Piebald deer pics

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Took these from my backyard, she's been here two years. I don't hunt here and my wife threatened the man that I let hunt here that if he shot her, she'd shoot him. She calls it her "Super Goat".

Supergoat2010Apr006.jpg

Lining up a scope on the gun when she decided to walk out of the woods.

Supergoat2010Apr010.jpg

After the first pic, I found out the camera had a zoom on it. Color is off, though.

Supergoat2010Apr017.jpg

Supergoat2010Apr009.jpg

We see it a couple times a week, kinda shocked she's made it thru two hunting seasons.

That's a heck of a photo with the scope. :tiphat: Want me to ask Wayne Pearson if he's needing another camera man?

Jogeephus":2w5tkj4e said:
That's a heck of a photo with the scope. :tiphat: Want me to ask Wayne Pearson if he's needing another camera man?

Sure, I'm always up for something new!

It was harder to get that shot than it looks, had to put the camera in manual focus and hold it just right - you can still see the one fuzzy side. Doing all of that crap while still trying to keep the scope on her was interesting to say the least.

I am with Mrs Cf on this one... :nod: I agree with Jo, a h@ll of a photo using the scope. That deer is a beauty ,I have never seen one in person though.

MO_cows":3jaxlmr5 said:
she is unique and special and should get a free pass during hunting season.
She is unique and kind of neat to have around. but if you do some researce on them you will find that is not a good thing and lots of the time it is from inbreading. In Okla. if you see them on your property you can get a free permit to kill them. I have never seen any on my place so I never got a permit but if I do I don't think they will get a pass because most people that manage for deer do not want them around.
just my opinion I'm sure not trying to make everyone mad and will say they are pretty just not good for the deer herd

I was getting ready to start a new thread when I saw this, @cfpinz.

Bragging on a friend/neighbor that got this phenomenal Piebald this week. Didn't realize it's a genetic abnormality that only affects less than 2% of the whitetail population. This one was about 7 miles southeast of our place. Scored 176 and was 5 years old. He had been shot previously, in the right hip area. Pretty hard to beat his record harvest of a whitetail that scored 213 7/8 two years ago, but this was a once in a lifetime harvest for him. Well, probably, but he's only 30. Bonus: in addition to farming & cattle, his family owns a deer processing & taxidermy business. Full body mount, comin' up!
1640286742383.jpeg
1640286759177.jpeg

Thats a once in a million lifetimes deer right there. I've seen a few over the years, but for a piebald buck to grow that large is extraordinarily rare.

Neat!
Had a piebald buck in the herd on our TN farm, 30 yrs ago.
Saw a few harvested back home in AL over the years.
As noted earlier, it's a genetic defect. Some of them have some pretty profound skeletal abnormalities.

I hear a lot of stories with color being a genetic defect and related to structural abnormalities but I'm not so sure I buy into all of the stories because my understanding is that hair color and melanin, which causes patches is quite different that structural genes. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't know

I guess I'm probably nitpicking, but the deer pictured in this post are not piebald, they are skewbald.
They are cool to look at regardless.

I hear a lot of stories with color being a genetic defect and related to structural abnormalities but I'm not so sure I buy into all of the stories because my understanding is that hair color and melanin, which causes patches is quite different that structural genes. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't know
Piebaldism is known to be a genetic defect, its not a theory. Most aren't healthy animals.
I guess I'm probably nitpicking, but the deer pictured in this post are not piebald, they are skewbald.
They are cool to look at regardless.
Skewbald is just a term used for the random white patches, usually used to describe horses. Its not a condition, just a description. The deer pictured are piebalds. You could also call them skewbald, but they're still piebalds. If that makes sense.

Is piebald not also just a colour? Piebald when referring to colour is white patches on black. Skewbald is white patches on any other colour.
Is there a second definition for piebald that defines it as a "condition"?

Is piebald not also just a colour? Piebald when referring to colour is white patches on black. Skewbald is white patches on any other colour.
Is there a second definition for piebald that defines it as a "condition"?
Technically you're right. I'm not sure what the technical term for the genetic defect that piebald deer have, it just gets called piebaldism. Piebald, when talking about deer, is both a condition and a description of coloration. Colorization can be anything from solid white with a black nose, to nothing more than a little extra white on the legs. I know with other animals its used as just a description, but when deer have those colorizations its from a genetic condition so it gets used as a word for their condition.

Technically you're right. I'm not sure what the technical term for the genetic defect that piebald deer have, it just gets called piebaldism. Piebald, when talking about deer, is both a condition and a description of coloration. Colorization can be anything from solid white with a black nose, to nothing more than a little extra white on the legs. I know with other animals its used as just a description, but when deer have those colorizations its from a genetic condition so it gets used as a word for their condition.
I did a little reading and it appears the technical term is leucism. Interesting stuff.

Well, I had to look up leucism and skewbald. Information overload for me, Gentlemen! Is it possible the terms are geographic? Regardless, I've certainly never seen one before and didn't expect it around here.

That said . . . . another neighbor harvested this "thing" a few years ago a few miles south of our place. He said the anatomy indicated it was a doe. Yowza!12429.jpeg

Well, I had to look up leucism and skewbald. Information overload for me, Gentlemen! Is it possible the terms are geographic? Regardless, I've certainly never seen one before and didn't expect it around here.

That said . . . . another neighbor harvested this "thing" a few years ago a few miles south of our place. He said the anatomy indicated it was a doe. Yowza!View attachment 11558

Okay, you win creepiest picture of the year.

There are quite a few white deer in an area around ten miles south of me and have been for years. I've seen a few of them over the years. Thet're funny, stick out like a sore thumb, but they think you can't see them. I don't know if they're true albino or not.