Pinkeye symptoms in newborn calves

Help Support CattleToday:

George Monk

Reaction score
The last two springs we have had a calf that shows signs of pinkeye. waterey eye and a small spot appearing. From the symptoms I would think it to be pinkeye. The first calf was only 4 days old and this years was about 2 weeks. I gave them both LA 200 and the response was immediate and complete. Could this be pinkeye?

Get some of the calves tested by a vet. Get the cows from these calves tested.
Sometimes pink eye is a symptom of IBR. The calf that got it last year, is it from the same mommas a this years batch of pinkeye?

do you vaccinate your cattle pre breeding? modified live or killed vaccine.

Talk to your vet because this could get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

Then again pink eye could just be pink eye but...

George Monk":2yye4zfp said:
The last two springs we have had a calf that shows signs of pinkeye. waterey eye and a small spot appearing. From the symptoms I would think it to be pinkeye. The first calf was only 4 days old and this years was about 2 weeks. I gave them both LA 200 and the response was immediate and complete. Could this be pinkeye?

Had a similar situation last year and again this year in one calf. Different mothers. Vet told me it was more than likely an infection of some sort. The calf last year had both eyes that were completely cloudy, and could barely see. Had to leave him up by the barn for a good 3 weeks. LA 200 didn't seem to have an immediate response, but he finally got over it and was normal. Have another calf this year with one eye that is cloudy, and have just recently treated him.

My vet said if the calf is exposed to wind shortly after bird, the eye can dry out, and any piece of dirt can spark an infection. Thus, leading to a cloudy eye.

the calf was not from the same cow.

we used killed vaccines for the cows

This year's calf is responding again to the LA 200. I did see the calf really rubbing his muzzle yesterday but the watering eyes have stopped.

My vet was not too concerned with it. He thought it to be some sort of infection and agreed with the LA 200.

thanks
gm

George Monk":2cef74bc said:
the calf was not from the same cow.

we used killed vaccines for the cows

This year's calf is responding again to the LA 200. I did see the calf really rubbing his muzzle yesterday but the watering eyes have stopped.

My vet was not too concerned with it. He thought it to be some sort of infection and agreed with the LA 200.

thanks
gm

I had one like that last year I even about posted it. He was born with a cloudy eye, it looked like a contact lens. I gave him nuflor and put Special Formula in it twice a day for three days and it cleared up. I did call the vet and he figured it was an infection the calf got in the womb. We talked about IBR and BVD but since we have a good vacc program he doubted that. That was the only calf we had like that and the same cow gave birth this year to a healthy heifer.

If you have a vacc program I would think in all likelihood it is an infection from something.

the symptoms your desribing are pinkeye.but ive never heard of a calf that young getting it.is your pastures real weedy or grown up.if so hook the shredder up an shredd them.the grass an weeds are bothering the calfs eyes.

I bought 15 Charolais heifers in December. 5 or 6 of them came down with what I thought was pinkeye. I thought it was to early for pinkeye. I vaccinated them for IBR and shot them with La 200, Cleared them up.