Pics or it didn't happen

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoser

Reaction score
I want to know if you folks would keep any of these heifers in your respective operations. I have an idea of who I like and what does does well here but I am curious what you guys think. Please be brutally honest with me with what you like and/or dislike. The white faces are sired by a polled hereford bull, the black an angus bull.
This heifer is out of a angus limo cross cow. She is definitely the heaviest one.

This girl is out of our purebred hereford cow. She was supposed to be bred to our angus bull but she just wasn't that into him I guess.

She is out of a balancer cow. Super quiet just the way I like em.

Simangus. She may not look like anything special right now but if she grows into a strong square cow like her mama then she's staying with us.

Out of an easy going old black angus cow.

The youngest of the group but out of a very productive cow. We have had great luck with her heifer calves in the past.

These may not be the nicest cows in the country but they are bought and paid for. :D

All that matters is if you like them or not. This site covers way to much country to ask that kind of a question. There will be some on here that like white ,Char., cattle others like reds, a bunch that think if its not black its not any good, then the southern guys if it not got some ear they don't like them. Would I keep them? no, but not because they are not nice heifers but they would not fit on my herd at all , not enough ear for my liking, but where you are from you wouldn't like my eared cattle.

BRYANT":cqzml93z said:
All that matters is if you like them or not. This site covers way to much country to ask that kind of a question. There will be some on here that like white ,Char., cattle others like reds, a bunch that think if its not black its not any good, then the southern guys if it not got some ear they don't like them. Would I keep them? no, but not because they are not nice heifers but they would not fit on my herd at all , not enough ear for my liking, but where you are from you wouldn't like my eared cattle.
You're right Bryant.

I change my question to what do you like and dislike about these heifers.

I like the last one, the 2nd and the 3rd heifers the most from this group. I've chosen them, because that they look like having the most round shaped bodies from all. Others are showing too much bones, lack of meat. That's just judging from this group.
Keep the ones you like and cull the ones you don't like.

Not a fan of the Brockle faced black. Could be the camera angle but looks funnel butted. The others all look like they should make good cows.

Hoser":1mxkfv1u said:
I want to know if you folks would keep any of these heifers in your respective operations. I have an idea of who I like and what does does well here but I am curious what you guys think. Please be brutally honest with me with what you like and/or dislike. The white faces are sired by a polled hereford bull, the black an angus bull.
This heifer is out of a angus limo cross cow. She is definitely the heaviest one.

This girl is out of our purebred hereford cow. She was supposed to be bred to our angus bull but she just wasn't that into him I guess.
Nice heifer.
BUT fertility problems don't improve with age and making excuses for her is a losing proposition, feeder heifer or
Keep trying, if and when she's pg don't calve her out, sell her as a bred heifer.

oops downloaded wrong heifer picture
Black mottled faced heifer lacks chest and the one I like least.

Son of Butch":1mc8pkt0 said:
Hoser":1mc8pkt0 said:

Nice heifer.
BUT fertility problems don't improve with age and making excuses for her is a losing proposition, feeder heifer or
Keep trying, if and when she's pg don't calve her out, sell her as a bred heifer.

oops downloaded wrong heifer picture (I really like this first one)
back to my 1st point cull on fertility and slow breeding heifers usually get worse with age
I worded it funny but what I meant was the heifers MOTHER was supposed to be bred to our angus bull but she got into the other breeding pasture in with our hereford bull. She still caught early on so it wasn't a huge deal.

Since you specifically said "I want to know if you folks would keep any of these heifers in your respective operations," the Hereford heifer is the only one I'd keep, but that's just because I only keep Hereford and Brangus. However, if I was keeping cross-bred heifers I'd probably keep all of them except the black mottle-faced one. I agree with cattleman99 about her looking a little light in the back.

Based on these pics I would cut the brockle face and the simm angus. At this point neither have what I look for. And if you have any simm angus in your cattle around here it is best not to say it at the sale ring.

The quality of the pictures isn't equal in all of them, so it's a little hard to make a good comparison
I don't like the two black ones, and in this case it's not because they're black.. The first one doesn't seem to have any chest, the second one has no arse and looks post legged. I don't see any striking flaws on the rest from the pics.

Hoser":36o63o2o said:
sim.-ang.king":36o63o2o said:
I'd cut out the herefords and the BWF.
I'm curious why you would cut out the hereford?
Hereford looking calves, or calves with lots of white on their bellie, don't sell well around here. They have to be pretty outstanding to sell as good as a solid. A little white on the face, or a little white behind the navel doesn't hurt.
Not to say they wouldn't be good cows or not. Just not what the buyer wants, and his opinion is the only one that matters.

sim.-ang.king":11c05oar said:
Hoser":11c05oar said:
sim.-ang.king":11c05oar said:
Hereford looking calves, or calves with lots of white on their bellie, don't sell well around here. They have to be pretty outstanding to sell as good as a solid. A little white on the face, or a little white behind the navel doesn't hurt.
Not to say they wouldn't be good cows or not. Just not what the buyer wants, and his opinion is the only one that matters.
Fair enough. Herefords sell fairly well here, especially if I breed her to a thick stout black angus bull.

True Grit Farms":3wodypo2 said:
Hoser":3wodypo2 said:
I can't believe I forgot to snap a picture of one of my favourite heifers.

Thanks for the critiques so far folks!

What makes her one of your favorites?
She's standing on a slope so you can't tell but she has a nice straight back and good fat coverage throughout. Moves out well too.

sim.-ang.king":2fzr2ssp said:
Hoser":2fzr2ssp said:
sim.-ang.king":2fzr2ssp said:
King, do you go through any of the sale barns? I know you're awful close to Wayne City. The buyer I been using knows about when our Herf cross calves are due to sell, and asks about them. He discounts our Simm calves, though.

Latest posts