(Pics) Update 4/24/09

Help Support CattleToday:

WindyHillFarm

Reaction score
Well it has been two months what do you think????

Bull 2/24/2009
bull2-24-2009-1.jpg

Same Bull 4/5/09

DSCI0019.jpg

DSCI0048.jpg

DSCI0017.jpg

DSCI0040.jpg

Same Bull 4/19/2009

DSCI0010.jpg

DSCI0002-1.jpg

Hiefer 2/24/2009

cows2-24-09.jpg

Same Hiefer 3/19/2009

hiefer3-19-2009.jpg

Same Heifer 4/5/2009

DSCI0033-1.jpg

DSCI0031.jpg

DSCI0060.jpg

DSCI0046.jpg

DSCI0045.jpg

Same Hiefer 4/19/2009
DSCI0025-1.jpg

DSCI0023.jpg

DSCI0004.jpg

So it has now been 2 months how would you rate the improvment?

I don't know how much they have improved from when you first got them, of course they have some weight to put on yet in my opinion, but they oughtta work! Would like to see some more pics in a few months, they sure do look healthy and content so far. Thanks for the pics!

grubbie":35u2et4i said:
I don't know how much they have improved from when you first got them, of course they have some weight to put on yet in my opinion, but they oughtta work! Would like to see some more pics in a few months, they sure do look healthy and content so far. Thanks for the pics!

I agree that they are not there yet but in less than a month they have cleaned up nice and average a good daily gain. I'll keep you posted in a few weeks, I am trying to keep records every two weeks of there condition to determine my investement vs return.

They have really come along nicely. Good job.

If you are going to do this regularly I would strongly suggest you purchase a scale. It is amazing what some data can show you, in addition to the visual improvement. You can stick a scale under a simple homemade alley, maybe on the way to and from the feed trough. Just direct them to it and pause them maybe once a week with a couple (solid) plywood vertical or horizontal sliding gates. They will get used to it after awhile and it is no big deal. If you locate this right, it can also be a place where the vet can back up his chute if and when needed.

This way you can see what the rate of gain is per pound or dollar of feed. They will come back quickly from their earlier underweight condition as you show but that will level off at some point back to a more normal rate of gain.

Jim

They look nice, WHF. Would love to see more pictures in a couple months! :) At first when I saw there was 3 pictures of the bull, I thought it was 3 different bulls and was thinking "why in the world would he have 3 bulls for only a few heifers?" :lol2: Then it dawned upon me.............LOL.

grubbie":12wqe0xv said:

Updated Pics

Jeanne - Simme Valley":aj6qybzl said:
I'm surprised noone else has asked - What are you feeding? bread?

They are Angus/Charlais, I am currently feeding them about 2.5-3lb of 12% cattle complete feed and about 4-5lbs Alfalfa Cubes 15% (local feed store sold them as damaged for 2.00 per 50lbs picked up a ton for 80.00) They also have destroyed a 16% 200lb protein tub in less than two weeks and are now about 1/4 of the way through a 200lb 24% protien block in 5 days they are consuming free choice as though it were free and have free choice salt (Cheaper than mineral if that is why they are consuming I would rather they go right to the salt) they also have access to all the costal hay they want thay was left over from our hourses this year and we have a good stand of coastal in the pastures already this year 4-5 inches tall.

I hope to plull the feed back as soon as they are at a decent body condition, they have come along way and have more to go. I want to provide some consitant nutrients for a period of time then bring them off the feed as needed as to not let them fall back to there prior condition. The prior owner fed spillage from a local mill when he could get it and I have a feeling it was feast or famine. With my current investment in the animals and feed I will still be in a better position than purchasing anything else I have seen availible. There temperment also had a lot to do with why I purchased them when I went to look at them you had to push them away as they were trying to lick you. The breeding bull in the pasture (full Registered Angus) walked right up to get his head scratched. We are a small outfit and I do not like to fix fence so happy friendly cows make my life easy.

grubbie":18mz5vo6 said:

updated pics

Weight wise they are improving. Quality wise no. Adding more weight will never take the place of poor quality cattle.

I think you and them have done a h@ll of a job .. :clap:

What a difference some TLC and decent groceries make. Keep it up all of you, lets see what they look like in 6 months.. :tiphat:

Very very nice looking animals. I wouldn't have bought them originally, but you obviously saw their potential. Great job! :clap:

:banana:
cowman30":27iauuk5 said:
Weight wise they are improving. Quality wise no. Adding more weight will never take the place of poor quality cattle.
:banana:

And niether will hijacking a thread when you have nothing to contribute, the question was not what is the quality of the animal rather what do you think of the improvment over a 60 day period. If you are able to read the thread you will see that I am a small operation and started with these cows for economic, and tempermental reasons. As far as poor quality you need some glasses poor condition yes not poor quality. I would be interested to see how much improvement you can produce with less than $2.00 feed per head a day and average 3-4 per day gains. :tiphat:

Latest posts