Pictures of a new Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Good looking fence.
At first I thought that maybe you should have used the triple post corner like some others advise. But there is an element that I remembered. It may not be necessary in your area with your dirt. Even here I have put up many fences with the same corner as you and they have held for at least 30 years that I know of. If it works, you done it right.

Rod, Aint that your house in the 3rd pic?

Things will sure get a lil' crowded with Dun moving in wont it?

How come my pic's not there when I did such a good job stretching that trashy Baekert Wire? :lol: :lol:

hurleyjd":2yc941ws said:
I should not have critequed your fence corners if you like them then so do I. Here is a website that explains fencing. I use this method when I build fence. Only difference is I use 3" O. D. pipe set 4 foot deep in 12 inch diameter holes with at least three 80 lbs of sackcrete mixed and poured. I weld braces top and bottom from the same dia. pipe with the bottom brace about 12 inches from the ground. The top brace will be the same height as my fence. All of my line fences are 58 inches high. I then cut and weld the bull panels in place. These are panels that are welded together and with a 6 inch grid from 7/'16 dia. rods. I always use the three post method in each line for the corners. I also use the 7 foot tee post. 6 wires on all line fences.

Forgot the website hetre it is. http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publicat ... PB1541.pdf

Moocow11":3stflw5d said:
and how much fence do you attach to these corners??
I have fences on the public roads and I try to have each fence section with the three pull posts in the corner three post setup every 250 feet or so. The reason, if a drunk runs through the fence then I do not have to take the whole section up to tighten and repair. I have abpout 300 acres fenced in this manner with cross fences so I have 25 to 30 acres in each pasture.

It cracks me up when folks criticize other folks' fencing methods. Dirt is not dirt. Sand is not clay is not rocks. Those braces will hold fine here (clay) but I would have driven them down to the 5' mark, the end posts look like they're sticking out a little more than that. Whatever floats your boat.

Rod - I'd think twice about adopting the old fart. Your fence cost less than a week's stash of his cigarettes!

cfpinz

Looks like some rich guy showing off his money.

We see it all the time around here.

But I ain't complaining.

Those rich folks buying land and "tax farming" are saving the land, otherwise, developers would be building houses instead of fences.

I'm a poor farmer, I use polywire, just one strand, and can hold just as many cows as that fancy fence.

farmerdude":6cjbcpld said:
I'm a poor farmer, I use polywire, just one strand, and can hold just as many cows as that fancy fence.

Would you put one stran of polywire against a major highway?

cfpinz

That's a maybe.

I live in a semi rural area and the times my cows got out was through an old barbed wire fence, and my road usually has 35 mph traffic, the young fools try to do 90.

I am going to go to two strands of hot poly near the road, just for security. I did have a jumper in the bunch. But a .410 shotgun teaches them how to get back home.

The key is the juice. It's gotta be super hot.

"Plug in" AC chargers. Mine are from Southern States, because they service them.

Only use solar on trained cattle, that have been exposed to the AC charger. Solar won't hold an untrained animal.

When I lived near Stuarts Draft, I saw those Mennonites keep cows right on busy highway 340, with not polywire, but just aluminum wire, one strand.

But the cows were trained, and gentle.

Wild and crazy cows vs. polywire.....forget it.

can t belive you guys are bustin on that fence. not a fl fence but it looks damn good to me and im sure its gonna do the job. hard to find a person that builds decent fence at all. most people dont even wanna do it anymore. they just hire it out..me im too poor..i gotta sweat

dieselbeef":1nr878hk said:
can t belive you guys are bustin on that fence. not a fl fence but it looks be nice good to me and im sure its gonna do the job. hard to find a person that builds decent fence at all. most people dont even wanna do it anymore. they just hire it out..me im too poor..i gotta sweat

I agree. I prefer to do it right once rather than tweeking and doctoring on it year after year. That looks like a one time fencing job.

Also, isn't that the kind of woven wire that will stretch back? Friend of mine just put some of that up and he likes it a lot.

farmerdude":2fzwiplx said:
When I lived near Stuarts Draft, I saw those Mennonites keep cows right on busy highway 340, with not polywire, but just aluminum wire, one strand.

