Piggly Wiggly

Help Support CattleToday:

I didn't even know Piggly Wiggly was still in existance. At least they are showing the source of meat. Watermellon display box. Florida address all over it, but if ya look hard on the sticker that wants to fall off that watermellon real bad, it is from south america.

Edit. Hit a wrong key and its posted! Anyway, I don't remember which country but was one I didn't want to eat from. We had a veggie stand on weekends a few years and i will take a Costa Rican Banana over any banana. Dominican Republic has some really good stuff. Mexican anything sucks. It is all hothouse, not grown in the outside dirt like a veggie should be grown.

TexasBred":2dxoyxo0 said:
picky2yet":2dxoyxo0 said:
Well you asked what was next for the Piggly Wiggly? Last nite I purchased 2 large butt roasts. They averaged about 8 pds each - on sale for .99 per pound. Crazy I know at today's prices. I planned on freezing one of them and baking the other until I noticed something that made me cringe....On the label it said "Product of China". I am furious with this. Why would we purchase anything meat from China? Getting it here on a ship couldn't keep it from spoiling for one thing, but don't we have enough meat here with much better standards? I am furious with the Piggly Wiggly and I'm sure other grocery stores are doing this - we need to READ THE LABELS. Thank you for letting me vent.

By American. All it has is a buckshot load of antibiotics in every bite of feed they consume from day one til death.

Saw "buckshot" and thought you were talking about the guys that get their cattle out of the brush with shotguns. I believe the guy posting here said he used birdshot though.

And of course, cattle don't eat antibiotics from day one - only after they hit the feedlot to keep from getting liver abscesses on all the hot feed. And chicken litter, gummy bears, etc. Read about a guy trying to feed cattle sawdust from his sawmill - had to soak it in nitric acid first, as I recall. Adds a mineral supplement to make sure it is all nutritious.

djinwa":atvqls27 said:
Read about a guy trying to feed cattle sawdust from his sawmill - had to soak it in nitric acid first, as I recall. Adds a mineral supplement to make sure it is all nutritious.

If the animal he is feeding has a black hide, its all good. People will pay a premium for the best.

talldog":l0t8ojov said:
I hope its for these Libs that eat that sh** !! If you don't raise it----Don't eat it !!!! :wave:
that's the way we do it.........

in the last month, about 16,000 pigs, and over 1,000 ducks, have been pulled dead from Chinese rivers.
Some reports say 20,000 pigs.
What the heck is going on over there?

Kroger meat is labeled that the meat may be from Canada, Mexico or U.S.A.

Lowe's (panhandle area) carries U.S. beef plus another label that is from Mexico. The Mexican beef is cheaper than the U.S.

Workinonit Farm":enawj7ot said:
cypressfarms":enawj7ot said:
Katherine, I wonder how many of us walk through the meat section just to check out what it looks like. Makes me sick every time I see how much people are being charged for meat; wife thinks I'm crazy to look at all of the packages

Every time I go the store I do a quick scan of the meat section. Occasionally I'll buy chicken. Anyhow, the prices of the beef is crazy!! $6.99 lb for rib steaks. Ground beef at $2.00 or more for the really fatty looking stuff. One day I asked the 'butcher' what the quality grade was on that beef. The look he gave me was funny, I guess nobody ever asks. He told me......select. The pork can get a bit high at times but not like the beef. Chicken is very high these days.

The last pork and beef I bought, to me, seemed flavorless just texture (tough).

Katherine

My husband wonders why I look at it too.
$6.99 lb ribeye is pretty cheap compared to what I've seen around here.
I have not seen any beef from China, and find it really odd that we would buy beef from a nation that bans importing our beef into their market. If their market is open for US beef, it must be a recent change. AFAIK, the only place in China we can export beef to is Hong Kong perfecture.

The first U.S. bone-in beef products to land in Hong Kong in more than 9 years were presented in the marketplace today (March 8, 2013). The mix of U.S. chilled bone-in ribeyes, tomahawk cut ribeyes, and bone-in short ribs debuted at an open house purchasing reception organized by a Hong Kong beef importer, less than two weeks after the USDA's Feb. 25 announcement of new access eligibility. U.S. boneless cuts from all ages of animals, and bone-in beef from cattle-30 months and younger can now enter Hong Kong. The new access excludes variety meat, but includes inside and outside skirt meat.

The way I see it is the beef check off is a waste of money. Why the heck are they not spending our check off money informing the citizens of this country to buy USA raised beef???? Oh yeah that's right the big wigs here own the ranches in Mexico and other places like Costa Rica. Some people will do anything for a dollar.

picky2yet":1571o6nj said:
Well you asked what was next for the Piggly Wiggly? Last nite I purchased 2 large butt roasts. They averaged about 8 pds each - on sale for .99 per pound. Crazy I know at today's prices. I planned on freezing one of them and baking the other until I noticed something that made me cringe....On the label it said "Product of China". I am furious with this. Why would we purchase anything meat from China? Getting it here on a ship couldn't keep it from spoiling for one thing, but don't we have enough meat here with much better standards? I am furious with the Piggly Wiggly and I'm sure other grocery stores are doing this - we need to READ THE LABELS. Thank you for letting me vent.

I spent several years importing from China and exporting to China. I spent 100 to 150 days per year in China (over 350 cities) and never saw a single beef cow. The beef that they eat locally comes from dairy cows and Brahman type draft animals. They have been shipping things here in refrigerated / frozen shipping containers so getting meat here in good shape would not be a problem.......getting GOOD beef here would be. I would have no idea on where they would raise enough beef cattle for export anyway. I have eaten allot of imported beef in China. Mostly from South America or Australia.

greybeard":383jk43v said:
Workinonit Farm":383jk43v said:
$6.99 lb for rib steaks.
Katherine
$6.99 lb ribeye is pretty cheap compared to what I've seen around here.
[/quote]

My post was originally posted in 2009.....I haven't checked recently as to what ribeye goes for these days. saw some chuck going for around $5.00 not that long ago.

Been years since I've bought beef from a store, same with pork. We grow our own.

Katherine

Latest posts