piedmontese the upcoming revolution in the cattle industry

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Gale, why is it that every response that people give you you get mad and start insulting them. I am sure that you have a great bread but go the salebarn. You take your calves and sell them and I will find an angus or angus cross cattleman and have him sell on the same day. The proof will be there. I run shorthorn's and like them alot. I am going to cross them up and should have some good calves. But anyways, no one has given you a reason to be rude. It doesn't matter what truck you drive or anything like that. Get over yourself, I am very secure with MY self and MY cattle. If you want to keep doing this, register so we know it is you and not someone stirring up trouble.

J+

Gale knows pretty well what he is talking about. In the national niche beef market arena there are only two companies that sell lean and tender beef. These two are Laura's Lean Beef and Montana Range Beef. Although Laura's does not specialize in Piedmontese she will take all the half blood (single alliel) Piedmontese cattle she can get. She also pays premium prices for fullblood bulls for slaughter. Montana Range Beef only slaughters half blood (single alliel) Piedmontese cattle that are raised without antibiotics and external hormones. These two companies are the fastest growing niche market red meat protein companies in the country today. That speaks pretty highly of the Pieds and what the genetics do for any commercial cow herd.

Gale,

I like to think I am open minded and have looked into this breed. Looks very appealing and yet I feel the same marketing constraints, ie. the consumer. After reviewing the website and a few others I have a couple of questions. How do you deal with the downside of Myostatin expression.

Underdeveloped reproductive traits
Macroglossia
Weak bones
Small pelvic bones (Calving)
Poor lactaction
Reduction in collagen resulting in poor liver and poor hide which leads to higher infections and increased susceptiblity to heat stress.
increased gestation (Have you experienced this?)
Lower growth rates. (Not talking about doublemuscling affect)

Do you have to take extra precautions for these factors or could they roam the great southwest ?

I suppose if you could overcome the marketability issue dealing with the above might be a small price to pay for the payoff. I wonder if going for higher qaulity on a smaller cow would not be the way to go though.

Please register, we appreciate your thoughts and look forward to hearing from you more.

John":1ih8v2bp said:
Gale knows pretty well what he is talking about. In the national niche beef market arena there are only two companies that sell lean and tender beef. These two are Laura's Lean Beef and Montana Range Beef. Although Laura's does not specialize in Piedmontese she will take all the half blood (single alliel) Piedmontese cattle she can get. She also pays premium prices for fullblood bulls for slaughter. Montana Range Beef only slaughters half blood (single alliel) Piedmontese cattle that are raised without antibiotics and external hormones. These two companies are the fastest growing niche market red meat protein companies in the country today. That speaks pretty highly of the Pieds and what the genetics do for any commercial cow herd.

Niche market. Try marketing more than 10 pied bulls per year and see what the ones you don't sell bring at the auction barn. For anyone wanting more than 5 pets in the backyard, pieds aren't the answer.

Jake":l3rye1pd said:
not ever.... Italian breeds will never get another chance in this part of the country. Anything that's white with black on the nose or ears is consider chi and is shunned. Too many broken fences and bones in this country from chianinas to allow Italian breeds another chance.

maybe in the part of the country you are at, and that means maybe in your 100 acres or so, you can't speak for everyone in Kansas. Even that Chianinas are italians they aren't the only ones, of the italians I prefer Romagnolas and second Marchigianas

2 years ago I thought of crossing Piedmontese bulls with some comercial European influence cows I did just keep using Romagnolas. I think of using Marchigianas by 2005 but Pieds I haven't thought of them anymore, just thinking of having calving problems.
I had use Belgian Blue in the past but haven't think of using a double muscle bull again, not even Parthenais (I'm not sure it's s Double Muscle but some cattleman cosinsidered it as DM)

Gale, if you don't believe me that I had done research on Pieds just call some of the Texans breeders they should remember me, even I had send them some costumers that were looking for Pieds bulls.

A. delaGarza":1d9df4wx said:
2 years ago I thought of crossing Piedmontese bulls with some comercial European influence cows I did just keep using Romagnolas. I think of using Marchigianas by 2005 but Pieds I haven't thought of them anymore, just thinking of having calving problems.
I had use Belgian Blue in the past but haven't think of using a double muscle bull again, not even Parthenais (I'm not sure it's s Double Muscle but some cattleman cosinsidered it as DM)

Gale, if you don't believe me that I had done research on Pieds just call some of the Texans breeders they should remember me, even I had send them some costumers that were looking for Pieds bulls.

