Pictures- Mostly Calves And Tribute to An Old Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Victoria

Reaction score
It was a beautiful day yesterday so I grabbed the camera and took some pics. I was watching this old cow. She is now 15. She has caught first heat every year. She's 7/8 Red Angus. If she has a steer it's the one I save for my freezer. She hasn't gotten the kudos she deserves so I thought I'd at least post her on here.:)
016.jpg

Here's the calf she had last year:
IMG_1055.jpg

For those of you that remember two years ago when I was asking about AI sires I thought I would share this pic. It isn't a good one as she just wouldn't stand right but this is my Sequoia heifer. She gets no grain, just free choice hay. She's an easy keeper anyway. She's about 12 months in this picture.
016-1.jpg

One of our first calvers with her three day old heifer calf. She had her without assistance.
036.jpg

And now the posing babies:
029.jpg

009.jpg

006.jpg

Fascinated by mud:
027.jpg

Finally living the life of Reiley:
033.jpg

I love 10U, so cute. Love that old cow. We all have a favorite old one, don't we?
You don't have much snow.

Victoria, that's a good looking 15 year old. She is in great condition. But then, all your animals look excellent. I know you are proud of them and you should be. You are doing a great job.

those are some great pics.the cows are so slick an content.the calves are just too cute.

Nice pics. I think most all of us have one or two old cows that we have an appreciation for. I hope she gives you another 15 years of satisfaction.

What the deal with the IOU calf? Gambling debts? :)

thanks for the pics., that is the best thing on these boards, that really touches the heart and makes me remember the first reason I have cows.

hayray":33y38p4j said:
thanks for the pics., that is the best thing on these boards, that really touches the heart and makes me remember the first reason I have cows.

I agree. The great info and the wonderful photos really make me realize even though I live out in the middle of nowhere, there are others doing the same thing with their cattle.

Thanks for a great tribute to a good cow.

CUZ":1o4vd46f said:
Nice pics. I think most all of us have one or two old cows that we have an appreciation for. I hope she gives you another 15 years of satisfaction.

What the deal with the IOU calf? Gambling debts? :)

I didn't even notice that before1 :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Maybe I should change her number!

iowahawkeyes":jusutcs9 said:
I love 10U, so cute. Love that old cow. We all have a favorite old one, don't we?
You don't have much snow.

Nope our 12 degree weather (53ish F I think) helped take care of most of the snow problem. :banana:

What a pleasant post! If the cow needs some rest and recreation in the sunny south, she is welcome.
We old girls will get along fine. The calves are cute. At our farm we raise cuuuuute with a good portion of muscle attached but the cuuuuuute comes first. God made them cute so we wouldn't kill them when we are trying to handle them. They can be exasperating sometimes but soooo cute.

Mosho":2tqf7lz2 said:
What a pleasant post! If the cow needs some rest and recreation in the sunny south, she is welcome.
We old girls will get along fine. The calves are cute. At our farm we raise cuuuuute with a good portion of muscle attached but the cuuuuuute comes first. God made them cute so we wouldn't kill them when we are trying to handle them. They can be exasperating sometimes but soooo cute.
Yeah, they go from cute to hard headed devils. That makes eatin' 'em that much easier!

Sure like your cows. We are looking at converting to Red Angus and would sure like to find some like yours. Are they commericial or registered? That calf off your 15 year old cow is pretty impressive.. Can't tell if he is a steer or bull, if he's a steer you should know he looks better than most of the Red Angus bull we've seen this year. and we looked at a lot. The red Angus from Axtel Cattle co. were the best but they're at under 5000ft and without PAP tests it's a crapshoot on the brisket disease. Too bad cause he has a couple I really liked. May buy some heifers from him later but they still have to be PAPed and they have to be at altitude for 3 weeks before you can do the test.

I would be interested in knowing what bloodlines you keep and what is your Altitude there. We're at 7000' and Brisket disease is a problem.

Miss Daisy":3ovf6333 said:
I know this is gonna sound like a stupid question but where'd you get the ear tags. never seen em before.

Not a stupid question at all. They are Y-tex tags. I think they are a fairly common tag. I get them from our local Peavy Mart, and I know that Valley Vet carries them.