Pics of new heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
We only have a couple of straws of B/R New Design 036 left and have had nothing but bull calves for the last couple of years. Finally, we got a heifer. I'm pretty excited about this. :D Edited: BW 76 lbs.

Xmas63calf008.jpg

Xmas63calf010.jpg

Xmas63calf009.jpg

glad you finally got a heifer out of the bull.its hard to get a heifer out of bulls you really like.she is a cute calf.an her momma is staying close by her.

VanC":3cmouoq6 said:
Hope she turns out for you.

What did you do with the bulls out of 036? How did they turn out?

Thanks. We tested the bulls at OBI and sold them. They do well on test and commercial buyers seem to like them. When we started testing at OBI, the only EPD buyers seemed concerned about was the BW EPD. But about 5-6 years ago, carcass became more important. One year a guy was walking around the sale pens, looking at bulls, and had every 036 son marked in his sale catalog. There are probably better bulls around today. His EPDs aren't especially good anymore, so I wouldn't go out and pay big bucks for more semen. We'll probably use the straws that we've got left on heifers.

Nice calf!
What's the momma out of?
I have a Midland first calf heifer that looks just like her? She just had a bull calf out of Rito 2 878 of 2536 BVND 878.

UncleLA":15dd2oss said:
Nice calf!
What's the momma out of?
I have a Midland first calf heifer that looks just like her? She just had a bull calf out of Rito 2 878 of 2536 BVND 878.

Mom is a TC Foreman first calver. She goes back to a Right Time dam, who's out of an old Pierre X Traveler 23-4 cow. She's a bit confused today. Another cow had a calf and she keeps trying to call it to her. I guess she thinks it's hers, too. But the other cow isn't going to let that happen. :D

Speaking of Midland: we've had a couple born here and they've been early and small. Is that your experience?

That Midland first calver that I was referring to is a former show heifer that did well, but was on the smaller side. If she stays moderate size, maybe she'll be an easy keeper.
However, our herd bull is a Midland son. It seems every calf we have gotten out of him has been small. Fortunately, the calves catch up!

I have an 036 daughter. She is 4 years old and may be the most productive cow I have. Everyone that sees her loves her. From commercial cattlemen to the show jocks. we weaned a 780 lbs son of hers a couple months ago (205 adj). By far the heaviest weaner ever on our place. He also looks good enough to show which my son says he may show at the State Angus show. Anyhoo I love a good 036.

Frankie, that heifer looks like a twin to my first PB Angus calf that was born in December, she is named Scooter, she can run faster than anything we own and she loves to run and kick up her heels.

I will try and get a pic when the weather gets better here and I am home when the sun is up.

Nice looking pair. Since finding this board I try to follow the bloodlines of different breeds I get a little lost. l'm learning from you guys. The mother looks like she's going to be a good producing mother for you. I love that body type she has. Not too big, just the right size.

Thanks for the comments. The cow is staying right with the calf. Where she's grazing, the calf isn't far away. I guess she'll put her with the "calf nest" soon. She'll grow into that ear tag. :D

We've had several 036 females over the years. But when we've had to sell down from losing pasture leases or drought, it seems they're the first ones people want to buy. I'm hanging on to this one though. :)

Latest posts