Pinkeye/ stickers

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
What do you all recomend to treat stickers and pinkeye? We have problems with both. It has been really bad the last three years and I am looking for a better way to treat these problems. What we have been doing dosen't seem to be working well anymore.

Double R Ranch":ix515607 said:
What do you all recomend to treat stickers and pinkeye? We have problems with both. It has been really bad the last three years and I am looking for a better way to treat these problems. What we have been doing dosen't seem to be working well anymore.

To keep the "stickers" down we used to clip the pastures fairly close. Inout case it was foxtails and star thistle.
The treatment was to squirt soe stuff in their eye, the vet told me what it's called but I just called it "numbzit". We then would fish around the eyeball with a finger and remove as much of the junk that was accumulated as possible. Then a shot of antibiotic directly into the enflamed conjunctive tissue would finish the treatment. Keeping the pastures clipped lowered the frequency to maybe one every couple of years, rather then several every month.

dun

Dad used to have real bad problems with Pinkeye -- the whole calf crop as well as several cows each year.
Couple of years ago, when the calves first started showing watery eyes, I pointed out to him that the grass was seeding and was at the exact right height to be hitting the calves in the eyes. He started mowing pastures and hasn't had a case of pinkeye since.

Ann B

Ann Bledsoe":12ref3ul said:
Dad used to have real bad problems with Pinkeye -- the whole calf crop as well as several cows each year.
Couple of years ago, when the calves first started showing watery eyes, I pointed out to him that the grass was seeding and was at the exact right height to be hitting the calves in the eyes. He started mowing pastures and hasn't had a case of pinkeye since.

Ann B

That;s what I refer to as mechanical pinkeye. The inner eyelid will protect from a lot of that stuff, but it can still be a real problem once the seeds start to fall.

dun

The problem here is that first of all there is to much land to mow and secondly in this area it doesn't seem to matter what is done. Even irrigation does nothing to stop the pinkeye. :) Thanks and keep it comming. Any medications uses would be great!

Weaver":3kq4rf7x said:
How long does pinkeye effect the eye, and if one cow gets it, is most of the rest of the herd going to get it?

Once the bacteria is present, flys can/will spread it from one cow to another. The nest treatment I've found is an injection directly into the swollen inflamed conjunctive tissue.
Untreated it may just get better on it's own in a couple of weeks, but it may also cause the eye to ulcer and casue perminent blindness.

dun

if you think you might have a problem, the time is now to do something about it. u can wait too long! Trust me on this!

Pinkeye around here can not be left untreated. The strains in our area cause blindness and if not treated at all the eye pops out. With agressive treatment we are usually able to atleast get there sight back. My neighbor never seems to check his cows and we regularly see there cows with an eye hanging out.

When I was a kid, I remember seeing alot of pink-eye and eyes hanging out, but I haven't seen a case of pink-eye in these parts in decades...not even at the sale barn as dog food.

Latest posts