Picture says it all!

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
On 12/30/16 I had a Reg. Black Gelbvieh heifer lay down and have her first PB calf on her own. It was dark so no pictures taken. Anyway, we had a cold snap come through when this calf was bout a week old, I noticed mamma bawling for her calf. I originally thought it was just laying outside the fence but then I found this!! :( :roll: When a heifer does such a good job having, cleaning, mothering etc. things like this make me sick. Welcome to the cattle business right. B&G

:bang: :bang:

So sorry. Ain't no way life is fair....any chance you could get her to take a foster calf and at least salvage the lactation? Seems we are always saying "try again next year"...

Yes not the best. I feel for the cow. We are used to getting kicked in the guts and understand what has happened and although it is not nice having the loss we get over it. Sorry to hear of it though from your point B&G, just seems a pointless waste.

Ken

As former POTUS famously said, "I feeeeeeel yer pain."

We're missing a just weaned fullblood calf. We think a very large predator drug it off the property and had a snack. But if that isn't the reason, we might be missing a calf for the same reason as you ... or maybe an alien space ship came ... losing a nice one and not having any idea what really happened is a weird / bad feeling.

I'm sorry for your loss.

WalnutCrest":121amtl8 said:
As former POTUS famously said, "I feeeeeeel yer pain."

We're missing a just weaned fullblood calf. We think a very large predator drug it off the property and had a snack. But if that isn't the reason, we might be missing a calf for the same reason as you ... or maybe an alien space ship came ... losing a nice one and not having any idea what really happened is a weird / bad feeling.

I'm sorry for your loss.

One of our neighbors found 2 cows mutilated recently. No way an animal predator was that skilled with a knife. BTW, clearly not in your case since your calf was just weaned but if you're missing a small calf, look up in the trees where mountain lions will sometimes stash them.

Latest posts