Piggly Wiggly

Help Support CattleToday:

talldog

Reaction score
Went to town this morning and stopped by the Piggly Wiggly( small country so. chain) and saw a ad for tenderloin 4.99. Thought to myself---Self, I don't care if it's select, it will make some good sandwiches cubed or not. Started looking at the wrapper on the whole tenderloin and what did I behold---- it was from Mexico !!! I could not believe my eyes. A small country chain in the South with Mexican Beef !!! We're a great country selling Mexican Beef----What's Next !!! We're going to He** in a Handbag !!! :cry2: :cry2:

talldog":2xwedjg6 said:
Went to town this morning and stopped by the Piggly Wiggly( small country so. chain) and saw a ad for tenderloin 4.99. Thought to myself---Self, I don't care if it's select, it will make some good sandwiches cubed or not. Started looking at the wrapper on the whole tenderloin and what did I behold---- it was from Mexico !!! I could not believe my eyes. A small country chain in the South with Mexican Beef !!! We're a great country selling Mexican Beef----What's Next !!! We're going to He** in a Handbag !!! :cry2: :cry2:

Now you know why there are so few "Piggly Wigglies". But it is a shame regardless of where you found it on this side of the Rio Grande. Bet it was "organic grass fed" as well.

TexasBred":eijjqvq7 said:
talldog":eijjqvq7 said:

Now you know why there are so few "Piggly Wigglies". But it is a shame regardless of where you found it on this side of the Rio Grande. Bet it was "organic grass fed" as well.

Black hided too. Do Corriente certify? :D :D :D

backhoeboogie":3lza73dl said:
TexasBred":3lza73dl said:
talldog":3lza73dl said:

Black hided too. Do Corriente certify? :D :D :D

:lol2: :clap: :clap: :lol2: Absolutely....small cuts and somewhat chewey so if you gonna make a sandwich out of it be sure and use some old tuff bread.

talldog":36ppdas0 said:
Started looking at the wrapper on the whole tenderloin ---- it was from Mexico !!!

Hey, at least at that store the country of origin was on the label. At the store where I shop (not a piggly wiggly) there is a sign above the meat case (almost not visible) stating that the beef in the meat case comes from one/any/all of the countries listed below Mexico, USA, Canada, Brazil etc. They also have one above the fish, pork and the poultry, with different countries listed. The actual package of product does not have the listing.

I haven't bought pork or beef at a store for years (I grow my own). I do like to 'scan' the meat case and look at the stuff and check prices etc.

Katherine

Down here the Piggly Wiggly's are not a top notch grocery store. The stores are dirty and old, and aren't located in the most desirable locations. My wife refuses to go to them.

Katherine, I wonder how many of us walk through the meat section just to check out what it looks like. Makes me sick every time I see how much people are being charged for meat; wife thinks I'm crazy to look at all of the packages - but she's very no nonsense and has better things to do than "look" at meat in a grocery store.

cypressfarms":a4yjmzwv said:
Katherine, I wonder how many of us walk through the meat section just to check out what it looks like. Makes me sick every time I see how much people are being charged for meat; wife thinks I'm crazy to look at all of the packages

Every time I go the store I do a quick scan of the meat section. Occasionally I'll buy chicken. Anyhow, the prices of the beef is crazy!! $6.99 lb for rib steaks. Ground beef at $2.00 or more for the really fatty looking stuff. One day I asked the 'butcher' what the quality grade was on that beef. The look he gave me was funny, I guess nobody ever asks. He told me......select. The pork can get a bit high at times but not like the beef. Chicken is very high these days.

The last pork and beef I bought, to me, seemed flavorless just texture (tough).

Katherine

My husband wonders why I look at it too.

A friend in the Dakotas was telling me of a local trucker who regularly takes Dakota beef carcasses to the east coast where they are shipped to Europe.

But then on this same trip he PICKS UP beef carcasses coming into this country by ship and brings them back to packing houses in the midwest ... wonder where those are coming from????

Why do you think packers will do just about anything to keep consumers from knowing exactly where their beef is coming from?

My wife bought some ground beef at our local Kroger store last week. The package had U.S., Mexico and China all listed as the source/sources.

Cowdirt":16du0ifv said:
The package had U.S., Mexico and China all listed as the source/sources.

not likely that it listed china. canada is usually listed on the multi-country label with the us and mexico.

well i checked our local pig, there is a yellow and black sign right the different meat sections that say's "all products from the u.s." looked at the packages nothing about mexico,...... course labels or easy too add or remove

The US has been importing beef from Mexico for a long time. But like the beef we get from most sources it is low grade grinding meat. Guess Hoggly Woggly wants to up it's margin of profit.
Trouble is, people are looking for a bargain,buy the low quality beef. Find the stuff tough and tasteless. Then won't buy beef and tell everybody "can't buy good beef these days" :roll:

mnmtranching":2hy99us3 said:
Then won't buy beef and tell everybody "can't buy good beef these days" :roll:

Several times I have overheard similar statements made at the local grocery. Often I put in my 2 cents and tell them, yeah it can be hard to find, but its out there. They're just looking in the wrong place.

Katherine

Well you asked what was next for the Piggly Wiggly? Last nite I purchased 2 large butt roasts. They averaged about 8 pds each - on sale for .99 per pound. Crazy I know at today's prices. I planned on freezing one of them and baking the other until I noticed something that made me cringe....On the label it said "Product of China". I am furious with this. Why would we purchase anything meat from China? Getting it here on a ship couldn't keep it from spoiling for one thing, but don't we have enough meat here with much better standards? I am furious with the Piggly Wiggly and I'm sure other grocery stores are doing this - we need to READ THE LABELS. Thank you for letting me vent.

Hog from China, used to be the houses were on stilts and the pigs were raised under the house, all waste including human was dropped thru the floor to feed to the hogs. No China Hog for me.

picky2yet":oxwpvtm7 said:
Well you asked what was next for the Piggly Wiggly? Last nite I purchased 2 large butt roasts. They averaged about 8 pds each - on sale for .99 per pound. Crazy I know at today's prices. I planned on freezing one of them and baking the other until I noticed something that made me cringe....On the label it said "Product of China". I am furious with this. Why would we purchase anything meat from China? Getting it here on a ship couldn't keep it from spoiling for one thing, but don't we have enough meat here with much better standards? I am furious with the Piggly Wiggly and I'm sure other grocery stores are doing this - we need to READ THE LABELS. Thank you for letting me vent.

By American. All it has is a buckshot load of antibiotics in every bite of feed they consume from day one til death.

Latest posts