Pics of my small herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Alrighty now. When a cow is described as normal looking there will be a different description from just about each individual on this board on what normal means to them. This is why I ask what you see in your cattle.

Look at your cattle as if you were the judge in the ring. Compare them to the cattle you were showing against or even in magazines or on the net. Then write down those differences. Over all eye appeal - proportion, rump, shoulders, neck, ect.

If you look at the rump from the rear do you see a rump that is more round on the sides or more straight on the sides? This would be rump width. Is the rump muscles covering the spine. The gut less than the rump. Looking from the hind you don't see more gut than rump.

Looking on a side profile does the shoulder, middle, flank and rump all flow in a nice smooth surface. And this is not with the hair all primped. As if all the hair was shaved off as to not cover the lacking spots. Balanced in shoulders/fore to rump/hind.

Leg structure side view. Judges will sometimes frown on post legs, some not. Legs strong looking to indicate durability and longevity. Hooves very important, same as legs. No flat feet.

What does the top line look like. Straighter the better. Clean top will make a clean underline. Proportion: length- 1/3 for each of the 3 sections. Neck(poll to shoulder), back(shoulder to hip bone), rump(hip bone to pin bone).

Some have more of a brisket than others.

As you can tell I'm not going to tell you what is and isn't in your cattle. But I want to give you a learning tool so you can judge your own cattle and other cattle(and horses) and make decisions now and in the future. If one would measure the girth to be equal or better to the rump length
would that be a more balanced cow. If the shoulder width is the same as the rump length does the animal look more balanced. If a female, does this effect her maternal ability. Answers that don't come all at once instantly, but as we learn with patience.

Since Txag suggested I'll put my two cents in.

First let me say that I agree with everything that Cattle_gal just told you.

You need to decide what you think that you cows are missing, then look for a bull that puts some of those traits into his offspring. It's hard sometime to tell from pictures, but, the bulls that you are interested in find pics of some of their offspring and see if that's really what you are looking for.

Like I said it's hard to tell from pics, so you might ask ranchers that live around you to look at the cattle in person and get their opinions. You will probably get better opinions that way.

That's my two cents.

thats not what i mean, i mean what to you think of them in general what you would want to change or see in them, and what you like about them

The two pictures of the calves on halters are really too grainy to get much definition.. it's hard to tell much on black calves in a picture, especially when they are fitted.

When you take the pictures, try getting down more beside and behind the animal, instead of standing up looking down.

CowShowGurl-

First of all i'll agree with the previous poster that said its hard to tell about black cattle in photographs in general, especially fitted ones. In addition, follow his or her advice about getting lower when you take pictures of cattle, it will make them look TONS better. there is a good thread on here about livestock photography i recommend.

Having said all that:

Peanut has a nice feminine head but i can see her being a little short like you said. No big deal though, she is still nice. getting lower when you take the next picture will make her look so much better.

KC- Also nice, could use more length and more butt.

Maverick- Not a good picture to judge but looks like could use some more in the hindquarters to me.

Babygurl- could use some more depth and butt as well but will grow out to make a nice cow.

keep up the good work.

Thanks on your opinions on them. The show calves my cousin took them while I was showing and he's not really good with my camara. The pastured cows they where quick pics cause it was fixin to start raining if I get some more time and it clears up here soon(Ga.) I'll get some new ones that are better

Latest posts