Pink eye

Help Support CattleToday:

mdshoes

Reaction score
We have a steer who the vet said had pink eye. We have administered antibiotics in shot form and are now squirting antibiotic in the eye itself every other day. How long do we need to keep doing this?

We have a calf with pink eyes, and the vet gave it a shot of antibiotics, squirted antibiotic in the eye, and stitched it up. He said that should take care of it and we aren't having to apply anything.

mdshoes":8fmd22y1 said:
We have a steer who the vet said had pink eye. We have administered antibiotics in shot form and are now squirting antibiotic in the eye itself every other day. How long do we need to keep doing this?

You have a management problem.
From the Merck Vet Manual The disease usually is acute and tends to spread rapidly. One or both eyes may be affected. In cattle, dry, dusty environmental conditions; shipping stress; bright sunlight; and irritants such as pollens, grasses, and flies tend to predispose to or exacerbate the disease. Flies also serve as vectors. In all species, young animals are affected most frequently, but animals of any age are susceptible. The initial signs are photophobia, blepharospasm, and epiphora; later, the ocular discharge may become mucopurulent. Conjunctivitis, with or without varying degrees of keratitis, is always present. In sheep and goats, concurrent polyarthritis may be present. In goats, mammary gland and uterine infection may also occur simultaneously with keratoconjunctivitis. Appetite may be depressed due to ocular discomfort or visual disturbance that results in inability to locate food. The clinical course varies from a few days to several weeks unless complicated by other diseases.

3 shots normally fixed it for me. It takes a little while for the eye to start looking better. Pinkeye sucks. Look closely for any others that might have caught it and treat them early.

So, is it normal practice to have an ongoing treatment for full blown pink-eye rather than a one-day treatment like the vet gave my calf?

there are so many factors involved that I would say that normal doesn't really apply. The variables such as cause, serverity and stage of progression with all influence the treatment required.
Glue on eye patches are popular here they protect from dust, flies and the sun while the eye heals. If caught early I have found the ointment will work with a single application.
I think if the eye is no longer weeping you could probably discontinue treatment and just keep watch on the animal.
I have also been using a vaccine that seems to work really well. I only treat my calves once at marking time and haven't had a single case of pink eye in the 4 years I've used it, the year prior to starting on it I had about half of my weaners have some degree of the problem.

herofan":3apf1j13 said:
So, is it normal practice to have an ongoing treatment for full blown pink-eye rather than a one-day treatment like the vet gave my calf?

I don't use LA200 for much of anything but I do use it for pink eye. 3 cc's of penicillin in the upper eyelid and one shot of LA200 cures the pink eye for my cattle.

Yesterday the dust was out of control here with all the winds.

bhb, perhaps you might have more hands-on experience with this than I do, but wouldn't the eye quickly wash out any medication that was squirted into it? I seem to recall that this was mentioned in a vet lecture on pinkeye that I attended. I think it's the injection of the LA200 (SQ in the neck area) that cures pinkeye, not squirting penicillin into the eye.

Injected into the upper eye lid. With a syringe. Sub Q in the eyelid. First time you ever do it you will be intimidated. Then it's a piece of cake. Pull the eyelid, with the cow in a head gate secured. Inject and you're done.

Injection of LA200 will usually cure the pinkeye. Most vets will tell you that a subcutancous injection of oxytetracyline is the primary treatment for pinkeye. Sometimes pencillin is used, but the sooner you treat with oxytetracyline the better. I have used LA200 several times with success.

backhoeboogie":3ml72zqd said:
Injected into the upper eye lid. With a syringe. Sub Q in the eyelid. First time you ever do it you will be intimidated. Then it's a piece of cake. Pull the eyelid, with the cow in a head gate secured. Inject and you're done.

OK, I see....you're referring to what they show in the last picture of that document I posted. Thanks for explaining.

i use noromycin 300 plus throw some salt in eye. have cured lots like old guys used to, with just salt but you have to do it a few days.

Gale Seddon":1fjv7x86 said:
backhoeboogie":1fjv7x86 said:

OK, I see....you're referring to what they show in the last picture of that document I posted. Thanks for explaining.

I went and looked. That is not the injection point I was taught (by an old vet) but it probably doesn't make that much difference. I go in the upper eyelid.

herofan":39iea0q0 said:
We have a calf with pink eyes, and the vet gave it a shot of antibiotics, squirted antibiotic in the eye, and stitched it up. He said that should take care of it and we aren't having to apply anything.

The above is my situation. What should treated pink-eye look like after a week? The eye was running, droopy, and whitish when the vet treated her. A week later, the eye looks redish-pink and spooky. Is this normal, or should it look better by now? Does the eye still go through several stages before healing even after treatment?

takes a long time to heal back. depends on how bad it was when treated whether they heal completely or not. lots end up with white spots forever

Latest posts