Pink Eye

Help Support CattleToday:

Could be dust, pollen or weed/grass seeds irritating the eyes. However, the watery part will cause flies to gather and could spread pinkeye to them, or if one has it, among them.

Dust and pollen there isn'nt much you can do, maybe little goggles. Seeds, you can clip the pasture before they get in it. If they are on hay there isn't anything you can do. The major thing, wether it is pinkeye or not is to control flies. Pinkeye has a lot of treatments, the best bet would be to talk to a GOOD local large animal vet or someone thast is knowledgable at the local feed store

dunmovin farms

> Suddenly most of my calves started
> having watery eyes, could this be
> Pink Eye. Is there an effective
> preventative treatment in case it
> is.

> Ash

So Hay could be the problem. The calves are on a TMR with very dusty wheat hay being the roughage. I will try adding molasses or water to reduce the dust.

Thanks

Ash

[email protected]

> Suddenly most of my calves started
> having watery eyes, could this be
> Pink Eye. Is there an effective
> preventative treatment in case it
> is.

> Ash

The best preventative measure for pink eye in a beef cattle herd is called "BLACK ANGUS". Talk to any Angus producer that is not a rookie and has years of experience with this breed.

> So Hay could be the problem. The
> calves are on a TMR with very
> dusty wheat hay being the
> roughage. I will try adding
> molasses or water to reduce the
> dust.

> Thanks

> Ash if all you notice is watery eyes it is probably just dust, watch for the eye to start swelling shut, that is a clear sign of pink-eye. The old cowboy way to handle it is table salt in the eye(cows don't like this), otherwise they sell a yellow powder in feed stores you can use

Art, I am now using molasses in the ration, this greatly helped reduce the problem, but some calve's eyes are still like a faucet, it's just tears but I'm afraid it might lead to infection. ASH

[email protected]

Latest posts