pics of my 100% grassfed animals

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
20 mo. old bred heifer
oct_1st_024.JPG

The bull calf in front was born in june.
oct_1st_003.JPG

My pastures are looking good, hopefully I won't start feeding hay till January unless the snow gets too deep before then.

Looks good! Is that a Longhorn bull covering those young cows......whooooowee look out...the Angus mafia is going to be after your hide

Sorry to all the LH haters but I want some small calves out of these heifers. I lost a big calf this spring out of a first calf heifer and also injured the heifer a little. I know the results won't be as wide as I like but there are advantages to the LH such as disease resistance, feed to weight conversion heat/cold tolerance, excellent disposition and a general ruggedness. Also my customers are health nuts and prefer a leaner meat. Can't wait to see what the calves look like in the spring!

Trying to be helpful, there are a lot better options out there for bulls. Your cattle are too large framed and not deep enough to start. Longhorn will not help that area. Ultra-lean is what hurts the grassfed sector and you need to learn your product's benefits and educate your customers. Good forage based breeding stock should always have low birth weights and give the beef quality you need.

Thanks Allforage sounds like you know a little about grassfed. What would be some good bulls in your opinion for me to use next season on my second calf cows?

Here's a worm for you Tennessee Tuxedo!

ohiosteve, you could try a Dexter bull if you want small birthweight calves. There are even polled ones available if you want. In 12 years, our smallest calf was probably 30# and the largest was 70#.

Gale Seddon":6sxw6i5p said:

ohiosteve, you could try a Dexter bull if you want small birthweight calves. There are even polled ones available if you want. In 12 years, our smallest calf was probably 30# and the largest was 70#.

Gale ain't crazy :cowboy: My mother had a Dexter bull that she was using on Jersey heifers. She sold him to a friend of mine that had a herd of baldy heifers that he wanted to have calve as carefree as possible since he was 2 hours from the herd. After the calves were a few months old I went by and checked them out. I was pretty impressed. Yes the calves were shorter but they were thick rascals. I think he figured that most of them weighed in the mid 50's when born.

Appalach cattle is over there in Ohio with you. He has some good angus bulls that would calve easy enough for your heifers, I would pm him if I were you. I could've fixed you up earlier this spring, but we are sold out for the year. If you are wanting to sell grassfed beef, I would recommend using genetics that are suitable for producing a good product. Our Ohlde cattle do exactly that. Appalach has similar genetics.

i bought a red poll bull to breed angus cows and heifers to, i will know more next spring about his calving ease, and they are supposed to do well in a grass based program. i really like the bull. very quiet on the farm never know he is here. and easy to handle.

HOSS":1eo66avy said:
Gale Seddon":1eo66avy said:

Gale ain't crazy :cowboy: My mother had a Dexter bull that she was using on Jersey heifers. She sold him to a friend of mine that had a herd of baldy heifers that he wanted to have calve as carefree as possible since he was 2 hours from the herd. After the calves were a few months old I went by and checked them out. I was pretty impressed. Yes the calves were shorter but they were thick rascals. I think he figured that most of them weighed in the mid 50's when born.

Thanks Hoss, but they ain't gonna use no stinkin' Dexter on their cows. :lol2: I will add, however, that the 30-pounder bull grew up and was sold to a woman who has an assortment of breeds, and that bull has bred everything put in front of him, including the Holsteins. Where there's a hill, there's a way. 8)

Now that would have been a sight Gale :lol: I hope he was called Tigger ,cause he must have been able to bounce pretty darn high to breed the Holsteins .. :lol2: :p

A friend of ours raises Dexter's and his best bull customers buy them just for heifers and the calves are terminal . :tiphat:

Latest posts