Pinkeye treatment?

Help Support CattleToday:

fatcattle":iw1rlqgh said:
My Grandpa says you can treat an eye and it will be better in 45 days, or you can leave it alone and it will heal in 6 weeks. Antibiotics have come a long way since his times though. Micotil has been very effective for me. Much easier to handle than Nuflor and a lower dose than LA300. I use it in a dart gun and will generally see improvement in a week, if I catch it early enough. For the bad cases a patch of old jeans is about the best there is.
You can leave it alone but then you can lose an eye too by doing that. I use a strong solution of sea salt water and spray in their eyes as soon as possible, with very good results. However, last summer I had a calf with pinkeye or something like it and I didn't treat it untill it was very far along, thinking it would heal on its own, and it lost that eye.

We tried the Vetrasin gel spray solution on pinkeye and it cleared the eye up. I have put off trying anything new for many years. A friend used it on her own injury after being recommended to her. Our foal got hurt and ended up with open infection. She gave us a bottle and the open infection was noticably healing by morning.
Decided to take a leap with our personal steer we plan on feeding out and sure enough, checked for stickers, noticed a poke with pinkeye started, sprayed the gel in his eye, he didn't mind at all, put a patch on and turned him back out. Just happened to have calves back in three nights later, looked under the patch and his eye was 90% clear. I couldn't believe it. No injection, nothing but a gentle squirt in the eye. I'm sold! If we get a sevear case (we tend not to now that we vaccinate) I look forward to documenting the healing.
Hope this helps,
Double R

Double R Ranch":1wpiki1l said:
We tried the Vetrasin gel spray solution on pinkeye and it cleared the eye up. I have put off trying anything new for many years. A friend used it on her own injury after being recommended to her. Our foal got hurt and ended up with open infection. She gave us a bottle and the open infection was noticably healing by morning.
Decided to take a leap with our personal steer we plan on feeding out and sure enough, checked for stickers, noticed a poke with pinkeye started, sprayed the gel in his eye, he didn't mind at all, put a patch on and turned him back out. Just happened to have calves back in three nights later, looked under the patch and his eye was 90% clear. I couldn't believe it. No injection, nothing but a gentle squirt in the eye. I'm sold! If we get a sevear case (we tend not to now that we vaccinate) I look forward to documenting the healing.
Hope this helps,
Double R
When you do two or more things at the same time it's hard to know exactly which one worked. Ws it the squirt in the eye or the patch keeping all irritants away from the eye??

This isnt my first eye poke or pinkeye rodeo by a long shot. I have dealt with this a lot. It wasn't the patch. Might be the combination of the two.

Double R Ranch":k19106lv said:
This isnt my first eye poke or pinkeye rodeo by a long shot. I have dealt with this a lot. It wasn't the patch. Might be the combination of the two.
Nobody said it was but was curious as to which actually worked.

I have tried all methods spoken on this forum separate and mixed together. Nothing has worked like this. A patch alone has never worked.

I'm not having much luck with the vetericin pinkeye spray and will try LA300 in the eye or go back to penicilin.I know what works well but it's not approved for cattle.....genamycin.(spelling?)

This may sound silly but have any of you ever heard of Ap-Con A? I know it's for humans, but my son got pink eye on year and a friend said try it, it's like shooting a shot of benedril in your eye. The next morning it was clear, gone. Has anyone ever tried anything that is traditionally used for humans on cattle?

How long does it take for the denim eye patch to fall off if it is glued on with sale barn tag glue?

Just gave a cow her second dose of LA200, seems to be working fine. No eye patch, it's not healed, but much better than it was when I found her.

Have 2 cows and a calf with pinkeye. Pretty bad in one of the cows --eye looks gray when opened but its about half closed most of the time.
We are newbies and just getting our chute and headgate up. Should be done in a week or so but in the meantime can the vetericyn help if I can get close enough to her? She'll come close to me but isn't tame. We do have fly control measures we've been using but the flies are very bad thus summer. Also they're in very high grass right now. Any suggestions? I don't think out vet can do much until we finish the headgate and chute. Should we treat them all? Thanks! ( they're not vaccinated for it. Does it actually work?)

The high grass likely helped irritate the eye in the first place...

if she's tame, plop her favorite treat down (grass from the other side of the fence or some nice hay) into a corner of a gate let her walk-in, squeeze her closed in the gate with a pipe behind her arse to keep her from backing up and give her a shot of LA-200/300, then release...

Latest posts