Pig Roast

Help Support CattleToday:

terra8186

Reaction score
I just cleaned a pig for a pig roast. We were going to clean it and then start cooking it. My friend was told that you needed to cool the meat before you cook it. He was told that people might get sick.

This seems like B.S. to me. Any opinions?

I believe the main idea would be that it needs to either get below 40 degrees quickly or above 100 degrees on it's way to being cooked at 160+ degrees as soon as possible. I think some research will show that cooling it and letting and letting the muscles relax can make it seem more tender, I am not sure how much more tender though. I really don't think it would cause any problems if you butcher and start the roasting process immediately. But this is only my opinion and worth all of what you paid for it. :nod:

We chill the ferals in an ice chest with a touch of vinegar added. We flush them with water a few times and keep adding ice. It absolutely cleans the meat up tremendously.

I don't know if it is a "have to do" thing or not. I wouldn't do it any other way with a domestic or feral.

I have read several articles by chef's on cooking beef and many of them suggest letting the meat reach room temperature before cooking it and they suggest against cooking a cold cut of meat. Don't know how this applies to a pig but it seems it would be the same principle. Chilling a carcus allows the butcher to cut it easier.

No one will get sick. But, a hog should be cooled down completely before cooking. That is if you want it to be a good eating experience. REALLY! ask a butcher.
Something about the blood and meat juices need to be chilled other wise the meat will have a unpleasant flavor.

Latest posts