pictures of some of my ''ol'' culls

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
was out riding the mule and took a few pictures. I know most on here would not want these cows but they are easy keepers a wean off a calf that sell as well as any others at the sale. They are good momma cows that will take care of their babies.

I know the place needs sprayed

just a sale barn cow on her 3rd calf first one not solid black

horned Brahman cow is one bad girl but she has a calf every 11 months and does not bother anything if you don't bother her. She would not bring much to sell because she would try to tear up the salebarn so I just leave her be and pull a nice calf every year.

this is black berries that was sprayed in fall then burnt in spring

this is a black berry patch that has been mowed for several years , its now on the hit list to be sprayed. See how well the mowing did

this is sugar , ready to go home after hauling this fat guy around several miles.

Nice looking bunch. Easy keepers that raise a good selling calf every year sound like my kinda girls.

Brute 23":ies7ocvb said:
Black face with white/ grey body looking straight at the camera?I like her. Looks like she has a heck of a bag too.
I have raised several calves out of that cow, she is one of them cows that not everyone can get along with. She has made me money, she came from the yards at OKC and cost a whole whopping 600.00

greybeard":ies7ocvb said:
Yeah, I'm not much on horned cows even tho I have a few, but them's some calf makers there.
she does not bother the other cows with her horns at all, now the spotted cow will get hers tipped way back the next time she gets worked.

RanchMan90":ies7ocvb said:
That's a pretty good snapshot of the OK cow/calf industry. What area is that?
half way between OKC and Tulsa

BRYANT":13s2q8yg said:
Brute 23":13s2q8yg said:
Black face with white/ grey body looking straight at the camera?I like her. Looks like she has a heck of a bag too.
I have raised several calves out of that cow, she is one of them cows that not everyone can get along with. She has made me money, she came from the yards at OKC and cost a whole whopping 600.00

My favorite... :)

Here is another money maker bought her going to calve her out and sell her in the fall. The sale called her a 7 yr. old 7mo bred she came in and cleared every one out I got her for 725.00 This years calf makes 5 I have raised off her, had a vet to look at her teeth last year and he told me '' she still has plenty of a good mouth and would not think of selling her for at least another 3 years
just some ones old cull that will follow me around like a puppy if I have a feed sack

Caustic Burno":25qedtq0 said:
That high horned gray brimmer girl looks my first cattle. They could live off barb wire and briars and raise a healthy calf.

The journey has taken me here

Looking good. Black Herefords? :lol2: jk

I agree that they don't have to be fancy if they raise up a nice calf that grows and they don't cost you an arm and a leg to get it there. We have some really "plain jane" and some sad looking cows that will wean a nice calf, get bred back and never give us a minutes trouble. I bought a few for nearly cull price that were supposed to be there for that year, and they stayed around for years just quietly dropping a calf and going about their business. We still have a few that are down to gums but if they hold their condition, and breed back, they stay. Some we will supplement a little grain in the winter if they are in the "grandma group" but they have earned that spot by making us money for years. We have kept heifers out of these plain old cows, and they continue the legacy.... We do use good bulls, not all registered, but have kept a few from our own cows now as it seems they are adapted to our way of doing stuff and we are getting some nice calves out of them. I do a little AI when they are at places where there are facilities but not much in the past couple of years.
We don't have any with "ear" blood in them as they will get hit really hard at the sales, but have a couple that have some longhorn and the calves do okay. Also have some with dairy and they get hurt a bit but by the third generation it mostly just shows up in increased milk and a bigger calf.
Your cows look pretty nice.

Latest posts