Piedmontese on Murray Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
What do you think about putting Piedmontese on Murray Grey Cows? I like the double muscling of the Pieds and the disposition of the Murrays. Any opinions?

I have not seen this cross but I would think you would be happy with the result. Please share pictures of any you end up with!
There are several Piedmontese breeders in Illinois I would suggest you give them a call and discuss your plan. (you can find them by going to http://www.pauscattle.org
Good luck!

CKC1586":32xizixt said:
I have not seen this cross but I would think you would be happy with the result. Please share pictures of any you end up with!
There are several Piedmontese breeders in Illinois I would suggest you give them a call and discuss your plan. (you can find them by going to http://www.pauscattle.org
Good luck!
If its all the same, there are two breeders in Michigan I'm going to contact. Jerry Chapman and Dan Schafer. I saw both at NAILE last year and loved both their cattle. Dan supposably got some of his start from Jerry.... that's where I'm headed! Thanks!!

ps. We were originally going to go raise Piedmontese so I did quite a bit of research on myostatin, etc. I never got over liking them but heard they were pretty suseptible to calving problems (dispite the claim of average size birthweights). I also wasn't sure about disposition (breeders will always tell you they're "wonderful"). I settled on the Murrays because of their disposition/calving ease. I know Pieds cross really well (passing on the M. gene in the first cross) so I agree with you, I think I might really be pleased with the cross. Its worth a try anyway! Thanks again.

Wisteria Farms":3c7fhr39 said:
CKC1586":3c7fhr39 said:
Good luck!
If its all the same, there are two breeders in Michigan I'm going to contact. Jerry Chapman and Dan Schafer. I saw both at NAILE last year and loved both their cattle. Dan supposably got some of his start from Jerry.... that's where I'm headed! Thanks!!

ps. We were originally going to go raise Piedmontese so I did quite a bit of research on myostatin, etc. I never got over liking them but heard they were pretty suseptible to calving problems (dispite the claim of average size birthweights). I also wasn't sure about disposition (breeders will always tell you they're "wonderful"). I settled on the Murrays because of their disposition/calving ease. I know Pieds cross really well (passing on the M. gene in the first cross) so I agree with you, I think I might really be pleased with the cross. Its worth a try anyway! Thanks again.

Great!!! Come on up to Michigan I am sure you will find a good bull, we have several that are available. We work hard together to breed some really great Pieds.
I just bought a heifer from Dan! She is a Supremo daughter.

baxter78":3thi41tk said:
Everyone that I have ever known that has used Piedmontese whether it was cows or bulls in a cross breeding or purebred program had nothing but calving problems. Most of the people sold out after the first year in business and started raising other breeds. I think you will have calving problems if you do it.

How long ago was it that your friends tried the cross?? I know at the beginning when this breed was introduced to North America there were bulls used that should probably have been banded. Folks were trying to get their numbers up and were keeping everything! I am not trying to say that there are never calves pulled, I don't think any breed can claim that honestly, but the experience of the breeders I know that have used Pied crosses have for the most part been happy with the result. Some of the best beef I have tasted was Pied/Shorthorn.

Just an update on the subject.... I received a private message from someone.... accusing Wisteria Farms and CKC as being the same person. This someone thinks CKC is running a scam to try to promote the Piedmontese breed. Well, I have a whole lot of literature on the breed that I'll be happy to post....thereby promoting the breed on my OWN!!! haha.

Sorry to say, he didn't read any of my other posts stating that I just started my herd with Murray Grey 3/1's from Spectrum Farm in OHIO!!!! They'll be here in 2-3 weeks so I'm post some pictures!!

By the way, this is a picture of our Piedmontese. Enjoy.

902331-R1-21-3A_022.jpg

He just told me (in a private message) that I was "testy" and to pull my hand out of my pocket when I'm typing!!!!

I informed him I am a WOMAN and if I ever met him, I'd make sure there wasn't anything in his pocket ever again!!! No.. wait, there can't be anything in his pocket because he doesn't have the jewels to post out here where everyone can see it!

To Why Not,
I feel sorry for you... rolling outta bed that early in that kind of mood. I'll say a prayer for you... as you're beyond help from anyone here. Good Day.

Wait! There's more! Mr. Why Not would like me to post my name-calling of him on the board... so here goes....

Dear Why Not...

No, Wisteria Farms is Wisteria Farms.
We have NEVER owned a single Piedmontese.

You freakin moron, if you would do an author search you would see that I am a newbie... complete with pictures!!!!! No Pieds to be found ANYWHERE!

I wrote:

There's nothing wrong with someone promoting their breed. There IS something wrong, however when someone has a H...D ON over something he/she knows nothing about. These forums are for people to share information and try to help one another.

Did someone screw you over and you can't put on your "big girl panties?". Do you feel like a "MAN" making accusations? You've tangled with the wrong poster...I'm here to help and be helped...I think YOU are in the WRONG place. Have a nice day.
------------------------------------------------------------

Now, if I'm out of line, please tell me. I invite him to post HERE instead of to keep private messaging me with all HIS abuse. He's a sad individual.

Latest posts