Pictures of my weekend

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The boss and I went to the farm yesterday to take care of things. Our son and his wife were heading out of town for a wedding so they dropped the twins off with us before they headed out of town. Needless to say I am now sitting back and trying to recuperate from twin 5 year olds! Before the girls arrived we let the mature cows out on the rye grass. So here goes a photo journal of my weekend.

This is the mature cow group, we rotate them onto the rye grass for about 4 to 5 hours each day, then back into the loafing pasture and a bale of low quality hay, they do get free choice minerals.

This calf is D53 he is out of a home raised bull sire is a Final Answer son and dam is a clean Morgans Direction.

This is D45 he is a ET calf, I purchased 4 embryos a few years ago the year I got them we only put a couple in and neither one stuck. Last year we put the last two in and both stuck we have a heifer and bull out of this mating. The sire is SAV Resource and the dam is SAV Blackcap May 2315. The bull calf has been a stud since birth just keeps catching my eye. The heifer is nice but I didn't manage to get a photo of her.

D33 is another ET heifer this one out of Coleman Blackbird 1554 and sired by Wulff's EXT 6106. I am a huge fan of the 6106 calves they make some awesome females.

D34 is a Coleman Charlo heifer out of a Sinclair Rito 9R9 daughter that was out of a cow that traces back to our Gizmo Elluna 0168 donor cow. edited oops my bad this is not D34 she is D31 a Charlo sired ET calf out of OCC Dixie Erica 744P, this heifer got injured at a very young age she healed up but had an abcess we had to treat in her shoulder. I think it slowed her down a bit but she seems to have overcome the injury completely. All we can figure is she got stepped on, with the cows crowing up under shade.

D19 I have pictured in other threads this is a Charlo sired heifer out of Gizmo Evergreen 907. The 907 cow is a Pathfinder that traces back to a heifer purchased by our son Jacob when he was in high school. He purchased her with the proceeds from his steer project from Twin Valley Farm in Alabama He showed the heifer Twin Valley Evergreen 2477 at the Junior Angus National show in 1998.

gizmom

Continued!

Twins arrive, They take a couple photos with me helping them hold the camera.

Mommy and Daddy leaving

Sydned getting the feel of the camera

got it figured out bye bye Mommy and Daddy wish GG luck

Ella took this one of Paw Paw working on the tractor

Final shot of Gabby the cow dog, looking at her it is hard to believe she runs as much as she does. She is a tank.

edited to add photo of Gabby and say thanks True Grit! Bye the way I loved the video! I didn't know I rubbed shoulders with movie stars!

gizmom

They are all nice. Really like the Resource calf. Are you planning on using him? I have always been a Resource fan although I have only saw him in pics and videos and haven't seen any progeny.

jedstivers":2g6twe1v said:
They are as cute as they can be.
Looks like mommy and daddy couldn't get away fast enough.
They might have worked on making you some more of them even.

My thoughts exactly. :D

Nessie

I worry that Gabby is going to look like that she is only 4 and getting way to fat. We have changed her to low calorie feed, cut back she gets no table food. Easy keeper comes to mind.

I don't think we will be getting anymore grand babies at least not from Jacob and Carla. When the doctors told them the possibility of twins again would be 70% it was all over.

We really like the Resource calf, I have several others that are pretty impressive. We won't make a decision on which Bulls we will hold back to use until we have more data. We now get either a GGPLD or PF50K on all the Bulls we retain past weaning. We cull throughout the year if we see anything we don't like, we sent one really nice calf to town this year that developed a bad attitude. We plan to keep the 1339 bull to use again next year he is the Final Answer X Our 658 donor who was sired by Morgans Direction. We also plan to use the C37 Sitz Rainmaker 6169 X Chloe Juanada 7009 again next year. The docility on the Resource calves is for real, so far they have all been really easy to get along with. We usually keep two young Bulls to use each year so we will see which ones sift to the top this year.

Gizmom

gizmom":sdv3kp4f said:
Nessie

I worry that Gabby is going to look like that she is only 4 and getting way to fat. We have changed her to low calorie feed, cut back she gets no table food. Easy keeper comes to mind.

I don't think we will be getting anymore grand babies at least not from Jacob and Carla. When the doctors told them the possibility of twins again would be 70% it was all over.

We really like the Resource calf, I have several others that are pretty impressive. We won't make a decision on which Bulls we will hold back to use until we have more data. We now get either a GGPLD or PF50K on all the Bulls we retain past weaning. We cull throughout the year if we see anything we don't like, we sent one really nice calf to town this year that developed a bad attitude. We plan to keep the 1339 bull to use again next year he is the Final Answer X Our 658 donor who was sired by Morgans Direction. We also plan to use the C37 Sitz Rainmaker 6169 X Chloe Juanada 7009 again next year. The docility on the Resource calves is for real, so far they have all been really easy to get along with. We usually keep two young Bulls to use each year so we will see which ones sift to the top this year.

Gizmom
Uh, I don't blame them one bit. I love my kids more than anything but I sure don't want anymore of them.
Maybe mommy and daddy at least got to "practice" at least. You know so they don't forget.

I don't either I imagine a weekend away is pretty special for them at this point. I remember how much the boss and I looked forward to short trips when we had young ones. Between work and the farm they don't get much away time without the girls. We had a blast but I have to admit was glad to see mommy and daddy Sunday evening. We are going to take the girls camping in a couple of weeks so now that is going to be an adventure.

gizmom

Latest posts