Pig Pen /Goat pen Question

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I plan on putting in some new pig pens but thought about leaving the trees in them. What would you do? I can easily doze them out the way. I was trying to do the least amount of work and expense as possible.

IMG_20170121_143535286_zpsb3mmbskz.jpg

IMG_20170121_143431042_zpsptt5hk26.jpg

well the pigs will kill them and they will fall on your fence and the hogs will escape and contribute toward the wild hog problem....

goats will help clean it up and convert it to grass.

pdfangus":2cn3qkfy said:
well the pigs will kill them and they will fall on your fence and the hogs will escape and contribute toward the wild hog problem....

I guess I will fire up a dozer or either leave a few in there for shade but cut majority down.

well we had a guy here that built hog pens in his woods and spent the next few years fixing fences from dead trees falling on them...a bunch of hogs confined to an area are gonna root and dig up tree roots...maybe wild hogs spread it out over more area and do less tree damage...they did not kill all the trees but they sure killed a bunch...

Back in the day folks used hogs to open new land....

Stocker Steve":1jmm5qbq said:
pdfangus":1jmm5qbq said:
Back in the day folks used hogs to open new land....

Are u saying I am bakword ?

Far from it....

Just stating how I saw things done in the immediate post WWII era, and my forebearers said this is how it was done...before people could afford bulldozers and trackhoes. Raised hogs for meat and let them help open new land. cut down what trees were left....often the new land would first go into pasture to give the stumps time to rot a little. might come back with the hogs a while later for a second pass...there was a time when people dug out stumps by hand....a little help from hogs was a lot of help....

So would pigs kill bigger trees like a mature oak? I know acorns are supposed to be bad for horses and cattle but what about pigs? Would acorns hurt a goat?

wacocowboy":1xgy1e6h said:
So would pigs kill bigger trees like a mature oak? I know acorns are supposed to be bad for horses and cattle but what about pigs? Would acorns hurt a goat?
Hogs thrive on acorns, haven't seen any negative effects of acorns on goats.

RanchMan90":et5ofony said:
wacocowboy":et5ofony said:
Yes, hogs LOVE acorns. Depending on weight & size of herd, hard to say amount of damage done to trees; but by rooting alone they do a lot of damage. They do need shade in the summer, so it would be nice to leave some big trees for shade.

RanchMan90":1oe1came said:
wacocowboy":1oe1came said:

ditto

backhoeboogie":hru655me said:
pdfangus":hru655me said:

If his fence will hold water, it will hold goats.

not that bad....my are trained to hot wire...but it takes two or three wires and they have to get zapped a time or two to figure it out...they are smart enough that they will figure out if you turn it off to go thru it then they can too...

RanchMan90":oqsnaavw said:
wacocowboy":oqsnaavw said:

Does anything have a negative affect on goats? :lol2:

Atimm693":whrln5k3 said:
RanchMan90":whrln5k3 said:
wacocowboy":whrln5k3 said:

Despite what many people think a goat can't eat anything... There are lots of common everyday plants that can kill goats black flag dead

skyhightree1":2ek672v6 said:
Atimm693":2ek672v6 said:
RanchMan90":2ek672v6 said:

Despite what many people think a goat can't eat anything... There are lots of common everyday plants that can kill goats black flag dead

I concur with Sky...

goats are actually fairly fragile and their inquisitive nature leads them to get into perilous situations
they are less hardy and more subject to parasites than sheep....
But I just don't care much for the wooly boogers. the goats are smart and entertaining to be around...

Latest posts