Picturing cattle is tough

Help Support CattleToday:

Totally understand where you're at!! You need a "pen", someone to move them, someone to get ears, and a GREAT photographer. You got two pretty good shots, but the 2nd one wouldn't be acceptable because of the gate's feet under her.
Are you taking them for PR on the embryo's??

Well the two pics you picked out turned out great. Thankfully they are not in what I consider the bovine version of the "duck face", with their heads up in the air spotting airplanes.
Nice looking cows.

You got two pretty good shots, but the 2nd one wouldn't be acceptable because of the gate's feet under her.
Perhaps not from a catalog PR perspective but from a photography standpoint the contrast of her dark hair against that sky with the far distant countryside both in front and behind her is spectacular. The pipe frames her with color and blandness all at the same time.
It's often difficult to get foreground and background in proper aspect but the detail in both of those pics is just great.

Totally understand where you're at!! You need a "pen", someone to move them, someone to get ears, and a GREAT photographer. You got two pretty good shots, but the 2nd one wouldn't be acceptable because of the gate's feet under her.
Are you taking them for PR on the embryo's??
Yeah. Need to be have something ti promote them with. Second picture will definitely be redone. Even the top isn't what I want. Just the best we had for an hour worth of time to mess around

Set up a pen and played with some of our donors last night. Probably threw away 200 to get these two.
View attachment 20926
View attachment 20927
Your 200 : 2 number is interesting. I always resigned myself to needing to take 100 to get "the" picture. And back in the day, you waited for the pics to get back. No sorting in the field. (pre digital / 35mm SLR era)

LOL - I was just talking to my nephew about that!!! I have an expensive 35MM camera with numerous lenses, filters, etc. I asked him to put it out by the road with the case and see if anyone wants it. At least, they may want the nice leather case. He started playing with it and said "I could really use this". I said, "No, your phone probably has a better camera and you can see the results instantly. This one, you have to wait and develop the film before you know if you got a good picture."

It sure is tough getting that right shot Jake, I think you did well. I find with bulls they always pull up with that back leg forward protecting their nuts from you.
What sort of camera did you use? I use a Panasonic Lumix, great little camera, recovers quickly after taking a shot so ready for the next one. I just use the auto mode and it does great things with the light and background, over comes my ineptitude. I would give anything for a bit of level ground though.

Ken

It sure is tough getting that right shot Jake, I think you did well. I find with bulls they always pull up with that back leg forward protecting their nuts from you.
What sort of camera did you use? I use a Panasonic Lumix, great little camera, recovers quickly after taking a shot so ready for the next one. I just use the auto mode and it does great things with the light and background, over comes my ineptitude. I would give anything for a bit of level ground though.

Ken
Mom is the photographer. She has a Canon body and every lens known to mankind. We took a bunch more yesterday and not super happy with any of them. I'll share more once we get through them and make our cuts. Seems like every time they stop that nearby hind leg is always up in front of their udder/testicles.

They turn their head toward the photographer and that seems to also make them tend to bring the near side rear leg forward as well. We seem to get out best shot within the first 30 seconds after they get into the picture pen. After that it is a struggle to get head up, ears forward and near side leg back with weight on both hind legs.

Mom is the photographer. She has a Canon body and every lens known to mankind. We took a bunch more yesterday and not super happy with any of them. I'll share more once we get through them and make our cuts. Seems like every time they stop that nearby hind leg is always up in front of their udder/testicles.
Jake, I have a black and white umbrella that I have used by a person standing in front of them and open and close it to get their attention. It works for a while especially if you keep the ones yet to be photographed out of eyesight of it otherwise they get accustomed to it and it becomes a bit hohumm .

Ken

Latest posts