Pictures From Yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
My dad came down yesterday for a visit and we spent a good part of the day touring around looking at crops & pastures. The pastures are looking better than they have in years. Some places look better than we've ever seen them. The hay is looking pretty darn good too and will probably start cutting in the next week or so.

Cows are looking fat & sassy and calves are growing pretty good (Most are born April/May). The only bad thing so far this year is the mosquitos! They are AWFUL! You pretty much have to bathe in bug spray and even then they are still trying to eat you alive. Feel bad for the cattle who can't do much to get away from them.

IMG_7478sm_zpsqtpq9t1m.jpg

Black Angus heifer calf - just shy of 5 months old.

IMG_7582sm_zpsgsxbgebu.jpg

Red Angus pairs

IMG_7689sm_zpslcp1p69x.jpg

this bull calf really wanted to be my friend - No Thanks!

IMG_7803sm_zpskrm8w7mc.jpg

commercial pairs These were supposed to have a Gelbvieh bull with them, but he crippled himself 4 days before we were going to turn him out. :( So a Red Angus yearling we had sticking around for backup will have to do the job...

IMG_7924sm_zpstgbrxgdy.jpg

7 year old Red Angus cow.

IMG_8118sm_zpsgyorenel.jpg

I have never seen these hills so green before! or this much grass on this native land. These are all commercial pairs

IMG_8125sm_zpsi7tu6f8z.jpg

IMG_8143sm_zps8r8msudx.jpg

half sisters (other than the black nosed cow in the background - she is no relation). The 3 light reds are all Gelbvieh sired.

IMG_8204sm_zpsnz3vkit0.jpg

it had just rained before we got to these cows and this calf is more than a little curly haired when wet haha.

IMG_8235sm_zpsdxadzwxn.jpg

IMG_8090sm_zps6ghn2mol.jpg

IMG_8261sm_zpsdssp7cla.jpg

IMG_8340sm_zpsjkrluuej.jpg

Had a new calf yesterday afternoon. Took me quite awhile to find it this morning. That grass on our home piece we have never seen like that. With no snow this winter the cows absolutely tortured it and had it chewed off to pretty much dirt. We thought it would take a long while to recover but with all the rain showers we've been getting it looks better than ever! Cows were pulled off this piece the end of March and let back in a week or so ago.

Thanks for letting me share!

Wow, that does look nice out there!.. Your 5 month old heifer is really good looking for being born in April/May :p

That 7 year old RA cow looks nice too.. heck, they all do!

I have some calves like your "friendly bull calf" that have "SH!tty ideas too.. like nursing/thieving from the backside of the cow

Nesikep":1aytj9yg said:
Wow, that does look nice out there!.. Your 5 month old heifer is really good looking for being born in April/May :p

That 7 year old RA cow looks nice too.. heck, they all do!

I have some calves like your "friendly bull calf" that have "SH!tty ideas too.. like nursing/thieving from the backside of the cow

:lol: :lol: I did say 'most' were born April/May. she was one of our 5 earlier born calves (3 at the end of Jan, 1 Feb & 1 early Mar). I really like her, but she has quite a bit of extra white on her belly. Too much for a purebred IMO even though I've seen others with a lot more.

That 7 yr old RA cow we bought last December at a dispersal. I never really thought she was anything too special, but she has been growing on me quite a bit the last few months. Her EPD's are average at best but she was designated an Elite Cow by the Canadian Angus Assoc. this year (found that out by chance when was looking something else up on the angus assoc website). Which I had no idea she was close to qualifying when we purchased her. Here's a link that explains how they are designated Elite: http://cdnangus.ca/genetics/elite-and-premier-programs/
Her calf this year is big, but she's kind of an ugly duckling I think. We'll see how she looks this fall.

That little sh!thead bull calf kept sneaking up behind me and I thought for sure my butt was gonna be covered in crap :lol: Make friends with me when your not covered in crap haha

I've had some heifers that grew well but just didn't catch my eye at all... or some that looked fantastic at 8 weeks old, and then I'm looking for them at 6 months and they've totally fallen apart (or over winter after weaning too). My little cow that had the biggest steer of the year last year is doing it again with her heifer calf.. very nice calf, though not perfect (a little tall)... I'll see how she turns out.

You must have to be looking at that calf from under it's belly to see white.. I don't see much except for a wee spot on the udder area

Nesikep":3pc9cuji said:
You must have to be looking at that calf from under it's belly to see white.. I don't see much except for a wee spot on the udder area

IMG_7455sm_zpswwwn0uio.jpg

You can see it from the other side fairly easy... That one spot is too high up to be acceptable to me and there's a pretty solid line all the way from her udder to her navel. I'm sure there is reg'd cows out there with more white than her, but not something I want to have to start worrying about all the time. We are pretty much maxed out numbers wise unless we can find some more pasture somewhere, so going to have to start being pickier about who gets to stay. :)

And thanks TennesseeTuxedo & TN Cattle Man - glad you enjoyed the pictures!

Such TERRIBLE colouration!!! Though in my books it's the black that's the problem not the white :p She oughtta be red :p

I wish I had the luxury of getting that nit-picky.. I'm still working on function, and a little on conformation

Nesikep":3swmuccu said:
Such TERRIBLE colouration!!! Though in my books it's the black that's the problem not the white :p She oughtta be red :p

I wish I had the luxury of getting that nit-picky.. I'm still working on function, and a little on conformation
+ 1 She looks great!

Latest posts