Pink eye or not

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Regardless of what happens if she is not better by the morning I'll start LA 200 injections and squirt some in her eye also. Thanks to the great advice I found doing a search on the subject on this board. this is a great board.

That being said, I still question that it is pink eye. One cow has one runny eye. It is not as runny this evening as it was this morning. She is the only one showing any eye problem. I just moved them into winter quarters, a pasture with a loafing shed and manger attached to the hay barn. She was fine 3 days ago when I moved them in, I know because she is the most wild cow I have so I tend to watch her closer while moving them. We haven't had any fly problems or flies on the face for a couple of weeks now, getting too wet and cold, for flies. They have been banging around when feeding time comes, putting head through head stalls to feed. Eye appears to be slightly swollen around the complete eye socket and third eylid (?).

My question is how long does it take for pink eye to set in from the time eye becomes infected? Your thoughts, does this sound like pink eye?

Thanks,
Alan

That's a 50/50 at best.

Moving to new pasture, she may have come into contact with a seed or something that irratated(sp) the eye.

I have a heifer that 2 or 3 times thought had the terrible P.
So far so good. ;-)

Alan":3vkpvdr6 said:
Regardless of what happens if she is not better by the morning I'll start LA 200 injections and squirt some in her eye also. Thanks to the great advice I found doing a search on the subject on this board. this is a great board.

That being said, I still question that it is pink eye. One cow has one runny eye. It is not as runny this evening as it was this morning. She is the only one showing any eye problem. I just moved them into winter quarters, a pasture with a loafing shed and manger attached to the hay barn. She was fine 3 days ago when I moved them in, I know because she is the most wild cow I have so I tend to watch her closer while moving them. We haven't had any fly problems or flies on the face for a couple of weeks now, getting too wet and cold, for flies. They have been banging around when feeding time comes, putting head through head stalls to feed. Eye appears to be slightly swollen around the complete eye socket and third eylid (?).

My question is how long does it take for pink eye to set in from the time eye becomes infected? Your thoughts, does this sound like pink eye?

Thanks,
Alan

What are your pasture conditions like? Lot of tall grass with seed?

Caustic Burno":qy7fsjtt said:

No just the opposite, I'm in the process of becoming a better grass farmer, so the pasture is a maximine of two or three inches tall. Although the pasture next to it has pretty good growth of grass in it and this cow is bad for getting her head under the barb wire fence to get at the greener grass on the other side, she could have scratch her eye going under the fence. She seems to know how far she can reach before the hot wire comes into play.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":27lgyy5r said:
Caustic Burno":27lgyy5r said:

No just the opposite, I'm in the process of becoming a better grass farmer, so the pasture is a maximine of two or three inches tall. Although the pasture next to it has pretty good growth of grass in it and this cow is bad for getting her head under the barb wire fence to get at the greener grass on the other side, she could have scratch her eye going under the fence. She seems to know how far she can reach before the hot wire comes into play.

Thanks,
Alan

You are probabally right on the wire. A trick I use is a 10% clorox solution in water in a pump up sprayer. Can ride up right next to them and flush there eye.

Thanks for the suggestion CB. I just got thinking about what she could have scratch her eye on and it makes sense on the wire. I won't go into why I have such tall grass in my other pasture, except to say my wife has laid claim to it, and my cows aren't allowed in. :(

Alan

Alan":1ssb1ef7 said:
Thanks for the suggestion CB. I just got thinking about what she could have scratch her eye on and it makes sense on the wire. I won't go into why I have such tall grass in my other pasture, except to say my wife has laid claim to it, and my cows aren't allowed in. :(

Alan

Nough said!! :lol:

Thank you Caustic. I've been useing bleach for pink eye for years. I've caught a lot of flak over it but it will cure it in one application. Thanks

What also works is Dry cow mastitis medicine. The type that comes in a plastic syringe that you inject in the teat. Don't know if you get it over there, but you surely have a similar product. Over here it is called Penstrepp Dry Cow. Active ingredients a combination of pennicilin and streptomycin. Makes a bit of a blue mess on the face, though.

The best traetment over here is an ointment in a tube called Terracortril. Never more than one treatment neccesary.

Without having to pen the cow, a handful of salt in the eye will ensure that it is well flushed with tears in the event that something is irritating the eye. It works - an old timer taught me this one. Regards

Latest posts