How do you think they will do here in Central Texas ? They caught my eye early on but I was scared off by the auction barns biased towards black hide.

check in: http://pauscattle.org/online/members.html they are several breeders in Texas, but if you're interested with italians breeds I suggest Romagnolas they should do pretty well in your area

Tman":2e2xvn4u said:
A. delaGarza":2e2xvn4u said:

How do you think they will do here in Central Texas ? They caught my eye early on but I was scared off by the auction barns biased towards black hide.

Gale, as far as I know Fullblood Piedmontese aren't BLACK, and the cross herd of balck you mention before for sure where Black Angus influenced.

GENERAL INFORMATION, Double Muscle breeds are famous for tenderness due to how muscle tissues and fibers are form, did you knew that Gale :?: :?:

A. delaGarza":2lk53fhz said:

i have no reason to not beleive you

John":2jq72q7p said:

What about Nolan Ryan branded beef? It's based on Beefmaster though I haen't seen a single study that tells us Beefmasters are naturally tender.

Since Leachmans sold out, who is running Montana Range?

Tman":2yq4f43j said:
Gale,

I like to think I am open minded and have looked into this breed. Looks very appealing and yet I feel the same marketing constraints, ie. the consumer. After reviewing the website and a few others I have a couple of questions. How do you deal with the downside of Myostatin expression.

Macroglossia
Weak bones
Poor lactaction
Reduction in collagen resulting in poor liver and poor hide which leads to higher infections and increased susceptiblity to heat stress.

Do you have to take extra precautions for these factors or could they roam the great southwest ?

I suppose if you could overcome the marketability issue dealing with the above might be a small price to pay for the payoff. I wonder if going for higher qaulity on a smaller cow would not be the way to go though.

Please register, we appreciate your thoughts and look forward to hearing from you more.

i will address 1st lower growth rates i find that nothing could be further from the truth with my fullblood herd.

april 1st 2004 iweaned 9 calves 5 bulls 4 heifers.

the weights were as follows.
july 9th 2003 bull calf 800 lbs
mid august bull calf 820 lbs
three sept bull calves 771 lbs 622 lbs 587 lbs

4 september heifers 735 lbs 702 lbs 624 lbs 603 lbs

these calves have been on nothing but grass since april 1st 2004

one bull was at ohio state for 21 days in october 2003 he gained 59 lbs in 21 days on mamas milk

now macrogloissia large tounge i know of no deformities in our breed however there are incidents like in all breeds where a bull calf might have some swelling of the tounge for a few days from being a bull which has a larger head than a heifer but no substained problems.

gale":5f036fjj said:
Tman":5f036fjj said:
Gale,

Macroglossia
Weak bones
Poor lactaction

i will address 1st lower growth rates i find that nothing could be further from the truth with my fullblood herd.

april 1st 2004 iweaned 9 calves 5 bulls 4 heifers.

the weights were as follows.
july 9th 2003 bull calf 800 lbs
mid august bull calf 820 lbs
three sept bull calves 771 lbs 622 lbs 587 lbs

4 september heifers 735 lbs 702 lbs 624 lbs 603 lbs

these calves have been on nothing but grass since april 1st 2004

one bull was at ohio state for 21 days in october 2003 he gained 59 lbs in 21 days on mamas milk

now macrogloissia large tounge i know of no deformities in our breed however there are incidents like in all breeds where a bull calf might have some swelling of the tounge for a few days from being a bull which has a larger head than a heifer but no substained problems.

i forgot to say these calves were weighed on may 23rtd 2004 also will address other questions as i have no knowledge of any of these others you questioned existing in our breed.

Frankie":2b6rubry said:
John":2b6rubry said:

What about Nolan Ryan branded beef? It's based on Beefmaster though I haen't seen a single study that tells us Beefmasters are naturally tender. good question

Since Leachmans sold out, who is running Montana Range?

montana range is owned by kevin brewer of brewer ranch in forsythe? montana ralph peterson is one of the purchasers of cattle for montana range.

GWB":3tvxds2k said:
John":3tvxds2k said:

Niche market. Try marketing more than 10 pied bulls per year and see what the ones you don't sell bring at the auction barn. For anyone wanting more than 5 pets in the backyard, pieds aren't the answer.

is the angus cab program a niche market? the difference between a peid cross and an angus cross is because there is documentation that backs up a pied cross its called the myostatin gene the genetc marker of the breed.

the truth of it is that the average prodcer is ignorant of the facts concerning pied crosses.

and for the record the world ignorant is not infered as a blow to the producer . ignorance means dosnt know any differnent or know about something because they have never heard of it. i consider myself either ignorant about something because i knew nothing about it or stupid. when i am stupid about something its because i choose to not take heed to the facts and live in my world.

"is the angus cab program a niche market?"

Yes, I'd say it's a "niche" market. But, last I heard, it sells more beef than all the othere branded beef programs combined. But that's still just a drop in the bucket for US beef sales.

