Pinkeye vaccine>>>>Pinkeye?

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Vet came and did our spring vaccines on Saturday, including for pinkeye. Of course, by Monday one yearling steer had a watery eye. Yesterday it was a bit worse. Tonight both his eyes are streaming and of the other 3 yearlings he's in with, all of them have at least one eye watering. Argh.

We have just started to get a few flies and other than the vaccine, haven't treated them yet. It's odd how they all got it immediately after the vaccine. I know it's just coincidence, but.....

Guess I'll get them in the chute this Sat. am (if not before) for a squirt of Pen G in the eye and a shot of LA. (Never have any luck with the patches, they always come off no matter what we glue them on with).

Question--my Pen G is in the fridge, been kept nice and cold but expiration date is Feb. 2016. I wouldn't use it much past now, but do you think it would still be effective? Got almost a full bottle, hate to pitch it if I don't need to.

I wouldn't be worried about 2 months past the expiration. I personally don't treat with antibiotics unless I can clearly see ulcers starting to form, then I hit 'em with LA300 & Vetrycin. If all I see is watery eyes, I'll spray with Vetrycin a couple days & see if that clears it up. But if I were you I would mention it to your vet - that is an unfortunate coincidence.

TCRanch":r3zfc84s said:
I wouldn't be worried about 2 months past the expiration. I personally don't treat with antibiotics unless I can clearly see ulcers starting to form, then I hit 'em with LA300 & Vetrycin. If all I see is watery eyes, I'll spray with Vetrycin a couple days & see if that clears it up. But if I were you I would mention it to your vet - that is an unfortunate coincidence.

Thanks TC! I'm not usually one of the conspiracy theorists that thinks vaccines "cause" the illness they are supposed to prevent, but the timing on this was weird, especially since we have only had just a few flies coming out now.

I'm going to watch them until Sat. am. They weren't any worse tonight, and maybe a bit better (knock serious wood)...

When I see the first sign of pink eye I mix medicine in the mineral, may not help the one that has it as much, but seems to prevent the spread.

poorfarmer":1olvlmpn said:
When I see the first sign of pink eye I mix medicine in the mineral, may not help the one that has it as much, but seems to prevent the spread.

We vaccinate for Pinkeye & have free choice medicated mineral with CTC available year 'round; the only cattle we've had to treat in years were the result of stemmy bales in the winter. BUT with our outrageous KS wind we do have a lot of watery, sometimes gooey eyes.