Pink Eye is getting started..........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
I have been lucky the last few years, but I noticed this morning a couple had it and one in both eyes. They have rubs out and had the shot. It maybe a bad year for it.

Same here. We use IGR in our mineral, and pour on, but the flies are super bad this year. I have had just one pink eye case that I can specifically remember in years past, and just in the last 4 days I have had one cow and three calves come down with it, in 3 different pastures. The LA300 takes care of it quick, but I went to the store to get more meds and the owner suggest a different product. It has banamine in it, which is good for opening the blood vessels to get the medication there sooner. I can not remember the name of it (it is in the barn), and hopefully I will not need to use it. But if I do, I will report back if it is better...

What shots did you and KT use?I couldn't get my usual Pilligard triview this year and had to get Occugard?.Hope it works as well as the Pilligard has been but will have to keep a closer check.Treating eyes in hot weather is no fun for the cows or you.

We've put lights up on the working pens and have been working them at night. Don't want another one getting hot in the chute again. I'm blaming all the moisture (rain) for the surplus flies this year.

JW IN VA":1yevam1s said:
What shots did you and KT use?I couldn't get my usual Pilligard triview this year and had to get Occugard?.Hope it works as well as the Pilligard has been but will have to keep a closer check.Treating eyes in hot weather is no fun for the cows or you.
I used Alpha 7 with the Pinkeye added.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... 159aa45a1f

kenny thomas":3oqcuacn said:
I have it in 11 cows, one bull, and 3 steers. Sure is a job working them in this heat.
Heat, is it hot were you live? My old cows have had pinkeye so many times I believe they have a pretty good resistance built up to it. Another story for the calves. Hope yours get to doing better.

JW IN VA":1d1qe2q2 said:
I gave the triview to all the calves but none of the cows. My mistake for sure. I bought all the triview I could find this spring and already have an order for 10 bottles for this fall.

Sunday night I ordered an Imobolizer from Livestock Concepts. It should be here on Friday. That will at least reduce the stress on them when I have to give the shots.

If a custom prepared vaccine is available locally (some vets have custom prepared vaccines specific to the local strains of Moraxella) that would be the most effective choice.

I read about Ocu-Guard MB-1. Only one primary vaccination required of 2 mL. It contains 8 strains of Moraxella bovis.

Kenny, as many cows at once are they young cows? Hopefully this is a strain of pink-eye that runs its course fast. I gave two different types of pink-eye medicine as I ran out of Alpha-7 and believe the calves that have it so far are the ones I used the other medicine (which I don't remember what it was), I hope that is the case. The weather we are having, damp and hot is not going to help. Good luck on your cattle.

I have had 3 cases this year already, I always use a good dose of la 300 and 3 days later it is cleared up, but this year is different the 3 cows that I have gave la 300 to it hasn't cleared them up at all. I have gave one of the calves a dose 2 weeks ago and then another last weekend and it still hasn't cleared up. What is another good medication that I can try?

The three I have so far with it, I used Draxxon (5cc dart) as it said it was good for pink eye also. I noticed a couple more with a droopy eye so that may not be good. I don't know if it will work or not, but it sure isn't cheap.

DRAXXIN receives new label claim for treatment of pinkeye:

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/cattle-new ... 22904.html

jltrent":1dtfswuy said:
The three I have so far with it, I used Draxxon (5cc dart) as it said it was good for pink eye also. I noticed a couple more with a droopy eye so that may not be good. I don't know if it will work or not, but it sure isn't cheap.

Im gonna try something different on Monday morning but it involves feeding every cow on the farm for 3 days. It is the M&M feed. I will call you if it works.

kenny thomas":33fwk7es said:
jltrent":33fwk7es said:

Im gonna try something different on Monday morning but it involves feeding every cow on the farm for 3 days. It is the M&M feed. I will call you if it works.
It is not the same feed I get at JD's that is full of M&Ms is it? If it is I have already tried it.

John, it is the same feed but with 50G crumbles added. Feed it to them for 3 days and it get the pinkeye it seems. One problem I had was 1 of the cows that really had it bad will not come into the lot to eat. Back to the Draxxin I guess.

kenny thomas":1rhzcad9 said:
John, it is the same feed but with 50G crumbles added. Feed it to them for 3 days and it get the pinkeye it seems. One problem I had was 1 of the cows that really had it bad will not come into the lot to eat. Back to the Draxxin I guess.

Thanks Kenny were did you get the Aureomycin 50G crumbles as I have fed them 4G before, but it has been a while? So far it seems the pinkeye hasn't spread anymore and the ones I gave the medicine too their eye looks to be getting better. The one that has it in both eyes I believe can see now, but one eye still looks pretty rough.

Latest posts