Pink Eye

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have a good suggestion for treatment of pink eye? The cow is not halter broken so it will be difficult to administer. Any ideas?

We have had success with LA200, especially if caught early (gone in a couple of days). There was a cattle pink-eye Gentocin topical spray that worked well; but doesn't seem to be available anymore (does anybody know how to get f this topical spray as it was most effective?). Then there is the salt in the eye that seems to work on some but not others (sounds nasty), but it either works on some or they just quickly get better on their own. At least, if untreated it will run it's coarse & may or may not leave lesions on the eye (usually not).

Catch the cow/calf in your chute. Give her/him a dose of 5ml per 100lb of Tetradur intramuscularly or subcutaneously, limiting each injection site to a maximum of 10ml, and forget about it. I have used the topicals (spray and powder) and the patches in the past, but with the treatment plan noted above, have found them unnecessary. Although, I will still use a patch if flies are bad or if it is in the (bright) heat of summer. Watch herdmates as it can be contagious.

bend cows":1snjzroj said:
Does anyone have a good suggestion for treatment of pink eye? The cow is not halter broken so it will be difficult to administer. Any ideas?

From a previous post.

Wewild":1snjzroj said:
In our area 4G (concentration of 4000mg per pound) or 2G crumbles contains chlortetracycline. Should be able to find something similar in your area.

Contact a Vet about the dosage. Mix with feed around 3 of feed to 1 of antibiotic of the 2G (2000mg per pound concentration).

I have fed 2000mg per head on 1000 pound cows until eyes quit weeping. Usually about a week.

I am not a Vet. Remember....Contact a Vet about the dosage.

bend cows":6ceer40o said:

LA 200, tetrajet will work,if not too far gone

Check your mineral program, we have not had pink eye here in yrs since we changed to better minerals..

There is a pinkeye vaccine which is mighty cheap insurance. I've been blessed in that I have never had it in my herd.

I did have a heifer scratch her eye one time, and used a substance that is a yellow powdery spray called Furall. It is actually for horses, but......

greenwillowherefords":37kxetdx said:
There is a pinkeye vaccine which is mighty cheap insurance. I've been blessed in that I have never had it in my herd.

I did have a heifer scratch her eye one time, and used a substance that is a yellow powdery spray called Furall. It is actually for horses, but......

If I recall, Furall is a a furozone product which is not legal for use on cattle.
The vaccine works in some herds doesn't in others. Fly control is the most important part of pinkeye prevention.
The most common treatment used in this area is to restrain the animal and squirt topicly some antibiotic in the eye. Seems like the most common one used is LA-200, but that's also the most common antibiotic used for anything around here.

dun

I have used a mix of Dex and Baytril and shot it into the eye lid. Kind of like making a reservoir that leaks into the eye. I also gave a shot of Baytril sub Q . Used a topical on the eye itself. Worked really well. The only thing is Dexzmehtasone(sp) can abort.

Scotty

dexamethazone and penicillin in the eyelid will do the same thing if u dont have the stomach for that quartermaster in the eye works ok

First, if you own cattle you really need someway to contain them for treatment. It can be an old dairy wooden head gate but you need to be able to put your hands on them when needed.
Now, having said that, I have a friend who used to get real close with a handfull of SALT and blow or throw it in the eye. They swore it worked.

We put ours in a chute & put a halter on them & snug it down. They do not have to be halter broke to do this. We use udder treatment - Today or Tomorrow & squirt it into the eye. Than I use a patch from an old pair of jeans & glue it just along the edge on the top & sides & place over the eye. This way she can see down, but the patch keeps the irritating dust & stuff & sunlight out of the eye. Than we give LA 200 or Biomycin 200. Have never had to retreat. Just leave the patch on till it falls off. Oh, we use back tag glue or K-Mar tag glue - same stuff.

Latest posts