PINZGAUER CATTLE

Help Support CattleToday:

PNZMAN

Reaction score
WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT PINZGAUER CATTLE.?

INTRESTED IN FURTHER KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE BREED AND OH ONE OTHER THING DO YOU RECCOMEND PUTTING A SANTA GERTRUDIS BULL ON ANGUS CROSS COWS

REALLY WANT TO KNOW

most I can tell you about pinzgaurs is that they throw a calf with a stripe down the back and get docked at the barns around here...

also try not using the caps lock because it's considered yelling.

While back Pinzgaurers looked promising, as a newer breed in this part of the Country. Not at this point do they show any promise of increased popularity. Seen em' get docked here too.As for the Gert Bull on the Angus cows, my vote would go to an Angus, Brangus, or a Charolais before the Gert, Just my opinion.For what it's worth.

You can find out about Pinzgauers at my web page here at Cattle Today Circle Red S and American Pinzgauer Assn http://www.pinzgauers.org Pinzgauers are one of the oldest breeds with herd books back to 600AD. Their meat is tenderer than almost every beef breed. Their mothering is exceptional - early maturity, great milk production. Their coloring makes them ideal for all types of climates - no eye problems - heat tolerant - insect resistant. Unfortunatley they came into the US late 70's after the other continintal breeds and buyers cheat by calling them longhorns even though they know different. My steers all yield 1 or 2, select plus, REA 13 to 15. Hard to beat that.

I bought a set of 15 pinzgauer cattle 15 years ago and just sold the last ones a year ago---they raised huge calves and had great longevity. the calves were docked on price until i started using a charlois bull on them. There are alot of longhorn crosses with stripes down their backs, that is the reason for the discount on some crossbreds. I wish I could find another set of pinz like those----Pinzqauers have come up alot in price here as people have seen what huge calves they raise

stocky":3axppfrl said:
I bought a set of 15 pinzgauer cattle 15 years ago and just sold the last ones a year ago---they raised huge calves and had great longevity. the calves were docked on price until i started using a charlois bull on them. There are alot of longhorn crosses with stripes down their backs, that is the reason for the discount on some crossbreds. I wish I could find another set of pinz like those----Pinzqauers have come up alot in price here as people have seen what huge calves they raise

really what kind of calves do you get with a charolais bull cause i have pinzgauers and am allways getting docked at the market with them. i dont show cause i dont have the time. so im strictly a market seller....

"thats right just stick with the basics and you cant go wrong angus bulls and any type cow will do well at the market...

im telling you thats the bottom line profit over extra work ...... "

Pinzman,
On a different thread, you made a good suggestion.

pinzman, with the charlois bulls, i got yellow calves. once in a while one would have a slight stripe down its back but yellow and white was not a bad combination to the buyers, they would see the length and frame of the charlois and they sold well. the calves got docked real bad when i used a limosine bull----same red with white stripe. I never used an angus, I cant say what that cross would do, but i am sure it would be good for color. In sw missouri, yellow is the only color that will sell even or better than black, with those two colors, the best frame calf will sell the highest

We are from NC Wisconsin. We have around 100 head of Pinzgauers, both Purebred and Fullblood. We don't have any problems at the sale barn, but to be honest, hardly any make it there! We have such a high demand for breeding stock and meat, that we are now "selling futures" for bred heifers into next year. We also have a local processing plant that will contract with us for as many steers as we can provide. He tells us he has a list a mile long of farmers with animals, but he wants PINZGAUER! I think that says alot for the breed..We are very happy with our choice. I am not knocking other breeds, as in the show ring it is hard to compete with black. Each Breed has it's positives and negatives. We simply chose this breed for the Tenderness and Docility. We also think they look snazzy out in the field! ON that plus side, everyone in our county knows us!

Good Luck!