Pig Bomb

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I just watched a program on discovery channel called "pig bomb". The show dealed with the wild pig explosion in the U.S. and how the pigs (hogs) are out of control in the U.S. and geniticaly going back to European (sp) wild hogs.

Anyone see the show?, any thoughts? hype?, fact? BS?

Thoughts,
Alan

I did not see the show but the bomb has dropped here. Only a few around until this year and then the population exploded. How do you stop them?

A lot of it was filmed in my neck of the woods and they are getting pretty bad - population wise. I think they played up the visciosness of them to some extent but they can be viscious especially if you get between mamma and her babies. Most times they will just run off. They are very smart though and are much more leary than a deer.

The biggest threat I see is their ability to reproduce and the shear numbers you have to eliminate to control them. This fertility coupled with smaller land ownership patterns is all working in their favor. Its pretty easy to eliminate them on a large block of land with a few teams of dogs but when you have a mosaic of different landowners with conflicting objectives this practice will only become less effective if not illegal. I think the key will be educating people of how damaging they will be if left unchecked.

I wasn't paying a lot of attention but seems the news last night had a short report on the new booming population of wild pigs in Missouri which until recently hadn't had any.

TexasBred":1ovefmvt said:
I wasn't paying a lot of attention but seems the news last night had a short report on the new booming population of wild pigs in Missouri which until recently hadn't had any.
the official word on hogs in Mo was there weren't any until about 5 yrs ago but unofficially we have had them in southern Mo for several yrs as alot of people in southern Mo ran hogs free range until the early 70s and alot were never caught and claimed

Back in the 50's wild hogs were plentifull in reynolds county Mo.
Like was said free range.If a hog didn't have a notch cut in it's ear it was free game.

Cal

Alan":11xrkxuz said:
I just watched a program on discovery channel called "pig bomb". The show dealed with the wild pig explosion in the U.S. and how the pigs (hogs) are out of control in the U.S. and geniticaly going back to European (sp) wild hogs.

Anyone see the show?, any thoughts? hype?, fact? BS?

Thoughts,
Alan
As much as there has been on here about hogs I would think your questions would have already been answered.

Wild hogs I've seen around here don't look like European wild hogs but more like Hampshires, Yorkshires, and Durocs.

ga. prime":2by1tt0a said:
Wild hogs I've seen around here don't look like European wild hogs but more like Hampshires, Yorkshires, and Durocs.
Used to hunt down in Richmond Hill, on the old Ford plantation, and there was still a lot of the Russian boars down there then. I'm sure things have changed !! :)

talldog":288o9vtt said:
ga. prime":288o9vtt said:
Used to hunt down in Richmond Hill, on the old Ford plantation, and there was still a lot of the Russian boars down there then. I'm sure things have changed !! :)
Awesome! I bird hunted there a little back in the '70s but the best thing was the fishing. Did you ever fish in any of the old canals that were used for irrigating the rice fields? Incredible. Shame that place got turned into a billion dollar golf resort and housing development.

Had great times there, and yes, I did fish!! As I remember the tides there are amazing as far as rise and fall. Had a good friend that lived on the Tivoli Marsh. We have a lot of good hog hunting here, but not like down there !! :)

Here I thought? :???: :oops: :oops: "Pig Bomb" We are gonna talk about making bombs to bomb wild pigs. :shock: :help: 8) I had some ideas. :nod: :cowboy:

Latest posts