pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i bought a cow last week.when i brought her home her eye was watering.over the next couple of days it got worse.by day 4 the eye was almost swollen shut and the eyeball was discolored a kind of milky color.is it pinkeye and how do you treat it?i have been using a powder you spray into the eye without much luck.

[email protected]

Yes, it sounds like pinkeye. We give them a shot of LA-200. That works as well as anything for us. You might have to give a second dose in a few days to finish clearing it up. Be sure to give the proper dosage.

[email protected]

> i bought a cow last week.when i
> brought her home her eye was
> watering.over the next couple of
> days it got worse.by day 4 the eye
> was almost swollen shut and the
> eyeball was discolored a kind of
> milky color.is it pinkeye and how
> do you treat it?i have been using

We give LA 200 shots as well as squirting some penacillian in the eye. Draw some into a syringe and remove the needle then squirt it into the eye. We also get Penicillian in oil which is used for drying up dairy cattle. It is called quarter master...its expensive and requires a prescription unless you know a dairyman!!! Anyway the regular penicillian will work A OK! Good luck to ya!
> a powder you spray into the eye
> without much luck.

[email protected]

> I bought a cow last week.when I
> do you treat it?I have been using
> without much luck. I would suggest vaccinating her for BVD & Pinkeye both followed by shot of LA 200 @ recommended level based on weight never putting more than 10cc in a single injection site. Fly spray her and may also consider putting an insecticide fly tag in ear also. Good Luck!

[email protected]

> Yes, it sounds like pinkeye. We
> give them a shot of LA-200. That
> works as well as anything for us.
> You might have to give a second
> dose in a few days to finish
> clearing it up. Be sure to give
> the proper dosage. As well as the drugs you should try to cover the eye to protect it from damage.Remember she can't see out of it while it's crook.Cut a piece of cotton fabric out of old jeans or the like,about 5" square,put a line of contact adhesive around the perimeter of the eye and a matching line onto the cloth.Abit of spray or ointment on the cloth without fouling the glue,then stick it on.It will stay on for about a fortnight which is usually time for a full recovery without further treatment. We often inject small dose of terramycin under the second eyelid top and bottom with a short 22g needle, before the patch goes on. If you have a fly problem look at reducing it with dung beetles and sulphur in the diet/soil.Avoid the spray on chemicals for flies if you can, the Poms have a disease called Mad Cow which has been linked to pour on fly chemicals.

[email protected]

> i bought a cow last week.when i
> do you treat it?i have been using
> without much luck.

sounds like pinkeye..... LA200 (injectable oxytetracycline) is the best thing you can use for that.

[email protected]

Latest posts