Pictures.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Missy

Reaction score
Hi all,
Well i have been able to take photos of some of my poddies and nurse cows.
Here goes.
This is Buttercup 4 year old Jersey recently bought off dairy farm
cows016-1.jpg

This is Daisy,another 4 yr old off a different dairy farm recently. (hope to get some condition back on her)
cows018.jpg

This is Goldie. 8 year old off same dairy farm as Buttercup but bought earlier
cowspups062.jpg

This is Ebony off a different dairy. She is 4 years old. currently nursing 3 calves. Picture shows Murray Grey x Heifer and Hereford x Shorthorn Steer
pupscows042.jpg

This is Bridgette(only see her head) with one of her 2 babies. He is Jersey x Friesian steer
pupscows084.jpg

Shorthorn Steer on Daisy
pupscows085.jpg

GUESS HIS BREED ( i know) 6 weeks old he is on Daisy with Shorthorn steer
cows011.jpg

This is Lily, she is on Buttercup with a friesian bull calf (Can you guess her breed) born New Years Eve
cows036.jpg

And a nice pic of Lily and Buttercup
cows020.jpg

I am guessing Daisy's baby is a Jersey x something and Lily is shorthorn cross...cute babies!

It took me a while to figure out how to post pictures, but now I that I know I'll be doing it often. I like how green the grass is, I havn't seen grass for quite a while.

Missy ,I just love your jersey's. I would guess what the calves are ,but I'm not that good at it.

Thanks Keren,Yes the SH steer is sweet,lovely natured but he will be going in the freezer in 12 months or so. he will also be a floor rug. I try not to get too attached to the fellows i keep for meat as i kleep pretty ones to go on the floors LOL

Ok yep Daisy's baby is Out of her by a Charolais bull. His picture does him no justice. He is REALLY fat,a lovley looking boy.
Lily is out of Buttercup by a Hereford. She is very sweet.

Joy of Texas, Thanks. I love them too. i can't wait to get Buttercup and Daisy in the same condition as Goldie is. But they are lovely girls. :D

Buttercup's udder is pretty well worn out for a 4 year old but probably why the dairy sold her. Should do a good job of raising calves tho.

Goldie is the best looking one. Good udder attachment and holding up great for an 8 year old. Looks like they're all a great job of nursing.

Thanks Bigbull.
Texasbred, it is a bad picture,will get some better ones soon but yes it is not the best udder. She was sold because when she calves her teats when in all directions. Guy who owned her was quite upset about it as he said she was one of his better milkers.
I am finding the calves do better quicker on jersey's! So eventually i would like to have an all Jersey cow nursing system :D

Missy":2rfgxinu said:
Thanks Bigbull.
Texasbred, it is a bad picture,will get some better ones soon but yes it is not the best udder. She was sold because when she calves her teats when in all directions. Guy who owned her was quite upset about it as he said she was one of his better milkers.
I am finding the calves do better quicker on jersey's! So eventually i would like to have an all Jersey cow nursing system :D

Sounds like she blew her udder out with first calf due to poor pre calving nutrtional program. When she's close to having her next calf go easy on the feed pre-calving.

TexasBred":1ah4q1wj said:
Buttercup's udder is pretty well worn out for a 4 year old but probably why the dairy sold her. Should do a good job of raising calves tho.

Goldie is the best looking one. Good udder attachment and holding up great for an 8 year old. Looks like they're all a great job of nursing.

Thats what I was thinking too... The oldest one looks to have the best udder...

Thanks guys.
Texasbred... How do you mean go easy? As in cut her feed back or what? Sorry but this is my first lot of nurse cows,only ran beefs before.

Apparently her udder only blew out this calving,her second calf.
But in all reality,i don't mind what they look like as long as they produce good milk :D

Missy once she's 6-7 months bred she shouldn't have any calves nursing her. Dry her off and put her on pasture if it's during the growing season. Otherwise just decent grass hay should be all she needs until you put 4 more calves on her and then you may want to begin feeding her grain again for milk production and maintenance of body score.

:D Sorry, i understand now! yes i had been told to give them about 60 days off before due to calve again.Thanks

Missy, great pictures. I have a question about Ebony. In the picture it looks as if her tail is short or maybe it is beside her swishing flys!
The reason I asked is because we have a cow like that and we do not know what happened to the tail.
Kate

Great looking bunch! I love the Jersey nurse cows also.. I sure miss the ones I had up north! I had one Holstein that was a great nurse cow, but the Jersey's always worked better for me. And routinely very gentle.

Kate":1d2zwjjx said:
Missy, great pictures. I have a question about Ebony. In the picture it looks as if her tail is short or maybe it is beside her swishing flys!
The reason I asked is because we have a cow like that and we do not know what happened to the tail.
Kate

Her tail is docked. They are docked for several reasons including to keep udders cleaner (thus reduced incidence of mastitis) and to stop the cows banging you in the head when you are milking them (often with a wet shitty tail ... not fun). You can use a green ring or a docking iron, and it can be done as calves or adults.

I'm pretty sure it is now illegal here in oz, though I might be completely wrong about that and either missy or jane might be able to help me out here? We still see plenty of old cows without tails around.

Edit to say I just looked up the RSPCA site, seems tail docking is still allowed though not many (16%) people are doing it now

Hi Kate, yes Keren is right. The dairy i got her off,all of theirs were docked. The only dairy i have seen in the area that do it!

Thebull lady, thanks. i find the Jerseys have better milk than the friesians,well the condition of the calves tell me :D So i hope to eventually just have jerseys and the odd one or 2 friesians

Keren":vqv8xrhq said:
Kate":vqv8xrhq said:
Kate

Her tail is docked. They are docked for several reasons including to keep udders cleaner (thus reduced incidence of mastitis) and to stop the cows banging you in the head when you are milking them (often with a wet shitty tail ... not fun). You can use a green ring or a docking iron, and it can be done as calves or adults.

I'm pretty sure it is now illegal here in oz, though I might be completely wrong about that and either missy or jane might be able to help me out here? We still see plenty of old cows without tails around.

Edit to say I just looked up the RSPCA site, seems tail docking is still allowed though not many (16%) people are doing it now

I hate how cows look with their tails docked, but i see the need for it since working on a dairy farm. About half the herd has their tails docked. They are so much more enjoyable to milk, you dont end up with a gross tail flinging manure everywhere. Around here its mostly cows in freestall barns that the cows have their tails docked. This is because if left long tails tend to get caught in the alley scrapers that go along behind the freestalls.

Latest posts