Pink eye treatment

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes it is affective, there is also the new LA 300, which seems to be a longer acting product, one dose method I believe, but you may have to get it from a vet, not sure, one of the vets I use has it and I get most of my drugs from that vet for my emergency box

Good fly control will help reduce the spread of Pink eye in your herd,

It is also important to catch it early so permanent damage to the eye is not done, which can lead to blindness in one or both eyes

A patch, and purple stain also held the damaged eye heal more quickly, see your vet for eye patch treatment, this is the prefered method of treatment if the eye has a well establed ulcerative lession present, you want to treat that ASAP and provide protection to the eye

Steve Banks":rkv1gcz6 said:
Is La - 200 one of the best vaccine treatments? If not what is?

To address the original question, LA-200 is not a vaccine, it is an antibiotic. It does not prevent disease, like a vaccine does, it is used to treat various infections caused by bacteria. It is injected into the sick animal by a syringe. There are other treatments for pink eye that you will probably find more effective than LA-200.

They also have a powder - NFZ Puffer. I think that really helps if you can catch it early enough. I have also used LA 200 if it wasn't caught early enough.

Thanks, Hawk for correcting me. Other than prevention what would be a good treatment?

La 200 is good, but to make sure treat it as IBR. Even if you don't export & import that much. We don't import that much and one of our best cows' eye got bad we treated just like pink eye never went away by the time she was blind in both eyes the vet said OH IT MIGHT BE IBR... Well we solved that one after we lost over 2 full sized cows & calves. It might be as small as something stuck in their but when they get that white dot or red depending treat it as IBR.
Ellie May

There is a cortisteroid up here that alot of dairy guys use to treat mastitis. I can't recall the name of it but it comes in a little tube. You cut the end off the tube and spray it directly into the eye. The vet recommended it last time I had a cow with pinkeye. It worked really well.

In our area pinkeye is very bad. We are very interested in the Biomycin and Today treatment. Can you all tell us more about these treatments the way you use it? :help:
There has been a real problem lately with LA200. We still use it but only as a last resort. It seems to burn when injected and also leaves nasty knots that don't seem to be going away.
Someone suggested Oxytet instead of LA200. Haven't gotten my hands on any to try yet. :?: Thanks

Double R Ranch":11qlbjih said:
We are very interested in the Biomycin and Today treatment. Can you all tell us more about these treatments the way you use it? :help:

Use the Bio just like you use the LA200. I like the Biomycin, but really prefer the Agrimycin because its cheaper. With the Today, some people squirt it directly into the eye. I use about 1/3 to 1/2 of a tube and squirt it into the palm of my hand. Then I rub that into the eye.

Double R Ranch":11qlbjih said:
There has been a real problem lately with LA200. We still use it but only as a last resort. It seems to burn when injected and also leaves nasty knots that don't seem to be going away.
Someone suggested Oxytet instead of LA200. Haven't gotten my hands on any to try yet. :?: Thanks

LA200, Biomycin, Agrimycin and Oxytet are all the same antimicrobial, oxytetracycline. The only difference that I'm aware of is the carrier. The Pfizer product should be the best in this respect, but that's not necessarily true. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the Oxytet 100 is only labeled for IM use, plus it only contains half of the active ingredient as the 200 products.

I'd keep trying them until you find one that meets your requirements for no burning/knots. I'm not sure that you will, unless you go back to the deep IM route and its always better not to do that if you have the option, in my opinion. If the knots are really a problem for you, you can always give it slow in the jug. Although I believe that's extra-label for most of these products, its also probably the most effective route.

This was sent to me by another member. Maybe this will help. :)

PINKEYE
Pinkeye (infectious bovine keratoconjunctivitis) is a common infectious disease affecting the eyes of cattle. The name describes the redness and inflammation of the lining of the eyelid and eyeball. Although pinkeye is non-fatal, it has a marked economic impact on the cattle industry. It is known to occur at all seasons of the year and in all breeds of cattle. Pinkeye and foot rot are the two most prevalent conditions affecting all breeding beef females

One or both eyes may be involved. Excessive weeping of the affected eye and closure due to pain are the two signs most commonly observed. As the disease progresses, the cornea becomes cloudy or white. An ulcer (eroded circular spot) frequently develops near the center of the cornea. Cattle with pinkeye keep the affected eye or eyes closed because of pain and to avoid bright sunlight. They lose weight because they are reluctant to forage for feed and water. The course of the infection may run for 4 to 8 weeks, or even longer.

As the eye begins to heal, white scar tissue infiltrates the cornea. In most cases this scar will gradually disappear as healing progresses and vision will be restored. However, in severely affected eyes, a white scar often persists and interferes with vision. If the ulceration is severe enough to penetrate all layers of cells forming the cornea, the fluid in the eyeball will escape. This results in the iris and/or lens protruding partially or entirely through the ulceration. If this occurs, there will be permanent blindness in the affected eye.

Pinkeye is caused by a combination of factors. A good control program should incorporate procedures to reduce initial eye irritation.

An intensive fly control program is essential to limit the spread of pinkeye in a herd of cattle. The insecticide-impregnated plastic ear tags are effective in controlling the horn fly and face fly. These ear tags are also an aid in controlling the stable fly and house fly, and remain effective for up to 5 months. Also sprays, charged backrubbers, and dusts bags are products that can provide chemical control. Manure, weed, and brush management are necessary for total fly control.

Cattle often have grass or weed seeds in their eyes, and these materials no doubt irritate the eye and contribute to the development of pinkeye. Clipping pastures to reduce the amount of tall grass and weeds can be an important management technique in controlling pinkeye.

Ultraviolet light (sun light) - breed for eyelid pigmentation, introduce Brahman influence into the herd, provide shade or tree rows with ample room to prevent overcrowding.

Cattle with pinkeye can be helped by prompt treatment. Most antibiotics in eye sprays are effective in reducing the infection. Many eye sprays also contain an anesthetic to relieve the intense pain due to infection. A dye to act as a filter for some of the light rays is also commonly included and probably gives some protection to the injured eye. The aerosol pinkeye sprays are most effective if applied several times a day.

We usually just bring the cow in nightly and squirt penicillion in the eye, let it blink a few times then repeat. This seems to work well for us to completely clear up the eye so far. However we are going to try the previous suggestions!

two of my cows had pinkeye when my vet came out to vaccinate them a while back. He injected an anti-biotic directly into the tissue that surrounds the eyeball. It cleared up the pinkeye asap. I forgot to ask him which type of injection he used.

With LA 200, do you inject that directly into that same tissue around the eyee or do you inject a much larger amount (depending on animal weight) under the skin on the neck (like with vaccines)?

my bull is now showing signs of pinkeye and I'd like to take care of him asap with LA 200 and need to know the most appropriate way to treat him with it.

thanks.

We have about 150 head of cattle. A handful (3-5) are showing signs of Pink Eye. Because most have small calves and they are not tame cows, what would you suggest would be the best way to treat the affected cows? We can gather them once, but not on a daily basis.

If possible I would gather the whole herd vaccinate everyone for pinkeye and use a pour on insecticide on them all if you have flies now. Those that look infected would get a shot of LA300 (SQ) and their eyes sprayed with Vetricyn or the NZ puffer. This should clear up the affected ones and limit the spread of pinkeye. Good minerals with good fly control is important too.

Latest posts