Pigeion Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

ctlbaron

Reaction score
I'm gonna be moving some steers to another place. The barn has not been used in about 10 years or better. I've been cleaning and sanitizing for a couple of weeks. The problem is I've still got about 20 pigeions roosting in it. Besides the 22 magnum with rat shot, what are some other ways to get rid of them?

ctlbaron":2a5gxofq said:
I'm gonna be moving some steers to another place. The barn has not been used in about 10 years or better. I've been cleaning and sanitizing for a couple of weeks. The problem is I've still got about 20 pigeions roosting in it. Besides the 22 magnum with rat shot, what are some other ways to get rid of them?
Baron, Go down to the costume rental place and rent you an Owl Suit. Stay up in them rafters for a few nites scaring the heck out of those pigeons. I guarantee you'll get so tired of it, you'll realize it's just easier to let em' stay! :shock:

Pellet gun or .22 (depending on how many holes you want to make in the roof) about 2-3 hours after sundown. Take a flashlight. And have fun. :D First night, they'll sit while you pick them off, so take out as many as you can as quick as you can, because they'll know what's up by the second night.

Alternately, might see if you can find someone who trains hunting dawgs. I do, and I know I'm always on the lookout for good places to get pigeons. Dead or alive. :lol:

Ctlbaron,

Find a couple of local boys about 10 years old who have BBguns, supply them with the BBs and pay them $.50 per pigeon. In a day or so the pigeons should be "GONE". If the piegons get scary and fly away, wait until after dark and spotlight then with a light when they are on roost.

This way you get what you want and the boys, ..... well they get to do what boys are suppose to do.

I can always depend on my friend Crowder to have a unique solution to my problems. The owl suit is to hot and itchy. Paint, I'd rather have holes in the tin than fire in the barn. I tried one of those plastic owls before. The pigeons enjoyed sitting on it and pooping on the floor. Whats next Crowder? Dynamite? :lol:

Crowderfarms":w0lx3o4v said:
ctlbaron":w0lx3o4v said:
Baron, Go down to the costume rental place and rent you an Owl Suit. Stay up in them rafters for a few nites scaring the heck out of those pigeons. I guarantee you'll get so tired of it, you'll realize it's just easier to let em' stay! :shock:

:lol2: :lol2: :nod:

A less lethal way is to use the laser pointer lights. Shine them in their eyes until they leave.

Another solution you might look into is Avitrol, if it is labeled for pigeons. It is basically a chemical formulation that can best be described as LSD for birds. It is fed to them after they have been baited with corn or grain, etc. The Avitrol causes them to become disoriented and they learn not to come there for feeding anymore.

Just funnin with you Baron. Seriously, you could try puttin some bird dogs in the barn for a while. All the racket they'll stir up would drive off anything.

Nay, the noise won't drive them away. I take my girlfriend over there all the time. They're still there. I guess it's possible they could be deaf. 8)

TNT. blast 'em. or feed them dry rice. the absolute LAST resort would be get a fritty frat.

The other day hubby & I were walking into Wal Mort- I just happened to look up at the Wal Mart sign- There neatly placed were TWO of the owl decoys you sometimes see in gardens to repel varmits. One on the WAl, one an the Mart. Saw no pigeons...................? Could it be??

We have a supermarket that has the two fake owls on the front of the roof. The pegions just roost between them. They learn that inanimate objects will not harm them.

We have three Great Horned owls that roost here...no pidgeon problem and the neighbor's flock had dwindled considerably.

Years ago I was living in Yuma, AZ when the seed plant decided to get rid of the pidgeons that swarmed the docks every morning to feed. Seemed that they used a really fast acting poison and timed it well.
The pidgeons roosted down town in the afternoon and at exactly two o'clock it started raining birds in the mall. Made the papers and the seed folks owned up to the mistery.

Latest posts