Pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

One of the first signs are watery eyes , they close their eyes alot because the sun and flys bother them. Watch for cloudy areas in the eye. Treat them at the first sign or it gets worse fast and spreads to the others.

I bought some calves at the ring and vaccinated for pinkeye...could the vaccine cuase pinkeye. It was vision20/20 I don't know if it is live virus or not

Thanks for the replies. Turned out to be foreign matter in the eye and it got a little infected. The vet gave her a couple shots and she's already looking great.

I calissify pinkeye as 2 types. Mechanical, an irritation to the eye from a seed or seed head, or other material and the eye ends up infected. The normal pinkeye which is psread by flys and causes an infection.
One other eye problem that can fool you is IBR. The eye will appear a little milky and a white dot will appear. The catch is, the white dot isn;t cenetered, it's off to the side/top/bottom. Pretty much the injection of antibiotic into the conjunctive tissue will clear any of them up. An injection under the eyeball membrain really speeds up the healing, but it's not for the faint of heart, or is a vet job.

dun

skip":37hy1qj7 said:
Thanks for the replies. Turned out to be foreign matter in the eye and it got a little infected. The vet gave her a couple shots and she's already looking great.

When I took my heifer in to get her eyes checked, the vet was working on a mature bull. He has a sticker burr under his eyelid. I guess I'm on the faint hearted side. My eyes were hurting when they finished working on him.

In the western Sierra foothills, star thistle is very common. I could fish around with my finger inside the eylid to get the junk out, my neighbor couldn't. My neighbor could give a shot in the conjunctive tissue, I couldn't.
We squirted some kind of numb stuff in the eye and could do anything you wanted without it bothering the cow.

dun

skip":r1yztj39 said:
When I took my heifer in to get her eyes checked, the vet was working on a mature bull. He has a sticker burr under his eyelid. I guess I'm on the faint hearted side. My eyes were hurting when they finished working on him.

Doesn't make my voice go up a couple of octaves like talk of castration does.

dun

DRB":w3avt1v2 said:
change the subject!!!I'm hurting :shock:

Latest posts