picture taking tips

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
i must say that all the users of this board are really helpfull down to earth people. thanks for all the advice. i am trying to get some pics together of my donor cows and herd sires for my website. any tips. time of day, time of year. thanks

check down under the "Site Studio" board. Macon posted a link to some hints under "cattle photos"

The best light for taking livestock (and most outdoor) pictures is in the morning or evening, and noon the worst, as the sun will cast unflattering shadows over the animal. I agree that summer is the best time of the year for it, as the previous poster mentioned... winter hair coats detract rather than add to the picture. Another thing to keep in mind is background. You can have a very nice picture conformation wise of your animal, but if it looks like a fencepost or farm implement is sprouting out of it's head you've taken away from the subject again. I was recently reading an article about photographing horses, and the author suggested 3/4 shots, and also to use a zoom lens (at least 20) as this helps avoid the old exagerated head and tiny body scenario.

Take care and good luck. Maybe you can post a couple of pics on the board so we can admire them when you're done.

browarny also has a photo school. check their website for dates & locations. i think it's browarny.com

The unfortunate thing about Browarny is that you have to have time to travel to either Texas or Canada. There schools don't often get east of the Mississippi. I am finding that pratice makes perfect. And if you want a shot where the animal looks like they are in the show ring...you have to have someone with you to get their attention. On the other hand, a really good zoom will get a good picture and the animal won't even know you are there.

I was taking pictures of the neighbors clubby calves, I had three calves licking my pant leg and the calf I was wanting the pic of would not walk away from me. She was trying to lick the camera. Finally had to go get help. Always interesting!!! Have fun

Nothing harder to take a good picture of than an animal that you can't move away from! :lol: :lol: :lol:

certherfbeef":2ghw4g6t said:
The unfortunate thing about Browarny is that you have to have time to travel to either Texas or Canada. There schools don't often get east of the Mississippi. I am finding that pratice makes perfect. And if you want a shot where the animal looks like they are in the show ring...you have to have someone with you to get their attention. On the other hand, a really good zoom will get a good picture and the animal won't even know you are there.

I was taking pictures of the neighbors clubby calves, I had three calves licking my pant leg and the calf I was wanting the pic of would not walk away from me. She was trying to lick the camera. Finally had to go get help. Always interesting!!! Have fun

Latest posts