Pimping your breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Black Coos

Reaction score
Do you every get tire of people pimping their Breed on here?

It seams that you can not have a trend on this site that someone, out of no where wants to throw their breed into the mix...We all like our cattle, that is why we , in theory at least, raise them...or in some case out of necessity...

I raise BEEF , to eat myself and culls/excess to the sale barn. I got into black angus because the others breeds I liked were to costly or just not within reach ( to far away).. Or course now 15 years later , with the computer, It is alot easier to locate Cattle...Because I do not think that PURE Black Angus live up to my exspectations, I cross with Herefords and Love my F-1's... Still trying to come up with a 3rd breed to add to the mix!!!!!

But back to my point, When a newbie ask what the best cattle for him to raise? , of course depending on his location, the answer is simple, raise what every everyone else is raising around you..It will be 3 or 4 different breeds ...YOU know that the breed and people (in you area ) that are making their living off of cattle will probly have the right cattle for your area...

Very often when the question is ask, IT BECOMES A PIMP FEST FOR EVERYONE PERSONAL CHOICE, with little consideration for the NEWBIE...

I my opinion , which means little, THE BEST BREED FOR A NEWBIE IS HEREFORD...........I do not own any, have in past . I firmly believe that Herefords ( I also think it is common knowelege) are the most gentle, best easy keeping , all around cattle there are PERIOD..

I am not saying that Herefords are the least costly to obtain, or will make you the most profits, but are the least likely to kill their new owner.

PLEASE ADD COMMENTS; I sure there is Killer Herefords out there somewhere....

Yes, there are some bad disposition Herefords out there. But from my experience, which certainly ain't with all the breeds out there, I would have to agree. Herefords are, as a whole, the best disposition cattle I have ever seen. And I don't own any either.

Black Coos":fwbr42yj said:
Do you every get tire of people pimping their Breed on here?

It seams that you can not have a trend on this site that someone, out of no where wants to throw their breed into the mix...We all like our cattle, that is why we , in theory at least, raise them...or in some case out of necessity...

I raise BEEF , to eat myself and culls/excess to the sale barn. I got into black angus because the others breeds I liked were to costly or just not within reach ( to far away).. Or course now 15 years later , with the computer, It is alot easier to locate Cattle...Because I do not think that PURE Black Angus live up to my exspectations, I cross with Herefords and Love my F-1's... Still trying to come up with a 3rd breed to add to the mix!!!!!

But back to my point, When a newbie ask what the best cattle for him to raise? , of course depending on his location, the answer is simple, raise what every everyone else is raising around you..It will be 3 or 4 different breeds ...YOU know that the breed and people (in you area ) that are making their living off of cattle will probly have the right cattle for your area...

I am pretty sure that is EXACTLY what I told the last newbie who asked that question.

Very often when the question is ask, IT BECOMES A PIMP FEST FOR EVERYONE PERSONAL CHOICE, with little consideration for the NEWBIE...

However when the question is posted on the BREEDS board would you expect Oldtimer to get on there and reccomend Dutch Belted to someone? Or Knersie to recommend Horned Herefords instead of polled. If it works for any one of us it's just natural for us to think it should or would work for others too. The only thing that kinda cracks me up is when some of our Southern Brethern tell someone in Montana or Maine that Brangus is the breed for them. But it still comes from a position of honest belief and not malice.
I my opinion , which means little, THE BEST BREED FOR A NEWBIE IS HEREFORD...........I do not own any, have in past . I firmly believe that Herefords ( I also think it is common knowelege) are the most gentle, best easy keeping , all around cattle there are PERIOD..

I am not saying that Herefords are the least costly to obtain, or will make you the most profits, but are the least likely to kill their new owner.
Can't and won't argue with that. However with some of their inherent "issues" they are not necessarily the "EASY" breed. It's no fun readin a post where a newbie is trying to describe a prolapse and frantic as to what to do since the vet is 3 hours away.
PLEASE ADD COMMENTS; I sure there is Killer Herefords out there somewhere....

Just my :2cents:

The two things i remember most about Herefords Is doctoring there heads one day and there feet the next. But that was a long time ago, all things change given time.

when we get qs from a newby that dont know much of anything about cattle,its best to go with the gentle breeds.so yes herefords come to my mind 1st.am i a hereford beeder no.i run reg beefmasters.but i would not reccommend them to a greenhorn.i bought a few reg polled herefords off a man that was 75 at the time,an they was wilder than the devil.an they might run over you if pushed to hard.he had 3 or 4 hired hands that done all of his cattle work.they done the hay baling feeding an all the ranch work.now angus cattle will run over you if they get the chance,an thats a known fact.but im not putting the breed down.the fact is every1 wants the so called black hided cattle an thats ok.

