Pinkeye 2017

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Fall of 2016, I vaccinated with a custom made Autogenous Bacterin that covers about 50 different strains of Moraxella bovis and Moraxella bovoculi. The strains are cultured from clinical cases of pinkeye that occurred over the last 5 years in a tri-county area - Mason, Robertson and Lewis. The vaccine is made for Tri-County Vet Service by Newport Laboratories.

I have not observed a case of pinkeye and all the cattle have clear non-weeping eyes.

I look for pinkeye to be worse in my area this year than it has been. Fly populations are already up due to the unusually warm winter we had. Last year was unusually good for pinkeye, we only had one case.

Sounds like someone in your area is on the ball with all that pinkeye research. I need to look into a vaccination. I'm not sure what they even offer around here or if anyone has studied the strains in our area. Sounds like it's working for you so far!

Pinkeye was awful here last year. When my accountant did my taxes, he called to see how much of the vet expense was medicine and how much was labor contributed by my veterinarian. Gotta get those 1099's filled out. Anyway, none of it was labor by my vet. I used an autogenous pinkeye vaccine but the ancestor strain wasn't effective against the mutated virus. This year my veterinarian had nothing to offer so I didn't vaccinate for pinkeye. I am adding Vitamin A to the mineral and putting out back rubbers with insecticide. All calves are wearing a flytag but that's more for ticks. Time will tell. :hide:

Bright Raven":2cyjkoz4 said:
Fall of 2016, I vaccinated with a custom made Autogenous Bacterin that covers about 50 different strains of Moraxella bovis and Moraxella bovoculi. The strains are cultured from clinical cases of pinkeye that occurred over the last 5 years in a tri-county area - Mason, Robertson and Lewis. The vaccine is made for Tri-County Vet Service by Newport Laboratories.

I have not observed a case of pinkeye and all the cattle have clear non-weeping eyes.

I very much like the idea of custom vaccines, "designed" for specific geographical regions.

I don't think that you will have any issues with pinkeye, this year, Ron.

Latest posts