Pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Have a Hereford cow w/ Pinkeye,start of a blue dot in the eye. Treated w/ LA200.but may have not used enough. How large a dose for a 1100lb. cow? How long before any results? Any other suggestions? Thanks,Rock
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

I had a simmental cow with pink eye a couple of weeks ago, her eye was completely blue and she couldn't see. I squirted part of a mastitis syringe in for about 5 days and gave her Pentalong. Her eye cleared up all but a tiny spot which the vet said may be permanant but won't affect her.<p>: Have a Hereford cow w/ Pinkeye,start of a blue dot in the eye. Treated w/ LA200.but may have not used enough. How large a dose for a 1100lb. cow? How long before any results? Any other suggestions? Thanks,Rock<p>
<br>

The dosage for an 1100 lb. cow would be about 50 ml (4.5 per 100 lbs.) according to the bottle. Sounds like you got to it early. You should start to see some improvement in a couple of days. Some times on severe cases we have had to give a second dose after a few days. If it gets really bad, some people have the eye lids sewn shut or put a patch over the eye to keep the sunlight and dust out. Or you can try and keep them in the barn for a few days.<p>Ed Hug<br>Scranton, KS
<br>

<br>: Have a Hereford cow w/ Pinkeye,start of a blue dot in the eye. Treated w/ LA200.but may have not used enough. How large a dose for a 1100lb. cow? How long before any results? Any other suggestions? Thanks,Rock<p>Mr. Rock,<br>You are going to think this is the most unusual treatment you ever heard of. I have raised Hereford Cattle for over 30 years and pinkeye is one of those evils we cope with. The LA 200 should clear this up in a week to ten days, however I have had some cases that did not respond to this treatment. My vet said to give as a suppliment to LA200 ( at a different site) a 10cc sub-cue shot of evaporated milk once a day for three days. Stimulates antibodies that will help with curing those difficult cases. Use only upopened cans of milk, So ten cc's is all you use from one small container. I have tried this and it works. Put a patch over the eye will also cut glare and help also.<br>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":trudhagm said:
: I had a simmental cow with pink eye a couple of weeks ago, her eye was completely blue and she couldn't see. I squirted part of a mastitis syringe in for about 5 days and gave her Pentalong. Her eye cleared up all but a tiny spot which the vet said may be permanant but won't affect her.<p>: : Have a Hereford cow w/ Pinkeye,start of a blue dot in the eye. Treated w/ LA200.but may have not used enough. How large a dose for a 1100lb. cow? How long before any results? Any other suggestions? Thanks,Rock<p>I noticed the date on this question but am new to the site and thought I might be of help in the future. My preferred treatment for pinkeye is table salt. I've used LA200 often with some positive results but in severe cases I've had to retreat once or twice. Blowing salt in the eye sounds cruel but it is without a doubt the most effective treatment I've seen. I heard about it from an old horseman and began using it with the best of results. In my mind it is less stressful on the animal than multiple treatments of antibiotics and easier on me in terms of moving cattle to a treatment area. Pour a small amount of table salt into your palm and hold your hand near the cow's head. When she opnes her eye, blow the salt into her eye and if you see immediate tearing of the eye you were successful. If not tearing occurs then blow a second time or third until the eye tears. One treatment and you are done. By the way, I checked this with my vet and while he was not a wholistic medicine type of guy, he said he could see the benefits and would not disapprove of the technique.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":zibk4i1d said:
: Have a Hereford cow w/ Pinkeye,start of a blue dot in the eye. Treated w/ LA200.but may have not used enough. How large a dose for a 1100lb. cow? How long before any results? Any other suggestions? Thanks,Rock<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":dqtj6jgm said:
: I had a simmental cow with pink eye a couple of weeks ago, her eye was completely blue and she couldn't see. I squirted part of a mastitis syringe in for about 5 days and gave her Pentalong. Her eye cleared up all but a tiny spot which the vet said may be permanant but won't affect her.<p>: : Have a Hereford cow w/ Pinkeye,start of a blue dot in the eye. Treated w/ LA200.but may have not used enough. How large a dose for a 1100lb. cow? How long before any results? Any other suggestions? Thanks,Rock<p>
<br>

Latest posts