Pinkeye ?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a hiefer that has one eye watering a lot. I do not see any pinkness. Is this a sign she has pinkeye? What can one use to prevent Pinkeye? Thanks

When I thought my heifer had pink eye, my vet said that their iris look almost like a volcano under the cornea. Watering may just be a reaction to straw, dirt , or something else that they got into it.

I don't know how to prevent pink eye, but NFZ puffer works on it.

[email protected]

A cow with pinkeye doesn't necessarily have any pink visible in her eye.

Sometimes cows eyes water due to external irritants - a grass seed under the lid, dust in the air, etc.

But, those same irritants can leave the eye vulnerable to infection by the pinkeye bacteria.

An infected eye will tend to look different than the well eye. It might look glassy, more swollen, watering more, or if the pinkeye is advancing, the cornea will have a blue spot. If not treated, the entire eye can become swollen and white and the cow can't see out of that eye. Eye damage varies with how the infection has progressed.

Also, if there are many flies around the area, there are some that will land on the eye and rasp a scratch into the cornea, passing bacteria into that opening.

Keep a very close eye on your heifer. Pinkeye can advance very quickly. Check her daily. What is a watery eye one day can easily turn into pinkeye the next day.

> I have a hiefer that has one eye
> watering a lot. I do not see any
> pinkness. Is this a sign she has
> pinkeye? What can one use to
> prevent Pinkeye? Thanks

> A cow with pinkeye doesn't
> necessarily have any pink visible
> in her eye.

> Sometimes cows eyes water due to
> external irritants - a grass seed
> under the lid, dust in the air,
> etc.

> But, those same irritants can
> leave the eye vulnerable to
> infection by the pinkeye bacteria.

> An infected eye will tend to look
> different than the well eye. It
> might look glassy, more swollen,
> watering more, or if the pinkeye
> is advancing, the cornea will have
> a blue spot. If not treated, the
> entire eye can become swollen and
> white and the cow can't see out of
> that eye. Eye damage varies with
> how the infection has progressed.

> Also, if there are many flies
> around the area, there are some
> that will land on the eye and rasp
> a scratch into the cornea, passing
> bacteria into that opening.

> Keep a very close eye on your
> heifer. Pinkeye can advance very
> quickly. Check her daily. What is
> a watery eye one day can easily
> turn into pinkeye the next day.

Thanks her eye looked much better last night. I have not moved the pasture as I am waiting on the fellow that hays for me. I understand that tall grass can damage the eyes. I think I will hog the smaller pasture and put them up there until we get the haying done.

>keep aueoromycin crumbles, mixed with salt, out year round. this can help in the prevention of pinkeye as well as other things, such as foot rot. try the 4mg or 6mg. pinkeye is an infectin and if you give her a shot try LA 200 and she should get ok.. could be a gras seed or something too

[email protected]

I agree with the areomycin it is good for alot of ailments but it does get a little expensive.(I think it pays) I have always given la200 to pinkeye calves to.But I recently read an article that said the la200 doesn't penetrate the muscles of the eye and you need to give the shot below the eye lid.Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

[email protected]

> When I thought my heifer had pink
> eye, my vet said that their iris
> look almost like a volcano under
> the cornea. Watering may just be a
> reaction to straw, dirt , or
> something else that they got into
> it. The NFZ Puffer worked. The eye is no longer watering and all signs of pinkness are gone. The NFZ was in the Dog and Cat section. The folks at the MFA said it is no longer reccomended for cattle, but that a lot of people continue to use it.

> I don't know how to prevent pink
> eye, but NFZ puffer works on it.

L A 200 does not have to be given around the eye...just a normal injection as you would treat any other ailment...only my vet said give twice the dosage...Also there is a vaccine that you can give that will prevent Pinkeye..I had a cow withit earlier this year and gave a double injection of LA 200 and it was gone after three or four days...

> I agree with the areomycin it is
> good for alot of ailments but it
> does get a little expensive.(I
> think it pays) I have always given
> la200 to pinkeye calves to.But I
> recently read an article that said
> the la200 doesn't penetrate the
> muscles of the eye and you need to
> give the shot below the eye
> lid.Does anyone have any thoughts
> on this?

[email protected]

Pink eye will Not have a pinkness look to an affected eye. Pink Eye is spread from cow to cow by flies, they light on affected eye drainage, and then travel to a healthy eye and poof you get an infected bunch of eyes.

