pinkeye, darnit!

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
While I've been every doctor in Baton Rouge it seem like, I had a black baldy heifer calf born. Just got a good look at it this evening, both eyes are very blue, the right one is almost white in the center.Calf is about 3 or 4 days old. Calf doesn't seem to be blind, though. I'll be off to the vet's waiting for when they open. Maybe with some luck, I can get it before the calf goes blind and gets too bad.

cypressfarms":1exe2a3a said:
Calf is about 3 or 4 days old.

Not trying to be a wise acre, but isn't 3 or 4 days too young for that stage of pink-eye?

Could it be something else, like IBR (longshot) or something other than pinkeye?

I've just never seen it in an animal so young.

Katherine

Up where I work, there have been 2 calves (1 one year, 1 a different year) that had issues like that. One was born with some weird infection in its eyes that looked similar to what you describe, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what it was .

Just a thought.

katherine

Workinonit Farm":1m2176ku said:
Not trying to be a wise acre, but isn't 3 or 4 days too young for that stage of pink-eye?

Katherine

Not to worry, I don't think your being a wise acre at all. Several years ago we had a calf at my dad's place that looked almost exactly the same as this calf. Vet thought that the calf got pinkeye from laying in wet pasture, possibly even laying on/close to manure. I'm not 100% positive it's pinkeye, that's just my first guess. I didn't see the calf when it was first born. The moma is a very good moma, so she's taken care of it. But those blue eyes popped out at me as soon as I saw them this evening. A lot of watery discharge coming from the eyes, and although the calf doesn't appear blind, it's vision can't be really good (maybe blurred vision), because it let me walk up within a few feet and didn't seem startled. Maybe the vet will tell me something else, we'll see.

cypressfarms":8o62jdqv said:
Maybe the vet will tell me something else, we'll see.

Well, whatever it turns out to be, I hope y'all will be able to get it cleared up without permanent damage.

One of the calves I wrote about was treated with some type of antibiotics (still can't remember what the infection was) but ended up completely blind anyhow (and in my freezer eventually) and the other ended up with partial vision.

Good luck, and let us know.

Katherine

I had a calf with that a couple of years ago. It is not pink eye. The vet thought it was just an allergy or something scratched his eye but said not IBR as we have never had symptoms and we vaccinate . I put some Special formula in the eye and gave him a shot of Nuflor (in his neck). The eye cleared up right away and his eyesight was completely normal. The calf wasn't even 24 hours old when I discovered it.

Cypress I reread your last response and I am thinking that the calf might actually have been born blind.

Good luck and let us know what your vet says.. :)

I'd be willing to bet money it's not pinkeye, we've had quite a few like that over the years, mostly in calves under a week of age. Eyes will have a white buildup on the eyelids and lashes and water pretty heavy, some will have that light blue tint but never noticed them being blind. I've always given them a shot of antibiotics and they've all turned out fine. Noticed it more common in our smaller angus-sired calves from heifers, don't ever remember one of the bigger continental calves having it.

Cypress, I think the suggestions for treatment are good ones, pink eye or not . I like hillsdown's remedy of a shot of Nuflor in the neck and then something in the eye, whatever you usually use, Naxel works well . I think at this point I would go ahead and treat rather than wait .

Larry

I'm open for any suggestions, and appreciate all. The vet opens at 8:00 - about an hour from now. I'm tempted to go take a picture of the calves eyes to show the vet when I go - that may help them diagnose. As Larry mentioned, it may not be pinkeye, but the treatments for what it might be are probably the same. Oh well, I'll let the doc decide.

cypressfarms":17a2d9k5 said:
Workinonit Farm":17a2d9k5 said:

Katherine

Not to worry, I don't think your being a wise acre at all. Several years ago we had a calf at my dad's place that looked almost exactly the same as this calf. Vet thought that the calf got pinkeye from laying in wet pasture, possibly even laying on/close to manure. I'm not 100% positive it's pinkeye, that's just my first guess. I didn't see the calf when it was first born. The moma is a very good moma, so she's taken care of it. But those blue eyes popped out at me as soon as I saw them this evening. A lot of watery discharge coming from the eyes, and although the calf doesn't appear blind, it's vision can't be really good (maybe blurred vision), because it let me walk up within a few feet and didn't seem startled. Maybe the vet will tell me something else, we'll see.

Pinkeye only affects one eye. If both eyes are cloudy and runny it is more than likely IBR. Was this cow vaccinated for IBR during pregnancy? If so what with? Secondly, is the cloudiness in the center of the eye or outside the centers of the eye? Pinkeye will be dead center. IBR usually wont. If you have some on hand draw up 10 cc of la-200 into a syringe. Take the needle out and squirt 5cc in each eye. Also, if you have some dex or banamine you might want to give 1-2cc of that at the same time. Also, you could give it a shot of pet milk as well. The pet milk will be recognized as a foreign body by the immune system and will jump start it into high gear and help to do away with what is ailing the calf.

Went to the vets, but all local vets are in New Orleans at some seminar; that's about right. I got the nurse/receptionist at the vet clinic to prepare an injection for me of Nuflor. Just gave it to her. My dad knows the "state vet" appointed by the governor, so we have a call into him.

Here are some pics taken just after I gave her the nuflor:

right eye, with noticable center milky area in eye:
eyeright.jpg

left eye, not a milky area, but draining fluid:
eyeleft.jpg

Shot from the front:
eyefront.jpg

I don't think it's IBR as I vaccinate the whole herd religiously. We'll see what happens. Monday I go in for more surgery, so if she doesn't improve my dad will come over to doctor her up.

The white spot from IBR is usually off center not in the middle. Don;t have anything to add, just thought I would toss that little but of usless informaiton out.

My little guys eye was almost exactly like the cloudy eye in your pic. It looked almost like an ulcer on his eye as it stuck out but only the one eye was affected. I am thing that something is bothering this babies eyes like an allergy or dust..The liquid I gave in the eye was Special Formula it is used to inject cows teats when they have mastitis , I think it contains cortisone ,we use it for pink eye as well...It is a wonder drug, you can get it from you vet or usually a place that sell OTC meds use half a syringe per eye. The other option is using a few cc's of white penicillin in the eye ..

en·tro·pi·on (n-trp-n, -n)
n.
1. The inversion or turning inward of a part.
2. The infolding of the margin of an eyelid.

Yes Beefy, new born calves as well as goats and lambs can have this condition..

Workinonit Farm":alcfagpm said:
cypressfarms":alcfagpm said:
Calf is about 3 or 4 days old.

Could it be something else, like IBR (longshot) or something other than pinkeye?

I've just never seen it in an animal so young.

Katherine

Nope, I've had to deal with pink-eye in a 3-4 day old calf before. I just wish I had had my current receipe for pink-eye!

I would venture to say, what you THOUGHT was pink-eye, was really something else at age 3-4 days old.
As far as I know, calves born with eye problems (or shortly afterwards) is normally IBR.
Also, cows with pink-eye in the winter is also normally IBR. Draw blood & test for it.

Latest posts