Pics of some cattle, your thoughts

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Went out and took a few pics, thought It may be my turn to share.... my bullet proof vest is on tell me what you think, but please the good with the bad.

First is the Red Obisdian heifer I bought in April, has been on nothing but grass for 3 months.

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

This is one of my favorite cows, Call 100 daughter. How would you score her udder to the AHA?

IMG_1242.jpg

Heres one that I would like to get your thoughts on, born mid March;

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

The last pic mom was in the sych process and being hayed... not enough by the look of the pic :( .

Thanks,
Alan

you have some fine looking hereford cows an calves.that is 1 nice heifer you bought.an those bull calves are growing like weeds.

I think the first few cows look good, the calf doesn't look to bad either. I would have hauled the last cow to the sale barn a while back. Udder scores should be taken right after they calve, when they are packed full, I think the AHA are really trying to tighten up on the scoring when they went to the new system, Trying to picture hers when full, I say, udder attachment a 6, teats a 6 maybe a 7 depending on how much they swell.

rocket2222":k0od26u6 said:
I think the first few cows look good, the calf doesn't look to bad either. I would have hauled the last cow to the sale barn a while back.

She is the last of my original 4 heifers I bought when I began, she's about 10 or 11, but has always gave my a 600 lb weanling calf. She is at the bottom of the cull list but... I agree close to being time to go.

Udder scores should be taken right after they calve, when they are packed full, I think the AHA are really trying to tighten up on the scoring when they went to the new system, Trying to picture hers when full, I say, udder attachment a 6, teats a 6 maybe a 7 depending on how much they swell.

Thanks for the scores, hopfully others will chime in.

Alan

Well, I don't know much about "scoring" but I do know what I like when I see it. I like them. I've always like Herefords, especially good-looking Herefords. Regarding the last cow pictured, I think many of us have had one of those old gals who doesn't look too swift anymore but still produces a good calf.

I especially like the fact they look like that on grass alone.....as it should be.

Katherine

The Red Obsidian daughter is a step in the right direction type wise, I would like to see more and closer up pics of her before saying too much.

The Call100 daughter is a touch too much for your environment, very typical of the early nineties herefords, bred to the right bull she can be very usefull for a few more years. Don't know about the AHA's udder scoring system, but by my less than scientific one she's "good enough".

The calf is well proportioned, more pigment would be better, muscle looks slightly short at this stage, but again I'll reserve further comments till I've seen more.

The old cow carries a heavy parasite infection as can be seen by the beginning of a bottle jaw. I agree with Rocket2222 that she may have reached the end of her usefullness.

What does the Moler heifer look like now?

For Harley and anyone else, I went out this morning a took a few more pics of the newst heifer. As I said above she has been on straight grass for about 3 months. I spent too much time trying to get the cows out of the brush line... no luck. Here's a closer look.

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

Finally in defense of granny, she looks a little better here. :D Yes she is at the top of the cull list, but with the cow developing the blockage she got another season because I have the room.

Alan

IMG_1246.jpg

Alan its always difficult to sit on another continent and make suggestions, but your old cow looks worse to me in this photo, the bottle jaw is also more evident. If one has a parasite infestation to this degree you can bet your bottom dollar that all your cattle have the same problem to a lesser degree.

I suggest doing a bit of online research and treat aggressively for all types of parasites including flukes. I get the impression that it is something that is really neglected in the USA, probably because of your abundant grazing during summer. Bear in mind that most flukes require a follow up treatment and the timing of that will depend on the type of parasite. For instance if you treat for liverflukes or conical flukes using Tramisan you need to repeat the treatment 72 hours later. With other products the repeat treatment isn't neccesarily on the same schedule as Tramisan.

As with all parasites your older animals, yearlings and those animals teething or with more production pressure on them will suffer the worst.

Thanks Harley, I do have a thick skin, on most things including this topic about the old cow. I agree 100 % with your thoughts on granny... but it is granny. I worm twice a year, cattle were dosed with Iveromic plus injectable (liver flukes) in May. Then just before calving they get a dose of pour on. This time of year I do have a problem with lice and of course we are just getting into fly season. Does the call 100 daughter look like she has a parasite problem? Most of my cattle look like her, so I may be missing something big.

Granny was AI'd about 2 weeks ago , what is your thoughts on a pour on now in regards to the fetus?

BTW the focus was meant to be on her calf not her, she is at the top of the cull list. What is your thoughts on the heifer? Good and bad.

Thanks as always,
Alan

Is that bottle jaw, or just a thin piece of skin hanging like some people have? I would think bottle jaw caused by fluid buildup would be more rounded in appearance.

I assume your worming program is designed by your local veterinarian who would know your area and operation and what parasites are the biggest issues.

djinwa":1z2lc8tq said:
Is that bottle jaw, or just a thin piece of skin hanging like some people have? I would think bottle jaw caused by fluid buildup would be more rounded in appearance.

Thanks for your reply, I really don't think it's a bottle jaw as much as you said just hanging skin. I went out yesterday and spent a lot of time looking at the condition of my herd and the old cow in particular. While I think she looks a bit better in person, I believe the pics give me a better view of how close she is to culling. She just happened to give me a one of my better calves this year, he should go an easy 600lb 205 day weight.... she is always given me a calf in the top 30% weaning weight.... but I agree that she is not a herd improver for the most part.

I assume your worming program is designed by your local veterinarian who would know your area and operation and what parasites are the biggest issues.

I know all of the Vets in our area pretty well, not as a client as much as through our business, all of them agree that in our area we do not have much of a problem with liver flukes. But I treat for them anyway. Here in the Western part of the Pacific Northwest, we don't have much for Heart worm in dogs or West Nile or ticks.... just lucky, maybe but I always believe in "trust everyone and brand you calves."

Thanks for all your posts,
Alan

Latest posts