Piedmontese

Help Support CattleToday:

BILL CLAYLAND

Reaction score
Hi Yall, I have 3 hereford cows a hereford heifer and a baldy heifer.

The cows are bred to a angus and will calve this fall.

I have a friend I just bought some hay from and he has piedmontese.

He suggested that i cross the herefords with piedmontese so as to make a steer that would yield more beef.

Sounds interesting,, i know he would lease bull or sell a bull calf.

What do yall think?

Bill

I like the idea, but I'm a Pied guy and there's probably not many around here that think my way. Pieds are lighter boned but heavier muscled, which should give you more product. I also prefer the flavor of Pieds over commercial beef.

I have Pieds and no doubt they yield more beef than traditional breeds. Much less fat cover and still very tender.i have finished them on grass and grain. I like whichever I'm eating at the time the most.i crossed them with Salers quite a bit and SH. Both worked well.

I love that the first two responses encouraged you to focus on flavor and dining experience.

Ask the guy for some burger, and maybe a roast or a steak or two ... eat them and go from there. If you like the flavor, then, ask how he feeds them and try to get the bull that sired the animal you ate (or maybe his full brother or a good son of his).

Good luck to you.

PS --- They're right ... you can't eat big bones. A higher red meat yield is a nice help when you're trying to make money whether you're selling direct to the consumer, or via the feedyards / salebarns.

What is your goal with these crossbred calves? If your goal is selling them via the salebarn then a piedmontese might not for you.

I think I have a better idea, why not just A.I one of your Hereford cows with a piedmontese semen?

I have a small cow calf op.
I'm keeping 2 heifers this year and still need 1 more cow and maybe replace another.

I just had 1 steer butchered and had to sell another 20 plus month steer that was on full feed to the salebarn.
No one seems to want to spend $ on a half for beef so I live i learn.
Both were Hereford.
The one that went to the butcher was 670lb on the rail and the one that went to the sale was just shy of 1200lb

Unless I can make a better market to sell beef I'm not so sure that going this route (piedmontese)is the best.

Even here black hide and baldies sell good at the barn.

My friend that has these Pieds sell directly to a butcher and that is what they are requesting to sell in their shop.
he also has a big hay and grain operation so im sure he pours on the feed.

Bill

A most promising cross. Much yield from the piedmontese - enough fat from the hereford, heterosis and breed complimentary at its finest. And a bonus: calves with a brindle pattern! :tiphat:

I have two of my baldies at the AI tech's place now and I'm going to use my Pied bull on them. The third baldy will be going in 45 more days. I'm thinking they'll cross nicely.

I have tasted, Pied/shorthorn, Pied / Longhorn, Pied/Simmental/ Hereford cross, and of course fullblood. Even tho my preference is the full blood, more product for my money and love the tender, lean flavor. Best cross was the Shorthorn /Pied. I like the comment taste for yourself and decide for yourself. Best wishes and much success!

BILL CLAYLAND":2foi91uh said:
<snip>

Unless I can make a better market to sell beef I'm not so sure that going this route (piedmontese)is the best. <snip>

It does take effort to develop you market for your beef. We have lunches and dinners explaining our program ... meet guys for beers after work to tell or story, have private events, etc. It works well for us as we focus on their dining experience.

Bill~ The White House just served Piedmontese at the luncheon prior to the SOTU. I know FOX broadcasted that fact so the name, Piedmontese, is finally getting out. Don't really know if that will help the Pied market or not, but it's a start.

Any DM will give a higher yield.
I mostly have BB vs. the Pied in my area and I wouldn't trade them.
They can be dang tasty too.
Raise Simmy x BB primarily.
Once my brother attains a customer they usually are a lifer! Lol

I hope that DMs catch on more. They have really good feed conversion and are efficient.

Here's the tenderloin from a 75% BB COW.
They were really big cuts and a tasty treat!!
IMG_20131009_150019_zpsb2f36c96.jpg

And here is just a little info of what DM can do
IMG_20131212_002847_zpswdacsijj.jpg