Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
So I used to be driving this around:

P1170911.JPG

1991 Nissan Pulsar Hatchback

And I just got this one instead:

P1170913.JPG

1979 Toyota Ute

Pretty bl00dy big difference I know. The ute is a dinosaur, and its not at all pretty but its slightly more practical, I can stop putting the goats on the back seat of the hatchback now!

The little red car was my first car ... and its been so good to me ... and I'm actually kinda sad to see it go. I wish I could keep it but cant afford two rego's. :cry2: I'm a wimp, I know :D

How much $ are registrations there. Iowa just passed a law concerning license on pickups. Used to be any new truck was $65, now it's like $500 or more. Lots of trucks bought before 1-1-09

It would cost me about $800 a year for the red car, plus another $800 or so for the ute, plus then insurance and everything would be about $400 for each car, so I really just cant afford it. I'd love to keep the red car as a run around for in town, cos its so little and easy to park and zip around in.

Good luck to you in your new car (Truck) hope you have many hours of happy driving. I myself like smaller cars, so I'd have kept the red one.

chrisy, I am the same I hate driving big cars. But, its just so much more practical for me. Every time I needed to move my goats, to deliver some I'd sold, to pick up new ones, to go to shows, to take them to the shed for shearing, to pick up hay and bulk feed ... I'd have to rely on other people - my dad or brother - to take me with the trailer and their car that has a tow bar. Cos the little red one wont tow anything, and I'm not allowed to tow being on my P plates. So this is going to give me so much more flexibility once I get a crate to go on the back of it. It will just be a pain driving around in town. I was actually after a Subaru Brumby (called a Brat in US) which isnt much bigger than my little red car, but alas none around at the moment for the right price.

Oh! yeah forgot about them goats, they would look a little odd in the back seat of your little red car. and the smell after could be much to be desired. As your Dad has a car is there no-way you could share the truck and car between you both, when your not hauling goats and want to go somewhere nice use his car, I used to do that with my Dad when I was at home. Swap cars for a night.

Keren":19i5uhxr said:
Ah, its not too bad I'm getting used to it. It actually handles very much like my car and its easy enough to get in and out of parking spaces :D
My wife said if wanna see how easy that ute is you can come over here for a while and drive her crew cab dually with an 8ft bed and and then you will think that trk is great to get around in

A few yrs ago ther trk went into the shop and they gave us a loaner she called and said they had given her a lil compact trk it was actually a Ford F150 witha short bed she said oh I thouhgt it was compact truck :lol:

Keren":2i3106q6 said:
It would cost me about $800 a year for the red car, plus another $800 or so for the ute, plus then insurance and everything would be about $400 for each car, so I really just cant afford it. I'd love to keep the red car as a run around for in town, cos its so little and easy to park and zip around in.

Wow! I don't see how you folks in other countries can afford to drive at all. I have travelled all over the world and aside from the US and maybe Canada it seems that most governments have all but taxed people out of being successfull. The cost of fuel is astronomical in most other countries except maybe the middle east. Taxes and fees are ridiculous and the prices on new and used cars are staggering. :shock:

Here my annual auto taxes are $25.00, fuel is $1.62 per gallon and a used truck like you posted would cost about $500.00 to $1,000.00 to buy. Insurance on it may be 200.00 annualy with full coverage.

It almost sounds like it's time for ya'll to start a revolution and take your country back...............something we need to do ourselves before it gets any further out of hand here in the good ol' U.S of A. :cry: :help:

HOSS":28cg7eba said:
Keren":28cg7eba said:

Wow! I don't see how you folks in other countries can afford to drive at all. I have travelled all over the world and aside from the US and maybe Canada it seems that most governments have all but taxed people out of being successfull. The cost of fuel is astronomical in most other countries except maybe the middle east. Taxes and fees are ridiculous and the prices on new and used cars are staggering. :shock:

Here my annual auto taxes are $25.00, fuel is $1.62 per gallon and a used truck like you posted would cost about $500.00 to $1,000.00 to buy. Insurance on it may be 200.00 annualy with full coverage.

It almost sounds like it's time for ya'll to start a revolution and take your country back...............something we need to do ourselves before it gets any further out of hand here in the good ol' U.S of A. :cry: :help:
I agree Hoss
I don't see how these other countries expect their citizens to make a decent living and get ahead

that's just it AC they don't. The tax, and tax on things here is stupid, they say it is because we are an Island and everything has to be imported, rubbish. It is because the Government is just greedy and has to pay for all of the foreign nationals we have now. But with this credit crunch the cost of a new car has come down considerably. Which in turn has bought the cost of the car your trying to sell down even further, so you just cant seem to give them away now. especially if they are a big car. and as for trucks they are just a no go unless you are a land owner and need them for the fields, as the road tax and insurance has knocked the little man out. Lets hope it evens out when this recession is over.

Keren":2shyahn4 said:
Oh it gets better I have to go into town today and transfer the ute into my name and hand in the notice of disposal for my red car. That will cost me probably $100 or so.
I just bought another farm truck this week it is a 2000 chevy 3500 with a dew eze hay bed on it I paid around $10,000 for it the insurance for (very high limits)and a $500 deductible with full coverage cost me $385 per yr, the taxes are about $36 pr yr and license is $21
I didn't have to pay any sales tax because I had a credit from selling another trk last month so to get it licensed insured and title transfered it cost me $424 and next yr it will only cost me the insurance and license

So I guess we don't have it to bad

So today I found out the hard way the hand brake needs adjusting :lol2:

Got a ton of feed today, backed it up to the shed to unload it onto the pallet (slight upwards slope towards the pallet), well lets just say I have to put rocks in front of the wheels to get the feed unloaded :lol2:

Heading off to the mechanic in the morning, and the welder in the afternoon for a crate

Keren..you got "took" on both of them. The steering wheel is on the wrong side. Brakes and other stuff probably are too. :lol: :lol2:

Latest posts