pinzagauer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

tring to find out more about pinzagaur cattle and, if they make a good cross. what would they cross good with. what are some of there bad traits.

Dad tried about every continental breed at one time or another for crossbreeding. The calves grew good but we had serious trouble with birth weight and calving ease. This was 20 years ago and i hope the gentics have changed since then. Fertility was another challenge we had with them. This could of been a problem of the AI bull we used.

pat

> tring to find out more about
> pinzagaur cattle and, if they make
> a good cross. what would they
> cross good with. what are some of
> there bad traits.

> tring to find out more about
> pinzagaur cattle and, if they make
> a good cross. what would they
> cross good with. what are some of
> there bad traits.

One more problem they have is throwing that stripe down the tail. This will almost always get a discount. I have an angus/pinz cross cow and her calves even when bred to an angus will almost always have the stripe-excellent calves but striped.

[email protected]

I have tryed them with black baldys I do not suggest this. There were no calving problems but they grew lanky and thin with all legs. The temperment was great no problems there. The best cross we had was with a herford and simmental cow. but she was never bred and we lost intrest . I suggest breeding them to the same thing you would a simmental. The breed is very close to a simmental. I've been thinking of trying them again but this time starting off with better stock.

We currently have 36 full blood/purebred Pinzgauer brood cows and several young bulls. Have had nothing but success with out full blood Pinzgauer operation. Have had no more calving problems than we have with other breeds - our current herd-sire has avg. birth wt. of 82 lbs. Pinzgauer are very docile and a joy to work with. However, calves have never sold as high as Angus - neither have any of the other breeds we have tried.
We have continued to increase our Pinzgauer stock because we enjoy them so much - it has not exactly been a business decision. Their crosses do as well as most others - except Angus. We have done very well in the purebred world with them and will continue to expand.

If you buy very good seed stock - you will have good a outcome.

We also have a commercial herd and the crosses we like the best with Pinzgauer are Santa Gertrudis and Simmental.
If you would like to know more about the breed, I will respond more.

i really like them as purebreds but i dont no what i would cross thim weth. i am jus throwin this out so dont think i am stupid if it wouldnt work but what bout a shorthorn???? somethin to think bout

joe

Up until a month ago we ran a crossbred program along with our Purebred/Fullblood herd. We loved the Hereford x Pinz cross as well as the Shorthorn cross. The Shorthorn cross seemed more "delicate" looking. We have crossed black baldies, and Holstein crosses as well with great results. It's a matter of choice. :cboy:

We have crossed our Pinzgauers with just about everything. Cross just like you would do any other, what do you want? size, heat tollerant, etc. The hereford cross is outstanding was reserve grand champion pen at Denver one year. Yes you will almost always get the white stripe but maybe someday we will get a fair shake. The breeders in Florida and Texas were big on Brahma (Pinzbra) cross. One thing on cross breeding is where EPD are questionable if you cross Pinzgauer Tenderness DNA tested it is cross breed. Breeds that have been tested tough can be tenderized with Pinzgauers.

Latest posts