The only ones I can think of in Stuarts Draft that I've seen contained in this manner were dairy cows. Different ballgame.

My biggest problem with polywire is that deer seem to like to rip and tear it all over the place. Maybe I need to find some of that deer-repellant polywire.

cfpinz

cfpinz":a94exono said:
farmerdude":a94exono said:

The only ones I can think of in Stuarts Draft that I've seen contained in this manner were dairy cows. Different ballgame.

My biggest problem with polywire is that deer seem to like to rip and tear it all over the place. Maybe I need to find some of that deer-repellant polywire.

cfpinz

Read an article by Jim Gerrish, he is/was the guru of rotatinal grazing at U of MO and now resides in ID. He said that keeping power on the fence all the time so that the elk and deer respect it is necesarry to keep them from tearing up the fences. The only time we have problems with the deer and poly wire is during the chase part of the rut. But they run through the permanent stuff and even the barb wire at that time of year.

farmerdude":13z1t6ue said:
Looks like some rich guy showing off his money. We see it all the time around here......

Sorry you feel that way farmerdude, I guess because of the following -
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34618&highlight=dad

I guess I am a bit parnoid about having a good strong fence built better than it should be. As you can see from the comments, several members here have had friends killed in similar accidents. I don't want to put myself in a position of defending why my fence didn't contain my cows and they caused an accident. Additionally, here in Alabama, the State code determines what is considered a fence "built to code". Yes there are a lot of fences which I see everyday that could open up the owner to a lawsuit or maybe even being liabile if someone has an accident or gets hurt.

Nowland Farms":2g1asgjd said:
I don't want to put myself in a position of defending why my fence didn't contain my cows and they caused an accident. Additionally, here in Alabama, the State code determines what is considered a fence "built to code". Yes there are a lot of fences which I see everyday that could open up the owner to a lawsuit or maybe even being liabile if someone has an accident or gets hurt.

Off the top of my head, I believe the "code" in VA is a minimum of 4 strands, 48" tall, with posts no further than 12' on center or having battens no further than 12' apart. If you have livestock at large and your fence doesn't meet those requirements you can be held liable. Not that I'm preaching, I have a lot of fence that doesn't meet those standards.

cfpinz

Wow! Your fence looks fantastic to me!

Last winter I had a dozer clear off an old fence row that was overgrown in huge Privet Hedge and Sweet gums. I built a new 5 strand 4 pt barb wire fence in its place, used cross ties for all bracing and post are on 10' centers.

I would be embarrassed to post pictures of mine after looking at yours!

I think that is a great fence - very nice. Isn't that Berkat wire supposed to withstand thousands of PSI? I saw a video once of a big bull pushing on it and pushed it out 8-10 feet, before he got tired and it pushed him back. The fence retained it's shape, for the most part.

My neighbor has a similar fence. Last year a lady took the turn too fast on a wet road and took out 4 posts on his fence. No worries - the woven was still standing. He put in new posts 5 days later and his Longhorns never got out.

Nowland Farms":8ja3kmms said:
Only things I needs to do is put up a strand of 4 point barb wire 3" above the fence and tidy up the fence at the gate post.

Very nice fence! I'm on a busy road too and I agree that you need a good stout fence along the road.

I run a strand of barbed wire at the very top of the woven wire, with no separation at all. It will do you more good than a single strand 3" above.

Woven wire will sag over time and then the cows will push it down further trying to reach through. If the barbed wire is too high it doesn't help because they get between it and the woven wire.

I also set my woven wire 8" off the ground and run a strand of barbed wire at the bottom so they can't push it out at the bottom.

I like woven wire fences as well. I have fences that have not been touched in 20 years. All my fences are field fence, even the cross fences, They are not as heavy wire as the perimeter though. Build them right and they will last. 3 foot in Alabama red clay is plenty deep. I won't go into the gumbo but many of you know what I'm talking about.

Latest posts