"the difference between a peid cross and an angus cross is because there is documentation that backs up a pied cross its called the myostatin gene the genetc marker of the breed."

I'd disagree. The difference is the thousands of Angus crosses successfuly working for cattle producers in the US.

"the truth of it is that the average prodcer is ignorant of the facts concerning pied crosses."

I don't doubt that statment at all. It's the breed association's responsibility to inform producers of the benefits of their breed.

"and for the record the world ignorant is not infered as a blow to the producer . ignorance means dosnt know any differnent or know about something because they have never heard of it. i consider myself either ignorant about something because i knew nothing about it or stupid. when i am stupid about something its because i choose to not take heed to the facts and live in my world."

OK. Have you looked at the facts about the Angus breed? The fact that black (Angus sired) calves often bring more at the sale barn? The fact that CAB premiums are good? The fact that double mucled carcasses are discounted by packers?

Frankie":xu4rg7ze said:
"is the angus cab program a niche market?"

Yes, I'd say it's a "niche" market. But, last I heard, it sells more beef than all the othere branded beef programs combined. But that's still just a drop in the bucket for US beef sales.

"the difference between a peid cross and an angus cross is because there is documentation that backs up a pied cross its called the myostatin gene the genetc marker of the breed."

I'd disagree. The difference is the thousands of Angus crosses successfuly working for cattle producers in the US.

"the truth of it is that the average prodcer is ignorant of the facts concerning pied crosses."

I don't doubt that statment at all. It's the breed association's responsibility to inform producers of the benefits of their breed.

"and for the record the world ignorant is not infered as a blow to the producer . ignorance means dosnt know any differnent or know about something because they have never heard of it. i consider myself either ignorant about something because i knew nothing about it or stupid. when i am stupid about something its because i choose to not take heed to the facts and live in my world."

OK. Have you looked at the facts about the Angus breed? The fact that black (Angus sired) calves often bring more at the sale barn? The fact that CAB premiums are good? The fact that double mucled carcasses are discounted by packers?

hey frankie i like what you said about it being the breeds resonsibility to inform the producers about their breed.

i guarantee this will be a hard pill for you to swallow but i have read some of your posts and replies on the this will turn some heads post. on there youy say its not the breeds place to inform the consumer about cab cattle that are assumed to be of angus genetics.

where i come from we call that having your cake and eating it to. or maybe talking out of both sides of ones face. or it might even be like the liberal democrats what ever is popular that is the stance one takes.

then lastly it might be if i say blue you will say red if i say red you will say blue which way is it frankie huh?

one would have to beleive by what i have allredy read from you is its ok to pull the wool? over the consumers eyes. if thats really how you feel maybe you ought to switch to raising sheep huh? that is if you really do raise livestock!

"hey frankie i like what you said about it being the breeds resonsibility to inform the producers about their breed."

Thank you.

"i guarantee this will be a hard pill for you to swallow but i have read some of your posts and replies on the this will turn some heads post. on there youy say its not the breeds place to inform the consumer about cab cattle that are assumed to be of angus genetics."

What pill? It's not the breed association's responsibility to inform the CONSUMER about anything unless it will help their members. It IS the breed association's place to tell PRODUCERS how they can benefit from using their breed of cattle. See, consumer - producer. Different.

"where i come from we call that having your cake and eating it to. or maybe talking out of both sides of ones face. or it might even be like the liberal democrats what ever is popular that is the stance one takes."

And just where do you come from? Must be ashamed of it since you won't use your name. Or maybe afraid they'll be ashamed of you?

"then lastly it might be if i say blue you will say red if i say red you will say blue which way is it frankie huh?"

Since I don't have a clue who you are, can't answer that question.

"one would have to beleive by what i have allredy read from you is its ok to pull the wool? over the consumers eyes. if thats really how you feel maybe you ought to switch to raising sheep huh? that is if you really do raise livestock!"

"one" could believe whatever "one" chooses. It's not OK to fool or cheat anyone and CAB doesn't do either of those things. They promise beef that meets USDA-approved specs and they provide that beef. I think I'll keep on raising Angus. They are selling very, very well, thanks, in part, to CAB.

Frankie;

Why bother, there will alwasy be those that think that EPDs are bogus and CAB is a fraud. Of course there are also those that think the earth is square regardless of proof to the contrary.
Remember too, No one wins and argument with a fool.

dun

dun":15m6gmc3 said:
Frankie;

Why bother, there will alwasy be those that think that EPDs are bogus and CAB is a fraud. Of course there are also those that think the earth is square regardless of proof to the contrary.
Remember too, No one wins and argument with a fool.

dun

All true, Dun. But it was interesting to thumb back through those bull reports and see how we've improved ADG over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts