PINKEYE

Help Support CattleToday:

MoGal":4w7davlo said:
One can have the vet do a culture and send it off and get vaccines made from it and it does help. I did that several years ago and it came back as a "sheep" type pinkeye. I have no idea how they got that because there weren't any sheep around.

If they are in the weepy stage, you can add iodine (the feed store around here has a one lb bag) and I either put it in the 100 gallon water tank or mix it with the minerals. Within 48 hours they will be cleared up. If they are beyond the weepy stage, we treat them with LA200.

Most minerals have 80 ppm iodine and its not enough.
Iodine for pinkeye?? And what level would you recommend as "enough"??

TB i understand you aren't knocking the mineral. You and me are about the only two people on here in agreement on treatment for pinkeye. I have glued alot of britches leg patches over cows eyes. Only thing i have done different in the last 5 year is the mineral.

C...we had pinkeye last summer about this time and vet prescribed Tetradure + dex purple spray directly to the eye..
Worked GREAT... Tetradure was a one shot treatment... then we'd spray the dex a time or two a day... cleared right up and it was a pretty bad case... I seriously thought we wouldn't be able to show this heifer but now you can't even tell she had pinkeye.

Wisteria Farms":3k5i3sru said:
C...we had pinkeye last summer about this time and vet prescribed Tetradure + dex purple spray directly to the eye..
Worked GREAT... Tetradure was a one shot treatment... then we'd spray the dex a time or two a day... cleared right up and it was a pretty bad case... I seriously thought we wouldn't be able to show this heifer but now you can't even tell she had pinkeye.
that works real nice 4 a show cow but no way u can do a whole herd a time or two a day.i got about 20 to treat.

Wisteria Farms":1wabm7l7 said:
===================
We are always looking for a better approach.

How many did you have with pinkeye that you applied this treatment?

Did you get the same results with all of them?

TexasBred: I use the entire 1 lb bag of iodine (we usually have 10-30 head per pasture).

I ran across this and perhaps its worth some thought:

http://www.acresusa.com/toolbox/press/cattle11.htm
Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis, Ophthalmia, Sandy Blight)

Runny eyes are often the first sign of this illness, then they cloud over and look opaque. If treatment is not started promptly the eyeballs swell, ulcerate and burst — very painful and apt to cause permanent blindness.

Pink eye is caused by an organism that only operates if the host is deficient in vitamin A. It is highly contagious, but will only be caught by other animals deficient in that vitamin. In Australia, where huge areas are dry and without green feed for long periods, this can be a problem. It is made worse by the use of artificial fertilizers which inhibit all vitamins to a degree. Vitamin A is stored in the liver and there should be, in theory, enough from the wet season to see a beast through the dry, but prolonged drought and poor land may cause problems.

Geoff Wallace, the inventor of the Wallace Soil Conditioner, had a mob of Texas Longhorn bullocks that contracted pink eye on a poor paddock. Half of his farm was already converted to organic methods, so he moved the bullocks onto a healthy paddock and the pink eye cleared up in a few days. Easier than manhandling the beasts.

To treat pink eye the sufferers must be yarded as soon as possible. The affected eyes can be treated by pulling up 20 ml of cod liver oil and squirting three ml into each eye and the rest (14 ml) down the throat. This may be repeated for a few days if necessary. I am indebted to my local vet, Alan Clark, for that remedy and it certainly works.

Red Bull Breeder":2xyg743l said:
TB i understand you aren't knocking the mineral. You and me are about the only two people on here in agreement on treatment for pinkeye. I have glued alot of britches leg patches over cows eyes. Only thing i have done different in the last 5 year is the mineral.
RBB....like you, I lost my "source" for the Vitaferm mineral. It's really a great product and I swear by "Amaferm". And yeah I use to keep a stack of old blue jean patches in the medicine shed years ago just for pinkeye.

Mogal..the cod liver oil helped because of the high levels of Vitamin A...not iodine. A high level of vitamins in the mineral could help prevent a lot of common problems. One more reason to check the vitamins levels on your mineral as well as the level of trace minerals.

Yes, thank you Tb, I do realize the difference between iodine and cod liver oil.

Yes I couldn't agree more that one should be aware of the minerals one feeds. Also bio-availability is very important. I also think its very important for one to get soil tests and find out the trace minerals the soil is missing and apply them accordingly.

CKC1586":14csxg1w said:
How do they do in the cold climates???

The coldest we get is 30 degrees (but then we'll be 50 degrees in the afternoon) and it's usually only 2 months... but some fellow breeders of ours up in Nevada and Susanville, CA also have fantastic performing beefmaster cattle and they get an actual winter for several months with snow.

MoGal":3jspauu8 said:
Yes, thank you Tb, I do realize the difference between iodine and cod liver oil.

Yes I couldn't agree more that one should be aware of the minerals one feeds. Also bio-availability is very important. I also think its very important for one to get soil tests and find out the trace minerals the soil is missing and apply them accordingly.
Perfect in theory. Impossible in practice.

TexasBred":2tr6rhg2 said:
MoGal":2tr6rhg2 said:

Would you agree that this is why mineral supplements are so important? Some folks just put out a trace mineral block and then wonder why they don't have good health in their herd.

MoGal":27mwzxts said:
TexasBred":27mwzxts said:
MoGal":27mwzxts said:

Would you agree that this is why mineral supplements are so important? Some folks just put out a trace mineral block and then wonder why they don't have good health in their herd.
Absolutely....with trace mineral blocks that just about how much you get...a trace. And the ones I've seen don't even tell you which minerals are present if any nor how much but I assure you it's very very little.

DavisBeefmasters":38wk165h said:
CKC1586":38wk165h said:
How do they do in the cold climates???

The coldest we get is 30 degrees (but then we'll be 50 degrees in the afternoon) and it's usually only 2 months... but some fellow breeders of ours up in Nevada and Susanville, CA also have fantastic performing beefmaster cattle and they get an actual winter for several months with snow.

This is directly from our website pertaining to Santa Gertrudis cattle. Source included:

"The University of Missouri, under the direction of staff member Samuel Brody, tested cattle and their ability to tolerate temperature extremes. Cattle were placed and observed in climatic chambers where the temperature, humidity, and air movements were regulated. The ability of the animals to endure different temperatures was then determined by observing the rate of respiration, body temperature, feed intake, and the growth, milk, beef, etc of the animals. These studies found basic temperature thresholds where cattle are considered to be stressed. Straight Bos Taurus cattle (cattle of British or European decent) where generally considered to be under stress at temperatures above 80 degrees F. Straight Bos Indicus cattle (cattle of Indian decent) were considered to be under stress at temperatures below 30 degrees F. Santa Gertrudis cattle were found to be able to tolerate extremes at both ends of the spectrum. They could tolerate heat better than straight Bos Taurus cattle and tolerate cold better than straight Bos Indicus cattle. Source: http://jds.fass.org/cgi/reprint/39/6/715.pdf

Santa Gertrudis breeders can be found around the world. They are known for their ability to adapt to most any climate. In North America, Santa Gertrudis breeders can be found anywhere from Mexico to Canada!"

Latest posts