Picture of bald spots around the eyes. Please take a look

Help Support CattleToday:

wideurt

Reaction score
Heres a picture of one of my heifers with the bald spots It took me a while to fiqure how to post a pic . What do you think this is

100_1285-01.jpg

100_1283.JPG

100_1282.JPG

Ringworm, I have a couple of show calves with this and we are treating with bleach pens. You just need to be careful not to get it in their eyes when treating.

If this is ringworm will it go away by itself without causing problems. If so how long will it take.

wideurt":3136bc0n said:
If this is ringworm will it go away by itself without causing problems. If so how long will it take.

If it's ringworm, and I have no reason to think it isn't...just haven't seen it around eyes like that before, it'll go away by itself. You can also get the ringworm stuff at the drug store and doctor it, but if your calves are like mine, that could turn into a real rodeo.

Alice

Unless you are going to show them I'd let nature take it's course. If you want to treat I'd use Blu Kote, just spray on every other day, make sure not to use to much were it drips into the eye. When you spray they will close there eyes.

I've got two I can walk up to & pet ,their all pretty calm.I.ld rather let nature take its course.One has had it probly 6 weeks or longer.She dos'nt have it around her eyes. But it is not getting better.What about other animals getting it(cats,dogs,me)We raised cats once&ringworm pretty much put us out of buissness.Thats not a problem now though.

i had the same thing here.Was on the eyes just like that. I had 6 calves in a lot and when 1 got it they all got it. At first I cornered each one, took a paintbrush and brushed on iodine. It went away, but honestly I don't think the iodine done anything. Actually I think it was a waste of time. It eventually went away. Seems like it took about 2-3 months. I know it looks terrible, but it will go away.

I am very confident that it is ringworm. Alice, I'm surprised you haven't seen it around the eyes - very typical.
Anyway, leave it alone, takes time but will go away.
And YES, you can get it.
It is like a childhood disease, it will run it's course, and once they've had it - it is very unlikely they will ever have it again.

I would get something on it. There are some good anti-fungus liquids out that will help it. And by the way, the other calves will probably get it, and expect to get it next year.

I was told that the fungus from ring worm can live a LONG time, especially in porous items, such as wood. Animals scratch themselves or rub up on it and it will keep coming back.

Good thing is, the animal will usually only get it once. Usually in it's 1st year of life. Make sure you have plenty of good minerals out, and I also add a bit of a vitamin mix.. like cow-lac or cattle-lac. I think it helps, but who knows. Seems like 25 to 30% of calves get it, at least at my place, usually hits around Feb - Mar and is gone in about 6 weeks - give or take a week or two.

Michele

mitchwi":pbk73j3u said:
I was told that the fungus from ring worm can live a LONG time, especially in porous items, such as wood. Animals scratch themselves or rub up on it and it will keep coming back.

Good thing is, the animal will usually only get it once. Usually in it's 1st year of life. Make sure you have plenty of good minerals out, and I also add a bit of a vitamin mix.. like cow-lac or cattle-lac. I think it helps, but who knows. Seems like 25 to 30% of calves get it, at least at my place, usually hits around Feb - Mar and is gone in about 6 weeks - give or take a week or two.

Michele

Supplementing iodine will stop the ringworm and footrot both.

It is ringworm. I saw it for the first time in our herd this year. 2 calves and 2 cows, of no relation. It looked exactly like your pictures.

Since it is close to the eye, I recommend a rag soaked in iodine, but any of the remedies will work. I don't think I would leave it alone. Ring worm is contagious.

I would say that you can probably expect to get it every year, but that's pretty bold statement. I would try something to treat it. You can scrape it a little and then use Iodine or some anti-fungal treatment.

A good mineral will help against it. Like Caustic said, Iodine helps alot with it. Go get a mineral that you will eat. There is alot of debate which is best, Right Now, Wind&Rain, Vigortone, these seem to hold up to the weather (moisture) the best. The minerals only as good as if they will eat it.

This is not what I use, http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... 08f181f4fe, but it's the closest thing I could find real quick. Something like this will work pretty well.

How does ringworm get started.These girls are with 1 horse no other cows.There are 6 cats but never noticed ringworm on any.