I guess when I see a newbie wanting to get into the cattle business my first reaction is to be nervous -- lol -- especially if they're looking for advice on what type of cattle to raise. I love my cattle and can't imagine having a different lifestyle, but I also know that it's a lot of work and not for someone who either isn't experienced with cattle or doesn't have someone close who is experienced to give them advice. If a person is thinking about starting a cattle herd and doesn't have enough cattle knowledge to know which breed to raise and what kind of stock to buy, then I think I'd probably recommend them not getting into cattle in the first place. That may seem harsh, but this is an industry where folks who don't know what their doing can get hurt, and they can lose a lot of money in the process.

paintedwolfranch":6kidmtl5 said:
I guess when I see a newbie wanting to get into the cattle business my first reaction is to be nervous -- lol -- especially if they're looking for advice on what type of cattle to raise. I love my cattle and can't imagine having a different lifestyle, but I also know that it's a lot of work and not for someone who either isn't experienced with cattle or doesn't have someone close who is experienced to give them advice. If a person is thinking about starting a cattle herd and doesn't have enough cattle knowledge to know which breed to raise and what kind of stock to buy, then I think I'd probably recommend them not getting into cattle in the first place. That may seem harsh, but this is an industry where folks who don't know what their doing can get hurt, and they can lose a lot of money in the process.
It;s called paying your dues or tuition in the school of hard knocks

paintedwolfranch":8jilrvqp said:
Lol, dun -- right on. Too true!
A couple of years ago there was a new member that asked the same question. Everyone tried talking him out of getting started because he sounded like a total idiot. His response was that we were trying to keep all the gravy for ourselves and didn;t want any competition. As I said, a total idiot!

dun":1zqtz8io said:
paintedwolfranch":1zqtz8io said:
A couple of years ago there was a new member that asked the same question. Everyone tried talking him out of getting started because he sounded like a total idiot. His response was that we were trying to keep all the gravy for ourselves and didn;t want any competition. As I said, a total idiot!
It is amusing when I go to meetings and such in cities that people assume I have deep pockets because I have cattle. If they only knew the truth; I would have deep pockets if I didn't have cattle. :cboy:

Isomade":3d0iwizi said:
dun":3d0iwizi said:
paintedwolfranch":3d0iwizi said:
It is amusing when I go to meetings and such in cities that people assume I have deep pockets because I have cattle. If they only knew the truth; I would have deep pockets if I didn't have cattle. :cboy:
They get "deep" from digging so deep trying to find any money

Isomade":3eccoqck said:
dun":3eccoqck said:
paintedwolfranch":3eccoqck said:
You don't drive up in a big pimpmobile do you Iso?? :lol2: Wearing one of those searsucker suits from Cox's. :lol2: :cowboy:

There are pros and cons to new people wanting to get into the beef business.

Pros. None of us are getting any younger, and in many cases those of us with kids, the kids aren't interested in coming back to the farm. But we need younger people to get involved in the beef industry.

Cons. Like some of you said on here some people think that just because you have cattle you must have money. They see that prices that beef is in the grocery store and seem to think that we as producers are making all the money. They forgot about the middleman.

If someone new has a desire and wants to get into the beef industry, we should encourage them, but at the same time they really NEED to EDUCATE themselves. If they are willing to listen, they could learn alot from those who have been around. They could maybe find someone close by that could be a mentor to them.

Yes, people "pimp" their breeds on here all the time, but it's to be expected. People are usually going to recommend a breed they know and are comforatable with as opposed to one they know little or nothing about. Who wouldn't? I also believe most people are really trying to help someone who's trying to get started, whatever they recommend. I do agree with whoever said that someone that doesn't even know what breeds are popular in their area probably should do a little more research before jumping in.

The only time it gets a little aggravating to me is when someone has done their research, has narrowed things down, and just wants a little more input about breed A and breed B. Then someone jumps in there and says breed C. So then the poster explains that they had considered breed C but decided against them for whatever reason. Well this gets the breed C guy hopping mad and he starts arguing with the poster about why his breed is better than any other. Shut up already!! :lol2:

I also love it when two breed pimps start arguing over whose the biggest breed pimp. Very entertaining, but then that's why I keep coming back. :tiphat:

Here is a link to the breed of beef cattle

http://139.78.104.1/breeds/cattle/

I think someone new coming in should really give it some thought as to what his purpose is for getting into the beef business. He needs to have more a purpose than just saying he has cattle with no plan or purpose to what his end product is.

DOC HARRIS":dts1vx73 said:
novatech":dts1vx73 said:
You should have posted this when frankie was still on.

What has happened to Frankie???? If anyone really knows, please enlighten me.

DOC HARRIS

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64529&hilit=pity+party

She left right after this thread, other than that, I don't know. I have a theory, but it's pure speculation, so I won't voice it. I do hope nothing bad has happened to her, though.

TexasBred":9pmj2jp4 said:
Isomade":9pmj2jp4 said:
paintedwolfranch":9pmj2jp4 said:
You don't drive up in a big pimpmobile do you Iso?? :lol2: Wearing one of those searsucker suits from Cox's. :lol2: :cowboy:
No nothin like that at all. I just drive my regular truck, a 2011, 1ton, stretch Cadillac diesel I had specially made. And all my suits are tailor made cowboy cut by my personal Taylor. But he won't even come to the house, I have to fly to New York once a month just to see him. So I don't even wear name brand suits. My hats are all made with 100% Beaver hide, by my personal hatter. I guess people must think they are name brand hats or something. I mean it's not like I walk in wearing Armani suits and Stetson 1000x hats. I don't know why they think I have money. :roll: :lol:

Latest posts