There is a helpful vaccine, for Pink eye, but quick treatment will help prevent damage to the eye from an ulcer, which is the common trouble caused by Pink eye, the first sign of pink eye will be increased drainage of the affected eye, you will also be able to see a small pin head sized ulcer starting to form in the affected eye.

There are old remidies used to treat Pink eye that work, staining the eye, injecting steroids into the eye, using an eye patch to prevent light damage and eye damage from rubbing against things to scratch the itching sensation, pet milk sprayed into the eye, etc. But ask your vet for the most affective and rapid course of treatment, this will prevent any permanent sight loss.

Fly control, ear tags etc. will reduce flies around the eyes which can contribute to the increased incidence of pink eye. Also cattle with no pigment around their eyes are more suseptable to pink eye, cancer eye etc., there is nothing that can help them other than breeding to solid colored cattle, or ring eyed/goggle eyed, to protect future generations from future problems.

[email protected]

> on this? I use Tylan 200. The injection is made in the tissue between the skin and skull. Entry is made by gently pulling out the eye lid and making the injection behind the lid. Use 1 cc top and 1cc bottom. Animal must be very secured or you might injure the eye itself and cause permanent blindness. Sounds a little scary but works great. Get a vet to demonstrate if you are not sure. Its a cheap very effective cure; done this way its lots cheaper than LA200 in the muscle.

[email protected]

What can one use to
> prevent Pinkeye? Thanks

Possibly improve one's sanitation, better control of fly and other problems. Also, Texas Longhorns are historically and generally immune to pinkeye.

[email protected]

> I recently read an article that said
> on this?

My vet said the LA 200 comes through in the tears when given IM in the neck. Many do the eye lid shot and it is cheaper becasue you can use so much less and expect it to seep out onto the eye over a period of two days or so.

How much (2gram) aueromycin crumbles are you mixing with 50 pounds of free choice mineral? I'm interested, even though my vet says it is a waste of money. There are other benefits of aueromycin in feed conversion and minimal (reduced risk of) prevention of anaplasmosis.

> on this?

[email protected]

> How much (2gram) aueromycin
> crumbles are you mixing with 50
> pounds of free choice mineral? I'm
> interested, even though my vet
> says it is a waste of money. There
> are other benefits of aueromycin
> in feed conversion and minimal
> (reduced risk of) prevention of
> anaplasmosis. don't mix aueromycin with minerals, mix it with salt. i don't guess there is a set rule, we mix 100 lbs salt to 50 lbs aueromycin crumbles

[email protected]

> How much (2gram) aueromycin
> crumbles are you mixing with 50
> pounds of free choice mineral? I'm
> interested, even though my vet
> says it is a waste of money. There
> are other benefits of aueromycin
> in feed conversion and minimal
> (reduced risk of) prevention of
> anaplasmosis.

Aureomycin(chlorotetracycline) is labeled for anaplasmosis prevention by the USDA at 750mg/head/day. Regardless of the strength you use(its available in 2gm,4gm,10gm,and 50 gram conc.), you will need to get pretty close to the 750mg intake to get protection.

[email protected]

> What can one use to

> Possibly improve one's sanitation,
> better control of fly and other
> problems. Also, Texas Longhorns
> are historically and generally
> immune to pinkeye.

I raised Brangus for twenty years and never had a case of pink eye.

[email protected]

Sam, thanks for your reply. As I explained earlier, I was mixing a 13 per cent Mag mineral with the crumbles because we have that problem. However I am using the crumbles with salt 2:1 as you suggested. I am interested in your reason for opting to mix the aureomycin with straight salt and not a free choice mineral; mine is 20 % salt. We have had a little problem with foot rot since cattle have gone to tanks to cool off in the Texas heat and I am hoping the antibiotic will keep the occurance to a minimum.

[email protected]

> Sam, thanks for your reply. As I
> explained earlier, I was mixing a
> 13 per cent Mag mineral with the
> crumbles because we have that
> problem. However I am using the
> crumbles with salt 2:1 as you
> suggested. I am interested in your
> reason for opting to mix the
> aureomycin with straight salt and
> not a free choice mineral; mine is
> 20 % salt. We have had a little
> problem with foot rot since cattle
> have gone to tanks to cool off in
> the Texas heat and I am hoping the
> antibiotic will keep the occurance
> to a minimum. i don't remember how i come up with that formula of 100 lbs salt to 50 lbs aureomycin. someone told me that several years ago, been doing it ever since. ours cows are staying in the stock ponds a lot now because of the heat, creeks, any place cool they can find

Latest posts