Pin hole fuel tank leak repair

Help Support CattleToday:

If you can find any of the old fashioned water heater leak plugs that will work.

I've actually had good luck with JB Weld on steel fuel tanks. Just have to get the spot dry and cleaned up good before applying and let it cure before use.

I've got an old 86 F350 with more pinholes than Minnie Pearl's hat. Used a 2 part expoxy one time that seemed to do aright until I ran over a Subaru with the truck, not intentional. I took the flatbed off last summer to put a Deweze bed on it. While it was off I cleaned up the chassis a bit and my scraper blade went all the way thru the tank. Filled up all the holes with Pig Putty this time, that's my favorite stuff to use. My 96 has had the Pig on it for almost 3 years now, no leaks yet. I knocked a chunk out of the rolls on my discbine one year about 8" square, got in some wet hay that would wrap in that spot. I used 5 or 6 tubes of Pig Putty and molded a patch on the steel core, held on for over 200 acres. We use it at work a lot, have put it on steam lines quite a bit.

http://www.newpig.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_10651_12706_-1_2PPCRKEPOXYPUTTY

I saw an epoxy made for fuel tanks a couple of years ago. Don't know if it's still available or not. Check with your automotive parts house.

There is also a product I have used that you pour into the tank and coat the inside with that works very well if the tank has a lot of tiny holes to seal. It requires removing the tank and cleaning out any loose rust etc from inside but it works really well. I can't remember the name of the product but I believe I have a partial can of it somewhere and can get the name if you'd be interested.

More info added.
Go here to find the product I mentioned. I've used several of their products and they are very good.
http://www.por15.com

spoon":2inv11cb said:
There is also a product I have used that you pour into the tank and coat the inside with that works very well if the tank has a lot of tiny holes to seal. It requires removing the tank and cleaning out any loose rust etc from inside but it works really well. I can't remember the name of the product but I believe I have a partial can of it somewhere and can get the name if you'd be interested.

More info added.
Go here to find the product I mentioned. I've used several of their products and they are very good.
http://www.por15.com

I used that on my 4 wheeler tank and it has worked good, had too many holes in it for any other way.

Larry

Selleys make a two part epoxy ribbon for this .Break a small bit off knead it and push it on ,sets in 1/2 an hour . Thats the name of another KneadIt. You must have something similar in the States . a small pea size is best and push it on so some squeezes into the hole , lasts for years

I had a hole in an International Combine Harvester some years ago and I used A blind end pot rivet with RTV on the shank making sure it pulled up square. I drilled out the hole a bit so that I could get the RTV in . It worked a treat until I sold the machine.