Pilligard Triview availability?

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about this for 2017? Still backordered here.Couldn't get it last year but would have been cheap at twice the price.
Some of the worst pinkeye cases I've had.

This area in KY is experiencing an epidemic of pinkeye caused by numerous strains of Moraxella bovis and Moraxella bovoculi. Dr. Darin Stanfield has taken a special interest and for about 5 years has been collecting cultures of cases he works. He sends the cultures to Newport labs in Columbus Ohio where they prepare a custom killed autogenous bacterin that uses the strains specific to our area.

I used it last year but this is the first year all my herd is fully protected. I only had 3 cases last year. I am excited to see how well it does this year.

PS: Dr. Stanfield believes the boom in cattle prices caused a lot of movement of seedstock. He thinks that brought in strains that were new to our area. The generic brands of pinkeye vaccine are nearly useless here.

TCRanch":wb15mg5s said:
Bright Raven":wb15mg5s said:
Piliguard is listed by Jeffers.

He wants TriView, not Trivalant. TriView is currently out of stock at ValleyVet and AtoZ, Jeffers evidently does not carry it but may be worth a call.

I see both listed in Jeffers catalog. TriView and Trivalent.
2801fmo.jpg

Bright Raven":gs7d9fej said:
TCRanch":gs7d9fej said:
Bright Raven":gs7d9fej said:
Piliguard is listed by Jeffers.

He wants TriView, not Trivalant. TriView is currently out of stock at ValleyVet and AtoZ, Jeffers evidently does not carry it but may be worth a call.

Good to know, I was looking online (hence the suggestion to call). Just threw my most recent Jeffers catalog away today (but absolutely keeping the new Valley Vet catalog because I want to order the Easy Drencher Cow Drencher :))

TCRanch":v4nfv8uv said:
Bright Raven":v4nfv8uv said:
TCRanch":v4nfv8uv said:

Good to know, I was looking online (hence the suggestion to call). Just threw my most recent Jeffers catalog away today (but absolutely keeping the new Valley Vet catalog because I want to order the Easy Drencher Cow Drencher :))

:tiphat:

Don't know nothing about pink eye haven't had any in 11 years that I'm aware of. But I use diesel fuel in my fly spray concoction. I do know Deer Valley Farms sure had a bad year for pink eye. I believe at least 4 bulls in their last sale had a white spot in one or both of their eyes.

True Grit Farms":16o8i5se said:
Don't know nothing about pink eye haven't had any in 11 years that I'm aware of. But I use diesel fuel in my fly spray concoction. I do know Deer Valley Farms sure had a bad year for pink eye. I believe at least 4 bulls in their last sale had a white spot in one or both of their eyes.

I have no spots. All have been treated early. When I have cows on the back 30, it is a chore to bring them up to the front of the farm where I can treat them. I am making an effort to prevent it by vaccination. I use permethrin for fly control. This year I am going to switch to Ultra Boss as my primary fly control.

Yes, it targets Moraxella Bovoculi which is, from what I understand, the source of most pinkeye-in my area. It's the strain that's been elusive and never before offered in a vaccine.

Chocolate Cow":3u1f38kp said:
Yes, it targets Moraxella Bovoculi which is, from what I understand, the source of most pinkeye-in my area. It's the strain that's been elusive and never before offered in a vaccine.

Moraxella bovoculi is the species. Under the species there are "strains". Cows are the same species, Bos taurus, but there are different breeds. You could think of those breeds as being "strains" but not literally - just an analogy.

In this vaccine (Moraxella bovoculi Bacterin), there are only 8 isolates of the species Moraxella bovoculi. It does not cover Moraxella bovis or any of its strains so you would need a second vaccine to cover those strains.

When you say "never before offered in a vaccine" that is also my understanding excluding custom vaccines. The custom vaccine produced by Newport Labs is the only one I have seen that covers both species.

Note: Some consider Boa indicus another species of cow. Currently, the proper classification of cattle is the following:
Bos taurus, with three subspecies:
Bos taurus primigenius, Bos taurus indicus, and Bos taurus taurus.

Latest posts