pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

Dean the hobby farmer

Reaction score
can anyone explain the facts about pinkeye I am using blue spray that is used for pinkeye ,both eyes has bluish color over them they used to have white pinkish spot in the center of the eye. Its turned to a bluish color but now you can see the eye ball is this a sign that the eye is getting better or is this a sign that her eye is going to get worst

I'm not an expert, so I'd advise calling your vet. I've never had problems with pinkeye, probably partly because I vaccinate against it some, partly because I have pigment around the eyes on some of my cattle. The best way to prevent it is keep the weeds brushhogged, which will also improve your pasture. I did have a heifer scratch her eye on wire once. I used a substance that is actually for horses. I don't know if I should give the brand name, but it sprays a yellow dust, and they say it will take care of pinkeye as well. Good luck!

I've never heard of a "blue spray" for pinkeye (but then again, that's not a surprise) here we use injections of LA200 and the eye patch covers if the sun is bright ( always in Texas) to keep the eye from being irritated.

The blue or milky eye covering or spot will receed when the pinkeye is getting better. Sometimes it takes time to go away

we've had pink eye a couple of times and this latest time our vet gave us a spray to use, but i dont recall the color of it b/c i ended up using some ointment instead, but being able to see the eyeball and having the white spot turn blue has been the indication of healing in the past for us.

Haven't had a chance to try it myself but my neighbor uses WD-40 for pinkeye and swears by it. He didn't know if something in the oil cures the problem or if just keeping the eye closed for a few days did it. He keeps the tube on and shoots a blast at the eye; doesn't use a patch. For what it's worth. Been awhile since we had pinkeye so can't help with the blue question.

If the eye was white and/or had the pink ulcer in the middle and has now turned to blue and the ulcer has went down then it is probably in the healing process. There is a good chance the eye may clear all the way up or the blue spot in the eye could remain and be permanent. The spray we use is a yellow tint, old timers around here swear by using fine mineral salt in the eye, makes it water enough to rinse all the infection out of the eye.

Dean the hobby farmer":2e2rnd71 said:
can anyone explain the facts about pinkeye I am using blue spray that is used for pinkeye ,both eyes has bluish color over them they used to have white pinkish spot in the center of the eye. Its turned to a bluish color but now you can see the eye ball is this a sign that the eye is getting better or is this a sign that her eye is going to get worst

There are about 30 something things that can cause pinkeye. Do a google search for more info. Vacinations aren't 100% effective in problem times. The last 2 years have been worse than the last 30 for some reason.

If you can't easily give them a shot of AL200, buy some 2g or 4g crumbles (chloro tetracycline) and mix with sweetfeed. Read the instructions. If I remeber correctly I was mixing 1 part 2g crumbles to 3 parts feed. If the eye's not weeping it is healing. Still can't hurt the healing along and it helps with their nature.

Latest posts